Foxy

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 6:43 pm

Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Elias wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Elias wrote:
Bastards to a man.

Hatched a plot to sink them this week, back them to win every game. Got 9/2 yesterday to win league. I had some of that.
9/2 to win todays game.....i had that too.....

Thatll finish them i thought.

Bugger

But richer.

I hate them, please somebody somewhere. Stop them

Why, Elias? Are you a closet Forest/Derby/Coventry fan?!

No mate, they are the reason for our clubs implosion in recent years.

Ah, I see - the Holloway debacle. Yes, true but i guess they only went after a successful manager. I blamed him and our board for it....and he did get relegated with them

Indeed the worst manager we've had in recent times, couldn't handle a big club, but as they say the rest is history.
Back to top Go down

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 10:11 pm

Hang on another greeky two teams, we do have some wankers on here but on the whole we are loyal to our own team only. Scummy plastics.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 10:17 pm

Amsterdamage wrote:
Hang on another greeky two teams, we do have some wankers on here but on the whole we are loyal to our own team only. Scummy plastics.

You gotta laugh though. Who'd a fought just a few months ago we'd have plastic Greek Leicester fans on here lapping up the glory. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Foxy

Foxy

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 1:34 pm

Amsterdamage wrote:

You said it!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 5:01 pm

Foxy wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Elias wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Elias wrote:
Bastards to a man.

Hatched a plot to sink them this week, back them to win every game. Got 9/2 yesterday to win league. I had some of that.

Bugger

But richer.

Ah, I see - the Holloway debacle. Yes, true but i guess they only went after a successful manager. I blamed him and our board for it....and he did get relegated with them

Indeed the worst manager we've had in recent times, couldn't handle a big club, but as they say the rest is history.

Leicester were crap for years and very much on a downward spiral before Holloway took over,they were one of the teams that you were always very disappointed not to get three points against.Going down was probably the best thing that could have happened to them-new broom and all that.If Holloway hadn't taken them down,then it was a reasonable bet that someone else would have-he made a big mistake career wise [if not financially]in moving there but Argyle fans who were as frustrated as he obviously became with the in situ board at HP understood why,if dismayed at the way he went about it.I wouldn't say that Leicester at that time were any bigger than QPR and Holloway did reasonably well there,which would seem to negate the "can't handle it" theory-who knows he may have put Leicester back on the upward path again if given the chance in the same way as he did at Rangers.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 5:40 pm

Dick Trickle wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Elias wrote:
Bastards to a man.

Bugger

But richer.

MK Dons Very Happy

The real wimbledon.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 5:41 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Foxy wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Elias wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Elias wrote:
Bastards to a man.

Bugger

But richer.

Leicester were crap for years and very much on a downward spiral before Holloway took over,they were one of the teams that you were always very disappointed not to get three points against.Going down was probably the best thing that could have happened to them-new broom and all that.If Holloway hadn't taken them down,then it was a reasonable bet that someone else would have-he made a big mistake career wise [if not financially]in moving there but Argyle fans who were as frustrated as he obviously became with the in situ board at HP understood why,if dismayed at the way he went about it.I wouldn't say that Leicester at that time were any bigger than QPR and Holloway did reasonably well there,which would seem to negate the "can't handle it" theory-who knows he may have put Leicester back on the upward path again if given the chance in the same way as he did at Rangers.

Point of order, we always did well against them at home park but we have only triumphed in leicester once.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 6:54 pm

Bristol Rovers, QPR, Leicester, Blackpool, Palace and Millwall were all relegated when Holloway was in charge for some stage of the season.

He either joined the club when they were in trouble and failed to save them or got sacked during the season and the club still went down.

QPR put him on gardening leave after discovering he went behind their back and talked to Leicester. This was before he came here.

And Greenskin, he joined Leicester in November when they were 17th in the league yet still took them down.

What makes you think he'd have turned Leicester around?

Argyle definitely got the best of him.
Back to top Go down

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 9:08 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Foxy wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Elias wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Elias wrote:
Bastards to a man.

Bugger

But richer.

I'd say a bunch of guys from Thailand with sackfuls of money turning up was the best thing that could have happened to them and it did shorely lol!
Back to top Go down

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 9:10 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Bristol Rovers, QPR, Leicester, Blackpool, Palace and Millwall were all relegated when Holloway was in charge for some stage of the season.

He either joined the club when they were in trouble and failed to save them or got sacked during the season and the club still went down.

QPR put him on gardening leave after discovering he went behind their back and talked to Leicester. This was before he came here.

And Greenskin, he joined Leicester in November when they were 17th in the league yet still took them down.

Didn't he even manage to spend the summers transfer budget in January, just before being sacked at Millwall who still went down?
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 9:32 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:

I'd say a bunch of guys from Thailand with sackfuls of money turning up was the best thing that could have happened to them and it did shorely lol!

The very rare cogent post from H.Tw@ esq.

Holloway is, was and has always been a fook'tard.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 11, 2016 11:30 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:

I'll correct myself.

Holloway left Palace after the opening 8 matches of the 13/14 season.

They had amassed 3 points!

Pulis came in not long after, and took them to mid table.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 1:47 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:

Because fairly obviously there was a precedence-he did the same at QPR, who were a basket case second tier team when Holloway took over-I can vouch for that because I watched them a fair few times when working in the vicinity. And Argyle didn't get the best of him-surely taking a lower mid table side on gates of 7000 to the premier league would merit that description? Holloway had a somewhat chequered career in the same way as many other long serving managers but you are putting a rather one sided slant on the man-he had a lot of success as well as failure and was a perfect fit for Argyle, no question in my mind that he would have taken us up had he been backed properly.
Back to top Go down

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 2:09 pm

As he did at Blackpool, he couldn't keep them up long term but that has more to do with the league structure than Ollies ability.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 3:25 pm

Why does the work of previous managers often get ignored.

Regarding Holloway I'm thinking Pulis at Argyle and you can add Simon Grayson at Blackpool.

Nigel Pearson at Leicester seems to be forgotten as has George Graham at Arsenal.

You never hear managers praise the previous incumbents. Professional jealousy maybe.

Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 4:08 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:

Regarding Holloway I'm thinking Pulis at Argyle and you can add Simon Grayson at Blackpool.

Nigel Pearson at Leicester seems to be forgotten as has George Graham at Arsenal.

You never hear managers praise the previous incumbents. Professional jealousy maybe.  

To be fair to Holloway, at Argyle he did acknowledge that Pulis had left him with a very solid structure which only needed fine tuning to be a highly competent CCC team, a job which he duly carried out with some excellent signings. Grayson undoubtedly did very well at Blackpool but the fact is that they finished 19th and 16th in the second tier in the one and a half seasons that he was in charge-Holloway had some money to spend, although not an excessive amount, and spent it well on players like Adam and Vaughan to finish the job.
Back to top Go down

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 4:10 pm

Rollo Tomasi wrote:

Agree except 3rd line. George Graham had started mysteriously paying over the odds for rubbish Scandinavian midfielders and in any case Bruce Rioch preceded Wenger. Nigel Pearson was an unpleasant bully who dragged the clubs name through the mud, that sort of thing is very important to the owners.

Leicester's form can be perhaps attributed to the fact that they are a very good side, they have great team spirit, work their socks off and have players on the pitch playing in a formation that enhances their strength. Yet they are seemingly unplayable at the minute.

Football can be so simple at times, or at least made to look simple!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 4:11 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:

To be fair to Holloway, at Argyle he did acknowledge that Pulis had left him with a very solid structure which only needed fine tuning to be a highly competent CCC team, a job which he duly carried out with some excellent signings. Grayson undoubtedly did very well at Blackpool but the fact is that they finished 19th and 16th in the second tier in the one and a half seasons that he was in charge-Holloway had some money to spend, although not an excessive amount, and spent it well on players like Adam and Vaughan to finish the job.  

Stand corrected,Grayson signed Vaughan.
Back to top Go down

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 4:13 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Rollo Tomasi wrote:

Holloway also seemed to think that he could sign players at will. Jermaine Easter and Rory Fallon were signed and hardly started, his transfer policy seemed to consist of chucking shit at a wall and hoping some of it stuck. The biggest shame was that when he left, a patently out of his septh Stapes jumped at the chance to get his buddy Sturrock back and unsurprisingly it all turned to shit.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 4:14 pm

Pulis's departure was a bit unusual too. It isn't often that managers leave clubs - they usually get the boot and they usually get that due to poor results. That wasn't the case here for Holloway. He took on a solid core of players with the club still on the up after a few successful years. Obviously Holloway still had to do what he did but everything was geared up and ready to go which must be far easier than stopping a slide.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Rollo Tomasi

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 5:47 pm

Greenskin, Holloway left QPR (after five years) in the more or less the same position as when he joined (fighting relegation from the second tier). Not sure that counts as 'turning them around'.

Hugh, I didn't mean literally the manager before. I meant work done by previous managers of that club. Graham's and Don Howe's work on the back four was the catalyst for the success to come.

And Pearson's alleged bullying is irrelevant. They finished last season brilliantly.

And i agree with SFD in that Pulis and Holloway both left for supposed bigger clubs. Given where both clubs are in the current pyramid then who would say they got it wrong.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 5:59 pm

I didn't say anything about Holloway's departure.
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 6:16 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Pulis's departure was a bit unusual too. It isn't often that managers leave clubs - they usually get the boot and they usually get that due to poor results. That wasn't the case here for Holloway. He took on a solid core of players with the club still on the up after a few successful years. Obviously Holloway still had to do what he did but everything was geared up and ready to go which must be far easier than stopping a slide.

Misunderstood.

I thought you were lumping Pulis' and Holloway's departures in similar fashions.

Stand corrected then.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 10:25 pm

Tony Pulis was only ever here as a holding position until Gerald Coates felt the time was right to take him back to Stoke against the hostility of the fan base. He did a grand job here with a dispirited squad and what he did on returning to Stoke is a matter of record. I said on here at the time of Stoke's ascension to the Prem I'd of liked him to take the England job as he seems to have the touch to make silk purses out of sows ears, and the England team at the team was definitely a sows ear.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 12, 2016 11:06 pm

Part of Pulis's problem is that he is seen as something of a roundhead rather than a cavalier. Most people immediately think: hard work, big blokes, great team shape, good at set pieces. It pretty much stops there.

Just imagine what all of that might add up to if he a got a chance with a serious contender... It wouldn't be tiki taka but it'd take some beating!

If he could pick from the world pool of players I wonder who he'd pick? It'd be interesting to find out!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lester. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lester.   Lester. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lester.
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next