The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain Empty
PostSubject: pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain   pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 12:05 am

Ridiculous' pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain hasn't been finished,

A PEDESTRIAN crossing leading to nowhere – branded “ridiculous” – has been built on a busy Plymouth road after weeks of roadworks.

The crossing on Mutley Plain, at the junction with North Hill, was built during 12 weeks of work by Highways UK.

Dipped kerbs have been put in allowing pedestrians to cross the notoriously busy road towards The Curry Corner takeaway – but railings prevents them from accessing the pavement on the other side.

Jason Beverley, aged 42, who travels through Mutley Plain several times a day for work, branded the crossing as “ridiculous”.

Mr Beverley, who lives in Mannamead, said: “I think it’s ridiculous and a waste of money. The roadworks caused absolute chaos and misery.

“To do all of this work and then tell people they can’t use the traffic island is lunacy. My concern is the millions it must have cost in chaos in the city and the damage it must have caused to business owners in Mutley Plain.”

Director of Highways UK Paul Beard told The Herald the crossing is not meant to be used at present.

He said: “At the moment they aren’t meant to be used. We’ve built them so they can be used in the future.”

Plymouth City Council will have the option of using the pedestrian crossing at a later date

Read more: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Ridiculous-crossing-Plymouth-s-Mutley-Plain-hasn/story-28116396-detail

My seven year old grandson pick this up on Sunday

pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain Mutley10
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain   pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 12:13 am

I think it a safety net for POI coming out of the The Fortescue   (only joking)  sunny

According to my son who walked pass this morning, a cap as now been cut out
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain   pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 11:44 am

update

Mutley Plain's new traffic lights have failed, causing tailbacks

HERE are reports of problems with new traffic lights on Mutley Plain this morning.

The lights, at the junction of Mutley Plain and North Hill, are reported to be off.

A worker in a business located near to the lights told The Herald that the lights have been off for a period of time this morning.

A spokesman in Plymouth's traffic control room said: "The traffic lights have failed and a man from Siemens is onsite trying to mend the signals."

Read more: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Mutley-Plain-s-new-traffic-lights-causing/story-28120529-detail/story.html#ixzz3qcHeWH60

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain   pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 12:22 pm

Tgwu wrote:
I think it a safety net for POI coming out of the The Fortescue   (only joking)  sunny

According to my son who walked pass this morning, a cap as now been cut out

I usually need more than railings to hold me up after a good old knees-up in the Forty on Friday nights. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain   pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 9:57 am

New traffic light out of action, but early morning traffic moving though the light with ease
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain   pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 12:59 pm

I'm off to the Underground on Mutley tomorrow night.
Better not fall for this one.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain   pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 1:39 pm

Well, what a joke after all that mayhem, As much as anyone can now quickly look up a few things on the increasingly censored internet ( won't be long before it is just a High St portal ), Highways UK who landed the contract for this nonsense, has an interesting Transport planning officer.... one of the head honchos who does the planning, such as the Mutley joke crossing and traffic mayhem. It's one of nearly 10 positions he holds apparently, a bit of a Roy Gardner by the looks of things, a bit of a Jimmy. You know the sort, can only spare an hour a week working on one job or the other. And of course, a string of dissolved companies. Seems like Dartford residents have a few complaints as well. Come from nowhere they have in 4 years, this company LOL, hoovering up all sort of contracts nationwide.
So what is the name of this concerned transport planner of the New Tory/Blair privatising era swallowing up tax payers money on Mutley, where the audit trail is almost impossible to follow ? Who is it that's saving us all from debtors' prison while ensuring the free traffic flow of Mutley ? Why, it's no one else but :-

Rupert Titus Beauchamp Lyons

There you go, if you made this sort of stuff up, people wouldn't believe you. And people have voted in this bunch of self serving goons to save us all from those nasty old government run institutions wasting our money with pointless spending. clown  clown  Laughing  jocolor

Rollo will be along in a minute telling me what a nice publicly spirited chap Titus is, doing road jobs for half the dosh public employees did them for.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain   pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 5:48 pm

Beggars belief, the war against the motorist by PCC continues apace, until about 20 years ago Plymouth had one of the finest road layouts in the country, since thoroughly bastardised by thoughtless narrowing, chicanes, speedhumps and bumps, traffic light overkill, filled in roundabouts and underpasses, bizarrely situated pedestrian and zebra crossings(Ebrington St, Charles Church end) inappropriate parking(North Rd West) and general piss poor planning by decision makers, one of whom has never driven a car but, surprise surprise is a militant cyclist, did I mention the multi millions thrown at cycle lanes FFS !!
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain   pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 6:11 pm

AstiSpumante wrote:
Beggars belief, the war against the motorist by PCC continues apace, until about 20 years ago Plymouth had one of the finest road layouts in the country, since thoroughly bastardised by thoughtless narrowing, chicanes, speedhumps and bumps, traffic light overkill, filled in roundabouts and underpasses, bizarrely situated pedestrian and zebra crossings(Ebrington St, Charles Church end) inappropriate parking(North Rd West) and general piss poor planning by decision makers, one of whom has never driven a car but, surprise surprise is a militant cyclist, did I mention the multi millions thrown at cycle lanes FFS !!

Bang on Asti. I'd add the comical junction on to Manadon roundabout from Crownhill where if you want to go up to Manamead you have to be in the outside lane, before cutting back across to the near side. Also the whole Cattedown/Prince Rock re-routing fiasco. It's bad enough for locals who've got used to it, let alone visitors to the city.

Clueless fuckwits.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain   pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 7:25 pm

Thanks/OK If it wasn't so tragic it would be funny.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain   pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 8:10 pm

I'm sure there's a designer in Amey Highways or the council whose remit is "how can I produce a design which will really feck up the plymouth motorists"

Mutley Plain
A38 exit through Prince Rock
Mini roundabout end of Laira narrows/Mullet Road
Northern road access from Tavistock
Lane markings on the Crabtree approach to Marsh Mills roundabout, can't see the fecking things in the rain

Fecking fed up with it, nearly as bad as Exeter (and that's bad!!)
Back to top Go down
Lord Melbury

PostSubject: Re: pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain   pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 8:43 pm

At the time the road layout was changed on the Plymouth end of Laira bridge I remember reading that the PCC road planner was a cyclist who couldn't drive. Sounds about right.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain   pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 10:38 pm

So, that's it, the traffic problems are the fault of the pedestrian walk ways, the bus lanes and the cycle paths. Laughing
Nothing to do with the proliferation of traffic lights, flow design and the ludicrous Drake Circus car park access design nightmare. The latest road out to Exeter at Cattedown is just crazy.
I think we all know the main trouble spots, and I recognise all the above, but none of them are caused by cycle paths. I am surprised, though, just how much is being spent on cycle paths, and wonder if the money is coming from elsewhere. As a keen cyclist, motorist and pedestrian myself, there seems to be bad planning underneath it all.
Nice new cycle path over the old goods Laira Bridge, and on to Billacombe,  very swish Very Happy . And also another through the bottom of Central Park by the sorting office to Ford Park Cemetery. I think that one might have something to do with the land share scheme. Rather us cyclists on our own dedicated paths in the city than the plethora of lycra clad Wiggo grandads causing mayhem on the Yelverton road.
Back to top Go down
Lord Melbury

PostSubject: Re: pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain   pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 11:03 pm

A lot of the funding for cycle paths comes from the SUSTRANS quango I think.
Hate to think how much has been wasted spent on the old bridge over the Plym, complete with changing colour lights.
Hopefully it will keep some of the cycle Nazis off the cycle path on the other side of the dual carriageway who always kick off when I have the audacity to wait for a gap in the traffic before attempting to pull out onto the main road when leaving the boatyard.

Regarding the traffic arrangement at the end of the Embankment where Gdynia Way traffic joins Marsh Mills bound traffic from Embankment Rd, it looks like an accident waiting to happen but I have yet to see any problems there. Most traffic merges in turn, even without any signage which should warn of the dodgy layout.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain   pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain Empty

Back to top Go down

pedestrian crossing on Plymouth's Mutley Plain
Page 1 of 1