Superb post

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

Superb post Empty
PostSubject: Superb post   Superb post EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 3:27 pm

From JohnB on pasoti and one which I very much agree/identify with.

Page 4

I must say - after quite some thought - that parts of this thread disturb me.

Whatever our views on the original post - & mine are (for what it's worth!) that it is completely appropriate for a virtual community to speculate on this sort of thing about their club - I feel that some of the subsequent put-downs are damaging to this site.

PASOTI was pivotal in helping our club survive - we were a church of broad faith welcoming all (well, most!) as long as they were in support of the highest level objective - saving Plymouth Argyle.

A largely unforseen benefit of this coming together was that the club & its fan-base came back together, having drifted as far apart as it ever has been before in the preceding, catastrophic years.

However, when JB took over (thank you, Sir!) we moved into a different phase & I think that on occasions, many of the users of this site have forgotten what has made it one of the most successful, most enduring football fan's forums ever.

IJN has - very properly in my view - stated on several occasions that this site should remain independent to the Club, arguably for very good reasons. As such, I cannot see how it can be right for our Club's President - that's our Club's President - to, within minutes of the original post being written, completely ridicule & belittle what was a speculative question.

I wonder how that supporter is feeling about their club today?

I am sure that many - & on occasions I include myself in this (indeed this is one example) - stop themselves posting opposing views about topics because they are concerned about the 'high-level' response that their words will elicit.

This is certainly - in my view - not healthy for PASOTI & I don't think is helpful to the club's improved relationship with its supporters.

In not-quite-so recent years, I used to love reading the ascerbic yet bloody funny RotG - PASOTI though was always the place that I would come back to for breaking news & a more rounded perspective. Today, ATD is an engaging read & I am part of that virtual community - albeit there are a few too many conspiracy theorists on there for it to feel like my home. However increasingly I am feeling disengaged from PASOTI & after far too much reflection for my own good, I think it's because of the type of responses that this thread have generated.

What you say, & perhaps more importantly, is there anything we should be doing differently?
Back to top Go down

Superb post Empty
PostSubject: Re: Superb post   Superb post EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 3:32 pm

Agreed without reservation.

I was also struck by the dignity with which he carried himself.
Back to top Go down

Superb post Empty
PostSubject: Re: Superb post   Superb post EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 3:34 pm

agree totally
Back to top Go down

Superb post Empty
PostSubject: Re: Superb post   Superb post EmptyWed Jan 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Thanks for that Moist. Very interesting.
Jon B was never an admirer of my style and content over there, that's for sure cat and if he is getting the hump over the Baggo'isation that has been darkening that site, then there really must be a problem.
You are a member here Jon, and any input you have would be most welcome, we really do want all legal views and opinions and have no such totalitarian aspirations. Sometimes folk are happy, sometimes they are not, one should be able to express that without feeling pressure to conform to some party line.
We disagree here as well, but framed by a far more amicable backdrop on the whole.
Back to top Go down
JonB

JonB

Superb post Empty
PostSubject: Re: Superb post   Superb post EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 3:39 pm

Afternoon all,

Well - what a frenzied couple of days, eh?

Just a quick hello & a few thanks for the messages that have been sent over the last couple of days.

As I mentioned on PASOTI, I consider myself to be part of this site (& others) & the main reason I haven't posted before is purely - well largely - a technical one; the iPad interface needs looking at as trying to post on ATD makes my iPad Safari crash every time.

Again, as I've said on PASOTI (which I dearly want to draw breath & then get its strength back), I really don't like to engage in public, virtual one-to-ones but there are a couple of exceptions I'd like to make:

Charlie - thank you for your messages - if it wasn't for the iPad thing going on I would have replied sooner; it must have appeared bloody rude.

PP - Your comments above are both dignified & proportionate. Some time ago I broke my own rules & 'said' things over the internet that normally I wouldn't. In my weakest of mitigation (& it's nowhere near a defence) I was left astray by my good, close, but often nefarious friend Scrumpy Jack. I regret my words & I am sorry. I was bloody rude.

Jon

ps - w**kers.

There, settling in nicely.
Back to top Go down
http://www.grumpypig.co.uk
Greenskin

Greenskin

Superb post Empty
PostSubject: Re: Superb post   Superb post EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 3:55 pm

JonB wrote:
Afternoon all,

Just a quick hello & a few thanks for the messages that have been sent over the last couple of days.

As I mentioned on PASOTI, I consider myself to be part of this site (& others) & the main reason I haven't posted before is purely - well largely - a technical one; the iPad interface needs looking at as trying to post on ATD makes my iPad Safari crash every time.

Again, as I've said on PASOTI (which I dearly want to draw breath & then get its strength back), I really don't like to engage in public, virtual one-to-ones but there are a couple of exceptions I'd like to make:

Charlie - thank you for your messages - if it wasn't for the iPad thing going on I would have replied sooner; it must have appeared bloody rude.

PP - Your comments above are both dignified & proportionate. Some time ago I broke my own rules & 'said' things over the internet that normally I wouldn't. In my weakest of mitigation (& it's nowhere near a defence) I was left astray by my good, close, but often nefarious friend Scrumpy Jack. I regret my words & I am sorry. I was bloody rude.

Jon

ps - w**kers.

Welcome Jon,nice first post,thats the spirit!
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

Superb post Empty
PostSubject: Re: Superb post   Superb post EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 4:48 pm

Welcome JonB! Always enjoyed reading your posts over the road there, and glad to hear we have a good mutual friend in Mssr Scrumpy Jack, even if he can be a bit of one now and again.

As to the iPad issue, I will look into it but the site is run on a free-to-use forum platform provided by Forumotion and as such we don't have control over the technical back end of things. However, I'll see what I can find on their support forums for you.

Back to top Go down

Superb post Empty
PostSubject: Re: Superb post   Superb post EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 4:51 pm

I'm really disappointed with The Presidents posts.

Not Presidential at all.

I shouldn't of expected anything less after the last few weeks I suppose.

Welcome JonB
Back to top Go down

Superb post Empty
PostSubject: Re: Superb post   Superb post EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 6:44 pm

JonB wrote:
Afternoon all,

Jon

ps - w**kers.

I don't think I have welcomed anyone on here before but after that .... welcome! cheers
Back to top Go down

Superb post Empty
PostSubject: Re: Superb post   Superb post EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 9:06 pm

Welcome to ATD Jon.

Nothing wrong with giving a frank opinion Jon even if just now and again we overstep the mark, we're all human mate and good on you for achknowledging it.
Back to top Go down

Superb post Empty
PostSubject: Re: Superb post   Superb post EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi Jon, welcome.

You need to ditch that mate Scrumpy Jack. His long lost Cousin Henry Weston is much more refined - vintage in fact!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Superb post Empty
PostSubject: Re: Superb post   Superb post Empty

Back to top Go down

Superb post
Page 1 of 1