Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

My look on the future...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

My look on the future... Empty
PostSubject: My look on the future...   My look on the future... EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 9:54 pm

I hope you enjoy reading this post which will soon be published onto my blog...

Now that the club is becoming 'stable', with the introduction of the new board, the improving results and the positive fans meeting I feel it's sensible to start putting together some long and short term plans. Targets are what motivates a football club and it's important, for a big club like us, those targets are not set to low or indeed to high, like they have been in the past.

We have long suffered as a football club, and thanks to the dedication of the team, Peter Reid and Carl Fletcher, the staff, the fans and most importantly James Brent. Brent is a man I have criticized before however we must remember this was a man that was aware that there was light at the end of the tunnel, and his effort in saving the club will go down in history. His recent interview (about PAFC being days from liquidation) suggests that saving the club was harder than many initially thought. It's awful to think the club we all support could so easily have ceased to exist, but luckily there was one man who could save us, and he wasn't going to let BG run us into the ground by giving Kevin Heaney another month or so.

Some other clubs supporters have suggested that we should not be thinking about promotion, and that we are being very arrogant and ignorant in our approach to rebuilding the team, I simply don't understand why. Plymouth Argyle FC has proved it can be a sustainable football club in the championship, though I still feel our true level lies at the top of league 1/bottom of the championship and it really wouldn't surprise me if we became a yo-yo club between the two levels, which in my opinion are really not that different. Before the previous board started getting greedy and became fully focused on the world cup, drawing their intentions away from the club, we were a sustainable championship club, we were achieving high crowds and we had a very prosperous team under 2 good managers, Tony Pulis, and Ian Holloway who have now gone on to manage in the premiership. I don't think its unreasonable to aim for the championship again. We have more potential as a football club than being in League 2.

Obviously, our short term aim has to be staying in the football league, and with the addition of an experienced mentor I think we are going the right away about that. The current side look decent and with the right direction, the potential is there to stay in this league. As far as I understand, there are a lot of player contracts ending this coming summer, and I can't see many of them being extended apart from a few, and it's also important that if our younger prospects (i.e. Young and Lecointe) are to depart for bigger things, we should make sure we receive a reasonable fee and not let them go for the pittance we lost players like BWP and Noone for. This summer is going to be another summer of putting together a new team, luckily Fletcher's (or whoever is in charge then) task is not as difficult as Reid's, as I am sure he will have a bit of a budget and we will be able to buy some good players and not throw a bunch of kids together which we were forced into last time.

Next season could be a huge season, assuming we remain in the football league, we should be looking to push for League 1, as we surely can't allow ourselves to be stuck down here for to long. I hear we have one of the largest budgets/revenue streams in the League and hopefully this will enable us make that push. Perhaps with the right team balance and the support from the fans, the club can move on and try to get back into League 1 and start competing once again, which will be a pleasure to see. League 1 will be a starting point, a League in which to build and prepare to maybe move even further. The standard in League 1 (in my opinion) is so much better than in League 2, the pitches are better and the teams seem to be miles ahead of those down here, so I look forward to maybe seeing some good games once again, and to be inviting some bigger sides down to Home Park in the League.

When we were in the championship, sitting pretty and doing fairly well every season, we took it for granted, now some of us will be thinking the Championship is a million miles away, but it's really not. For a city of this size, boasting a big club, with a big stadium and an honest hard working attitude, the championship may not be as far as it seems. Now I am not suggesting we go on a spending spree, steady progress is what we need, and I am not being over-optimistic, the championship is where we could end up.

The football club is finally back in the hands of people who care, and the supporters are finally being given a say. This is our football club, and I am sure you will all join me in saying we are VERY proud of it. We didn't let PAFC die, we kept it alive, and it's thanks to everybody at the club, and many people that have previously been at the club. Lets not stop there, we are Plymouth Argyle, we can aim for bigger and better.

I am to young to remember when we were in Division 3, and near the bottom before David Friio turned up, I am sure not many expected championship football then, so why not expect it now? COYG

Thanks for reading.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My look on the future...   My look on the future... EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 10:51 pm

Blimey Cobi - you are syndicated .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My look on the future...   My look on the future... EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 10:53 pm

greengenes wrote:
Blimey Cobi - you are syndicated .

Which one of these would that be
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Laughing
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: My look on the future...   My look on the future... EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 10:55 pm

As it stands, you've started 6 out of ten latest threads.

I know you can't really help yourself, but sometimes less is more Cobi. It's part of what's got you in trouble in the past.

(I mean this constructively, too)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My look on the future...   My look on the future... EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 11:27 pm

Cobi, when i post this i'm trying to help you.

Stop posting so much, its why people urmmm how can i put this, get annoyed easily with you? Because all i can see is 'pitbull' 'pitbull' 'pitbull' everywhere.

Not a bad article, so maybe try and stick to 1-2 a week?
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: My look on the future...   My look on the future... EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 12:37 am

It's not how often you post... It's what you say when you do.

And Cobi isn't saying anything that hasn't been "done to death", "literally dozens of times".

Or anything that he won't change his mind about next week anyway.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My look on the future...   My look on the future... EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 12:52 am

He's a blank canvas waiting for the right paintbrush.
I wish he would hurry up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My look on the future...   My look on the future... EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 3:43 am

I read that post thinking WF planet is this loon on!!
then i read that Pitbull is actually Cobi and i wasn't surprised in the least, back to creating multi accounts i see.
How is your wig collection these days?
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: My look on the future...   My look on the future... EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 7:55 am

My look into the future - Darlo!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My look on the future...   My look on the future... EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 8:20 am

punchdrunk wrote:
then i read that Pitbull is actually Cobi and i wasn't surprised in the least, back to creating multi accounts i see.

multi accounts? I changed my username?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My look on the future...   My look on the future... EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 2:08 pm

Pitbull wrote:
punchdrunk wrote:

multi accounts? I changed my username?

Why? just out of interest like
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My look on the future...   My look on the future... Empty

Back to top Go down

My look on the future...
Page 1 of 1