Dick Trickle
Tringreen
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2015 1:10 pm

Cornish Chris wrote:
Who was the last manager to leave Argyle and get another job? Sturrock?

fletcher if you count Bournemouth u18 manager bit
Back to top Go down

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2015 1:12 pm

ejh wrote:
I'm surprised Sheridan has taken the Newport job in honesty.

His CV and record has been with higher challenges and bigger clubs, and he's done reasonably well in meeting those objectives.

He must have been desperate to get back into football.

you cant afford to sty out the game for long these days. I'm sure he is going there to keep his cv uptodate while he applies for other jobs.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2015 1:17 pm

And if he keeps them in the league by the end of the season it will be 2 basket cases that he has worked wonders for!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2015 8:45 pm

The amount of shit Shez still takes from Argyle fans astounds me. Good luck Shez, no hate from this keyboard.
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 04, 2015 11:41 pm

Coxside_Green wrote:
The amount of shit Shez still takes from Argyle fans astounds me.  Good luck Shez, no hate from this keyboard.

I'll second that!
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 12:27 am

Sheridan did well for us. Just not well enough.

He left us far stronger than we were on his arrival but with the talent he had at his disposal he ultimately under-achieved. Overall we should probably be grateful but the over-riding feeling I have is "meh". He just didn't quite fit and it never quite worked out as it might have.

That said he joins the ever-growing list of those who curried no favour with the Nooligans and, one way or another, became a target for them.

Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 1:09 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

He left us far stronger than we were on his arrival but with the talent he had at his disposal he ultimately under-achieved. Overall we should probably be grateful but the over-riding feeling I have is "meh". He just didn't quite fit and it never quite worked out as it might have.

That said he joins the ever-growing list of those who curried no favour with the Nooligans and, one way or another, became a target for them.

I Say the exact same thing about Peter Reid for the first 6 months off his time here that with the talent he had at his disposal he ultimately under-achieved badly. Oh and before anyone mentions the admin era that didnt start till after christmas hence why i said the first 6 months. He certainly wasnt a manager good enough to do the job sheridan did for us.

Sheridan improved our league position every year i say that he did a better job than most will give him credit for simply because they just didn't like him which is another case for rewriting history to suit the agenda.
Del Bhey right now is reaping the rewards of inheriting a strong squad and ethos which he has been able to do his thing and build on solid foundations putting his mark on it. We can only hope after Del Bhey goes when ever that is the next manager is afforded the same luxury.

Sheridan isnt a manager you could say is a long term fit for any club but for 2-3 years he can certainly do a good steady job for you and be ready to hand it over to someone to push on to another level.

the guy deserves nothing but good will from argyle.
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 7:40 am

Angry wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

I Say the exact same thing about Peter Reid for the first 6 months off his time here that with the talent he had at his disposal he ultimately under-achieved badly. Oh and before anyone mentions the admin era that didnt start till after christmas hence why i said the first 6 months. He certainly wasnt a manager good enough to do the job sheridan did for us.

Sheridan improved our league position every year i say that he did a better job than most will give him credit for simply because they just didn't like him which is another case for rewriting history to suit the agenda.
Del Bhey right now is reaping the rewards of inheriting a strong squad and ethos which he has been able to do his thing and build on solid foundations putting his mark on it. We can only hope after Del Bhey goes when ever that is the next manager is afforded the same luxury.

Sheridan isnt a manager you could say is a long term fit for any club but for 2-3 years he can certainly do a good steady job for you and be ready to hand it over to someone to push on to another level.

the guy deserves nothing but good will from argyle.

What Angry & SFD said, 'ere 'ere
Back to top Go down
womble

womble

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 8:08 am

I agree with every word of Angry's post. Sheridan deserves respect from the fans.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 8:18 am

Shez picked up a joke of a club at the bottom of the league and left it in a stable healthy position for the next fella to take the reins. He basically did a Pulis-esque job for us. It wasn't pretty at times but he was precisely what was needed in the circumstances.

His undermining by the Club President and others on the official club mouthpiece Forum was a disgrace.

Back to top Go down
hippo

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 8:56 am

^ This
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 9:24 am

For Sheridan to leave PAFC in a stable healthy position you are suggesting that he was more than incharge of a group of players that he whipped into reasonable shape.....he certainly was no more than that......beyond the changing room he had no influence on PAFC becoming more stable and healthy and that others have to be thanked for doing that.....No1 enemy James Brent must have been involved a teeny weeny bit in doing that whatever his thoughts or his motives for doing so were.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 9:28 am

Fcol....we're talking about on field matters and team performance....have one of these raised eyebrow
Back to top Go down

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 9:44 am

zyph wrote:
...he certainly was no more than that......beyond the changing room he had no influence on PAFC becoming more stable and healthy
I agree with that, and what's more he wasn't interested in building a club that was a stop gap. Professional footballers lead their whole life like that trapsing up and down the country. Given the bufget and the infighting, he did a very good job on the team, but that all fell apart when the players suddenly realised they were back to square one in division 4 next season.

And of course, I wouldn't say the "club" is healthy at all at present. Still a fanbase divided, no sign of any rebuild, directors back on the board from the disaster days to save it's skin........not my idea of a healthy club. The only health to be had at the club is the new manager and the players that came with him. Perhaps Derek Adams should own the club and steer it, rather than the reluctant speculator. Too much of the planet is owned by the wrong people.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 11:00 am

zyph wrote:
For Sheridan to leave PAFC in a stable healthy position you are suggesting that he was more than incharge of a group of players that he whipped into reasonable shape.....he certainly was no more than that......beyond the changing room he had no influence on PAFC becoming more stable and healthy and that others have to be thanked for doing that.....No1 enemy James Brent must have been involved a teeny weeny bit in doing that whatever his thoughts or his motives for doing so were.

Well I was (quite obviously) referring to the playing side. That's what Shez was in charge of, players. Not property.
Back to top Go down

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 11:16 am

Czarcasm wrote:
zyph wrote:

Well I was (quite obviously) referring to the playing side. That's what Shez was in charge of, players. Not property.

So was i fwiw
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 05, 2015 1:15 pm

I think it was mentioned a month or so ago, but Shez was the lower league equivalent to Pulis. Both took on Argyle with zero first team morale, poor/ terrible on field management, and teams looking very likely for relegation. They both stabilised Argyle, got rid of some of the deadwood and made Argyle defensively strong.

This allowed Holloway/ Adams to add to the nucleus of the team and produce good sides.

Pulis only had one season with us, so may have got us promoted if he stayed longer, Shez almost achieved the feat but some of his management decisions were questionable at the end- but he still did a good but unspectacular job.

Certainly neither would be classed as our best managers, but they certainly are no-where near the worst.

Good luck to him at Newport.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 8:07 am

Newport have signed Tommy O'Sullivan and Jazzi Barnum-Bobb on loan from neighbours Cardiff.
Sky Bet

Both players will remain with County for a month, until November 14, and will come into contention for their debuts when Sky Bet League 2 promotion favourites Portsmouth visit Rodney Parade on Saturday.

Midfielder O'Sullivan is the Under-21 captain at Cardiff and has previous Football League experience having made five appearances during a loan spell at Port Vale last season.

Barnum-Bobb is a defender who made his senior debut for the Bluebirds against Coventry in the Capital One Cup in August 2014
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 8:50 am

Jazzi Barnum-Bobb Razz
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 10:23 am

And there was me thinking that Troy Archibald-Henville was the silliest name in football. He definitely still wins the award for sounding most like a hereditary peer though.
Back to top Go down

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 1:27 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
I think it was mentioned a month or so ago, but Shez was the lower league equivalent to Pulis. Both took on Argyle with zero first team morale, poor/ terrible on field management, and teams looking very likely for relegation. They both stabilised Argyle, got rid of some of the deadwood and made Argyle defensively strong.

This allowed Holloway/ Adams to add to the nucleus of the team and produce good sides.

Pulis only had one season with us, so may have got us promoted if he stayed longer, Shez almost achieved the feat but some of his management decisions were questionable at the end- but he still did a good but unspectacular job.

Certainly neither would be classed as our best managers, but they certainly are no-where near the worst.

I've got some respect for the stabilisation job Sheridan did but let's not make things up. He did nothing of the sort. We barely scraped into the last play-off position and at no point under his tenure did we seriously mount an automatic promotion bid.

Back to top Go down

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 3:33 pm

Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Chemical Ali wrote:

I've got some respect for the stabilisation job Sheridan did but let's not make things up. He did nothing of the sort. We barely scraped into the last play-off position and at no point under his tenure did we seriously mount an automatic promotion bid.

but we still got there though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: JohnShez1   JohnShez1 - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

JohnShez1
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2