Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Aaron Spear (remember him?)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Aaron Spear (remember him?) Empty
PostSubject: Aaron Spear (remember him?)   Aaron Spear (remember him?) EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 12:36 am

Dubbed 'the next Wayne Rooney', we sold him aged 15 to Newcastle (who fought it out with Arsenal) for £250,000 in 2008. Dennis Wise, the then DOF made it his personal mission to sign him.

He's now 22 and plays in Sweden for Gallivare-Malmbergets after playing at about 4 different Icelandic clubs.

Gallivare-Malmbergets play in Swedish Division 2, have a stadium capacity of 1,000, and in 2010 had an average attendance of 215. They have lost 4 of their last 5 games and currently sit 10th in a division of 14.
Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Spear (remember him?)   Aaron Spear (remember him?) EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 6:17 am

Played a bit for Elburton Villa when home
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Spear (remember him?)   Aaron Spear (remember him?) EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 7:19 am

What went wrong there then....if he was such a good youngster ?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Spear (remember him?)   Aaron Spear (remember him?) EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 8:31 am

zyph wrote:

Must have been Sheridan's fault.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Spear (remember him?)   Aaron Spear (remember him?) EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 8:49 am

zyph wrote:

Apparently he did not get on well at all with the Newcastle youth team manager, never progressed to the reserve team as was promised him, and developed a pretty bad attitude thereafter.

His contract was paid up in 2011 early as Newcastle didn't see much point in keeping him around.

One of the Newcastle coaches described him as being like Andrei Arshavin - is that a compliment (Euro 2008 Arshavin) or an insult (Arsenal horrorshows)? Maybe it just sums up his unpredictability.

I have never seen the lad play, but it certainly is a strange one. From being the next big thing with a background similar to Raheem Sterling, he's playing in front of 200 a week while Sterling is now negotiating for £200 grand a week.

Last edited by ejh on Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Spear (remember him?)   Aaron Spear (remember him?) EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 8:54 am

ejh wrote:
Dubbed 'the next Wayne Rooney', we sold him aged 15 to Newcastle (who fought it out with Arsenal) for £250,000 in 2008. Dennis Wise, the then DOF made it his personal mission to sign him.

He's now 22 and plays in Sweden for Gallivare-Malmbergets after playing at about 4 different Icelandic clubs.

Gallivare-Malmbergets play in Swedish Division 2, have a stadium capacity of 1,000, and in 2010 had an average attendance of 215. They have lost 4 of their last 5 games and currently sit 10th in a division of 14.

Didn't similar happen to Cherbo Samba who turned up here for a bit and scored on his debut?

Also Tonton Zola Moukoko of Championship Manager 2001-02 fame lol!
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Spear (remember him?)   Aaron Spear (remember him?) EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 9:09 am

I think the comparison with Arshavin was mostly looks than anything....spent years buried in Icelandic football.....wow.....one report I've looked at suggested he was without a club at present....I don't know how true that is ?.....also says he has turned out for his old club Elburton Villa when around Plymouth.

Icelandic football would be a short summer season I would think......so what did he do during the "normal" european season ?
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Spear (remember him?)   Aaron Spear (remember him?) EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 9:32 am

On leaving Newcastle Spear said "I've been feckin' shafted, what's the point?"
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Spear (remember him?)   Aaron Spear (remember him?) EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 9:41 am

AstiSpumante wrote:

Did anyone come looking for him then ?.......or was it an attitude problem.....is that why he went abroad ?
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Spear (remember him?)   Aaron Spear (remember him?) EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 10:22 am

zyph wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:

Did anyone come looking for him then ?.......or was it an attitude problem.....is that why he went abroad ?

I'll take a stab at that option, a promising career thrown away ?
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Spear (remember him?)   Aaron Spear (remember him?) EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 11:24 am

Football is ruthless, especially for kids like Aaron Spear. They would have spent their entire childhood being the best footballer in their school, at their age group, at their club, or whatever, and then they hit 19 and realise that nobody wants to give them a full-time pro contract. What's the stats for 16-year-old kids? I'm sure it's something like only one in ten are professional footballers at age 21.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Spear (remember him?)   Aaron Spear (remember him?) EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 5:55 pm

zyph wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:

or he wasnt as good as some made him out to be and didnt have the ability or potential to play pro football in this country.

or its sheridans fault
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Spear (remember him?)   Aaron Spear (remember him?) EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 6:47 pm

Newcastle gave him a free transfer in 2011....long before Sheridan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Spear (remember him?)   Aaron Spear (remember him?) EmptyTue Jun 23, 2015 7:21 pm

zyph wrote:
Newcastle gave him a free transfer in 2011....long before Sheridan.

deadhorse deadhorse
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Aaron Spear (remember him?)   Aaron Spear (remember him?) Empty

Back to top Go down

Aaron Spear (remember him?)
Page 1 of 1