The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tavistock man says Plymouth is 100% better then Exeter

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Tavistock man says Plymouth is 100% better then Exeter Empty
PostSubject: Tavistock man says Plymouth is 100% better then Exeter   Tavistock man says Plymouth is 100% better then Exeter EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 4:17 am

Author says Plymouth is '100 times better than Exeter

Author Ted Sherrell certainly finds plenty of inspiration in the countryside around Devon – he's just penned his 12th book of rural fiction.

The 73-year-old, from Tavistock, had his first novel published in 1978.

His latest tome, From the Banks of the Tamar, chalks up a dozen titles, although this is his third collection of short stories.

Nevertheless, he's again returned to his regular stomping ground: country life, particularly featuring West Devon.

The collection is published, as were most of his works, by Penzance-based United Writers Publications Ltd.

It features seven short tales, including The Show, The Poacher and The Pedigree Herd.

All the stories are set in the 1950s and feature a host of larger-than-life characters – many of which are based on real people.

"Some are composites but all are based loosely on someone I knew," said Ted. "I can't libel them, because they are all dead now, but they are people that I knew, as a boy, and who enriched village life.

"All my books are set in the Tamar Valley, an area I was born and bred in."

Ted is a farmer's son, raised in Bere Alston, who worked on the family farm.

But he's spread his wings too and in a full life has worked as a full- and part-time fireman, a salesman, insurance agent, shopkeeper, business advisor and "I even sold ice cream," he said.
And Ted has also been a magistrate, and served for 40 years as a Tavistock Town Councillor, and 30 years on West Devon Borough Council. He was recently made a Freeman of Tavistock.

"Now I write articles (including for the Tavistock Times)," he said. "I wouldn't call myself a journalist, but a professional writer.

"I love writing and I love writing tales. These are longish, short stories, I'm trying to develop characters.

"And I put in humour. That's crucial, it's there in everyday life. Great humour can even come out of grim situations."

Ted says his main inspirations are Laurie Lee and Thomas Hardy, two authors with a West Country connection. He also admires John Steinbeck and describes Of Mice and Men as "a wonderful book with a real power to it".

"Not that I've modelled myself on any of them," he said. "If I could write like them I'd be on the Booker list."

Ted's books, published in hardcover and as paperbacks, have nonetheless proved very successful.

His last collection, Back to the Tamar, hit the Western Morning News top ten list alongside such titles as Kate Atkinson's Life After Life, and John Williams' Stoner.

"The short stories sold well," said Ted. "If you have a huge novel, it's a commitment. But you can read short stories going to bed.

"The books sell reasonably well around the country, but obviously, mostly, in the West Country."

A life-long Plymouth Argyle supporter, Ted described Plymouth as "a great city" and said; "It gets undervalued, and a raw deal. It's esplanade is one of the best in the world. Plymouth beats Exeter a hundred times over. I love it."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock man says Plymouth is 100% better then Exeter   Tavistock man says Plymouth is 100% better then Exeter EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 8:00 am

Is this a direct extraction from Brent's Evening Herald ?

Tavistock man says Plymouth is 100% better then Exeter Pravda
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock man says Plymouth is 100% better then Exeter   Tavistock man says Plymouth is 100% better then Exeter EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 8:03 am

Punchdrunk wrote:

lol!
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock man says Plymouth is 100% better then Exeter   Tavistock man says Plymouth is 100% better then Exeter EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 8:58 am

Punchdrunk wrote:

Forgot to put it in, here is the link for the Brent Herald fans.

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news?page=2&listName=channelActivity&orderByOption=
Back to top Go down
MikeWN

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock man says Plymouth is 100% better then Exeter   Tavistock man says Plymouth is 100% better then Exeter EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 10:51 am

I think Plymouth is underrated, but 100 times over? Hmmm...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tavistock man says Plymouth is 100% better then Exeter   Tavistock man says Plymouth is 100% better then Exeter Empty

Back to top Go down

Tavistock man says Plymouth is 100% better then Exeter
Page 1 of 1