Charlie Wood
Freathy
Mapperley, darling
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 1:31 pm

Honest answers - Will we stay up with the current team and manager?

I'm really not sure, should get a good indication against a very good opposition on saturday.
Back to top Go down

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Yes we will. The team has improved recently, although we are still a striker light. Get an additional forward in and we should be OK.
Back to top Go down

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 1:39 pm

Yes we will
Back to top Go down

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 1:51 pm

Hope we do, but am not convinced - yet.

Certainly the standard in League 2 is dire, and make no mistake we are where we are because we are dire. Results don't lie. We are improving, but we have a squad of inexperienced youngsters and loanees being led by some old lags (who are of questionable fitness). If the Gods smile on us and we can steal a few away points, we might just be okay.
Back to top Go down

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 2:17 pm

At the moment I am thinking maybe, this has improved from before Burton when it was no way, win against Crawley and it might change to probably.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 2:21 pm

whenever we pick up points the others around us do too, bad sign.

we cant string together a run of results, bad sign.

we have a piss poor disapline record, resulting in suspensions at the wrong time, bad sign.

we are down in my books, but having said that, im turning aviva for the trip to port vale, bring on the flag cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 2:57 pm

It's the wrong question in my opinion.
Relegation shouldn't even be a possibility. This season we should be looking to BUILD a team that will be good enough for a strong promotion push next season.... this is L2, Division 4 ! To aim to escape relegation alone is just not enough.
I don't want another McCauleyesqe stagnation for years under whatever excuse is trotted out... and we have already seen the trial run of the M7 excuse laid out by the CPers who still seem to be running the club's public face. Absolute nonsense. This club is plainly big enough to get out of this division toute suite.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 6:49 pm

As the squad currently is - no! We get the odd result but are completely incapable of putting any sort of run together.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 7:05 pm

I think we probably will...just...it'll be tight but if the same atmosphere and sense of unity infects HP as was seen in the home games following the 10 point deduction last season that will help at the sharp end.

As Penz says, though, that is nowhere near good enough and we'd better not be being asked the same question next season.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 7:14 pm

Be positive guys ! Take a leaf out of the Pasoti book on how to think realistically about Argyle.

They've got to get it right one year out of three surely ?. Rolling Eyes

Trust in Stapes, Sturrock, Todd, Reid, Ridsdale, Fletch and Brent of course.
Back to top Go down
swampy

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 11:10 am

Just I think but another striker is a must to ensure it. Next season nothing less than the play offs will be good enough. Deadwood out in the summer, the few on unrealistic 4th division wages off the wage bill and with our gates we certainly ought to be able to build a squad in the summer good enough for the top 7 minimum.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 12:04 pm

I think we will.

Our starting eleven is good enough to beat most teams in this pisspoor league. The key will be wheeling them out often enough, avoiding injury and suspension. I am assuming that we'll be able to do so often enough to win maybe 5 or 6 of our home games, with a couple of wins on the road and the odd draw I'd reckon that'd be enough to avoid the drop. We'll be bottom 6 but will have enough to finish above two others.

I hope.

Then as Penz says, the only thing we should be doing is building a side to win promotion asap.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 4:15 pm

We'll stay up if we stiffen our striker options............Chadwick needs to stay fit........which he didn't last time around............one of the reasons why he was released........another experienced big striker please.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Argyle need 8 wins and a draw or two from 20 games to be in with a good shout of avoiding the drop if previous seasons are anything to go by.Not impossilble but quite daunting,i still think we need another striker on the books-Chadwick injury prone,Feeney virtually non scoring,Lecointe a rookie,Sutherland not really doing the business.If that can be addressed then i would back Argyle to stay up,if not....
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 4:59 pm

I like to think we will stay up but will wait and see what happens in the transfer window. 50 /50!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 6:05 pm

Don't hold your breath. Unless Trigger comes back and plays for free - thus beating the cap - I will be interested if we sign anyone else. But, if Walton continues to knock them in and if his partnership with The Legend in the middle blossoms, we may not actually need anyone.
Back to top Go down
125+1

125+1

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyWed Jan 18, 2012 6:59 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
Relegation shouldn't even be a possibility. This season we should be looking to BUILD a team that will be good enough for a strong promotion push next season.... this is L2, Division 4 ! To aim to escape relegation alone is just not enough.
I don't want another McCauleyesqe stagnation for years under whatever excuse is trotted out... and we have already seen the trial run of the M7 excuse laid out by the CPers who still seem to be running the club's public face. Absolute nonsense. This club is plainly big enough to get out of this division toute suite.

I think you have it wrong, M7 aside, this season was always about trying to stay in the league. We have alot of players on alot of money whose contratc are up at the end of the season. Reid never really had much chance to build a squad at the beggining of the season and by the time Brent took over the window was shut. We have the league checking every transaction with a fine tooth comb, and lets face it, even if Brent bent the rules, splashed loads of cash on players and we still went down, where would that leave the clubs finances.

This is a season of off field stability and hopefully on field survival. IF we stay up, for the first time in 2 seasons the club will be able to have a proper pre-season, sign players they really want and mount a sustainable challenge on L2.

This season was never about challenging for the league.

Back to top Go down

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 1:04 pm

I hate it when fans from other clubs are saying we should be looking to build a sustainable league 2 club. We deserve a championship club, have had one before and proved we can sustain a championship team. END OFF, WE DONT BELONG HERE!
Back to top Go down

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 1:28 pm

125+1 wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:

I think you have it wrong, M7 aside, this season was always about trying to stay in the league. We have alot of players on alot of money whose contratc are up at the end of the season. Reid never really had much chance to build a squad at the beggining of the season and by the time Brent took over the window was shut. We have the league checking every transaction with a fine tooth comb, and lets face it, even if Brent bent the rules, splashed loads of cash on players and we still went down, where would that leave the clubs finances.

This is a season of off field stability and hopefully on field survival. IF we stay up, for the first time in 2 seasons the club will be able to have a proper pre-season, sign players they really want and mount a sustainable challenge on L2.

This season was never about challenging for the league.

Ecatly. Next season should be built around a promotion push, as we will be released from paying the last of our Championship players. This season we need to stay alive.
Back to top Go down

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 1:30 pm

Pitbull wrote:
I hate it when fans from other clubs are saying we should be looking to build a sustainable league 2 club. We deserve a championship club, have had one before and proved we can sustain a championship team. END OFF, WE DONT BELONG HERE!

Cobi your arrogance is breathtaking, it truly is. How much time did you have for Leeds or Nottm FOrest fans moaning that thier club didnt belong in league 2? We do belong in this league, its where results have placed us. The club cannot sustain CHampionship levle consistently, our true level is top of league 1/bottom of the championship.
Back to top Go down

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 2:44 pm

One of our possible new mentors
Quote :
"Walsall was a firefighting job, we were eight points adrift, stayed up by the skin of our teeth and did the same the following year."
That will sell a lot of season tickets next season. I can hardly contain myself.
What a mess.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 3:06 pm

Womble wrote:
Pitbull wrote:

Cobi your arrogance is breathtaking, it truly is. How much time did you have for Leeds or Nottm FOrest fans moaning that thier club didnt belong in league 2? We do belong in this league, its where results have placed us. The club cannot sustain CHampionship levle consistently, our true level is top of league 1/bottom of the championship.

Why hasn't the club been able to sustain championship level consistently?
Back to top Go down

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 3:24 pm

We have the club we deserve, Norwich, Leeds and Forest are upper tier clubs because they consistently put 25,000+ bums on seats week in week out, I would like Argyle to mirror their support with their league position but that will take a little time, having said that a new striker would help a lot.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 3:32 pm

I think we will stay up, just. I am not sure about the club we deserve, certainly the one we have been left with.

Stay up, then consolidate and build next season.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? EmptyThu Jan 19, 2012 3:38 pm

Iggy wrote:
We have the club we deserve, Norwich, Leeds and Forest are upper tier clubs because they consistently put 25,000+ bums on seats week in week out, I would like Argyle to mirror their support with their league position but that will take a little time, having said that a new striker would help a lot.

So what about when we were putting 25000 bums on seats when clubs like Southampton,Norwich and Ipswich were getting lesser gates,why didn't we get the club we deserve then? Or when we averaged 16400 in the first season in the CCC,why didn't we deserve as much progress as Cardiff,Swansea and Bristol City,who all averaged less in their first seasons? Why did Blackpool deserve premier league football on gates of 8000? Put it this way,do you seriously think that if those clubs had the same history as us,their support would be any better?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Will we stay up? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Will we stay up?   Will we stay up? Empty

Back to top Go down

Will we stay up?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next