Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Rugby World Cup 2015

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Rugby World Cup 2015 Empty
PostSubject: Rugby World Cup 2015   Rugby World Cup 2015 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 8:33 am

I saw Sam Burgess play for Bath on Friday at blindside against London Irish. If he continues to play like that he will get a full England cap in the WC warm up games and may well make WC squad. He was superb and Bath are finally playing him in the right position.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rugby World Cup 2015   Rugby World Cup 2015 EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 9:41 am

Frank Bullitt wrote:
I saw Sam Burgess play for Bath on Friday at blindside against London Irish. If he continues to play like that he will get a full England cap in the WC warm up games and may well make WC squad. He was superb and Bath are finally playing him in the right position.

He has adapted quicker than a few others who changed codes in their career. Definitely deserves a call up soon.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Rugby World Cup 2015   Rugby World Cup 2015 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 4:19 pm

Frank Bullitt wrote:

I did try to make the case on a few forums when he first came onto the real rugby scene, it always stuns me how little so many people who comment on sport actually understand about it.

Basically Slammin Sam is Robshaw or Wood but with ability and pace to add to a crazy tackle count. Burgess is a freak of nature, he feels no pain, he is stronger, fitter and faster than any other player England might have available come September.

He should have gone in to the Bath side as a 6, there is no question of that, Mike Ford knew it but had been directed from on high to create England's dream 12, it was never going to happen. The problem now is that Lancaster is never going to pick him over Wood or Robshaw, not even if he takes the Championship final by storm scoring six tries and making 150 tackles only to suffer the disappointment of missing out by a point to the Mighty Chiefs, yeah I know, blew it yesterday, or rather got mugged by yet another inept referee.

I find it disconcerting that the RFU family went for the Sam in the centre plot, we have got rack upon rack of better then decent centres:- Manu, Joseph, Barritt, yeah I know but he is a brilliant defender when fit, Burrell, yeakh i know but he was brill two years ago and looked better again Saturday, Eastmond, Devoto, Slade, Hill, Daley and a load more just off the necessary pace, plus Devoto and Slade of them could step in a 10, that's without considering where to play Farrell if Ford and Cpriani are the best two options there.

Flankers with pace are about as common as rocking horse shiite, we've got plenty of donkeys, Robshaw, Wood and Haskell probably being the best of the bunch, but as long as the French exiles are excluded we have no stand out 7, if Sam puts in the break down and line out work in the next five months he has to be considered, they wasted six months trying make a centre out of him, that was criminal.

ps. What the fook does Banahan have to do to get a look in?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rugby World Cup 2015   Rugby World Cup 2015 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 4:39 pm

What was obvious on Friday was that his skill set was so much higher then that of those around him. His handling and speed of thought were exceptional. Irish were shitting themselves every time he was positioned to receive the ball and this gave George Ford a lot more space.

At blindside I would say that Tom Croft, Wood and Haskell are his main competitors for the shirt, and although none of them are mugs I would say that Burgess has the x factor to nudge one of them out of the squad.

I have seen him a few times at centre and I was beginning to wonder what the fuss was about. I think sometimes we get a bit too excited about a rugby league convert, but this is no ordinary league player. I am looking forward to seeing him play alongside Manu and Billy Vunipola as the 3 of them together would cause chaos.

I don't think Banahan will get a call up but he was very good on Friday as well.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Rugby World Cup 2015   Rugby World Cup 2015 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2015 11:14 pm

Frank Bullitt wrote:
What was obvious on Friday was that his skill set was so much higher then that of those around him. His handling and speed of thought were exceptional. Irish were shitting themselves every time he was positioned to receive the ball and this gave George Ford a lot more space.

At blindside I would say that Tom Croft, Wood and Haskell are his main competitors for the shirt, and although none of them are mugs I would say that Burgess has the x factor to nudge one of them out of the squad.

I have seen him a few times at centre and I was beginning to wonder what the fuss was about. I think sometimes we get a bit too excited about a rugby league convert, but this is no ordinary league player. I am looking forward to seeing him play alongside Manu and Billy Vunipola as the 3 of them together would cause chaos.

I don't think Banahan will get a call up but he was very good on Friday as well.

Croft and Wood are both excellent in the line out, Burgess is not a go to shout there for Bath, hardly surprising as it is not part of the League game and has become over technical with the legitimising of lifting.

Please don't exclude Dave Ewers from the 6 equation, he is an absolute monster and doesn't have Haskell's stupid streak.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rugby World Cup 2015   Rugby World Cup 2015 EmptyTue May 19, 2015 8:26 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It looks like Burgess will get selected for the training camps tomorrow, but Lancaster may still play him at centre. I suppose with Tuilagi out there is a spot available.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Rugby World Cup 2015   Rugby World Cup 2015 EmptyWed May 20, 2015 4:26 pm

Frank Bullitt wrote:

It looks like Burgess will get selected for the training camps tomorrow, but Lancaster may still play him at centre. I suppose with Tuilagi out there is a spot available.

No Dave Ewers and Slammin Sam in the centres, I think I may try and find a Welsh ancestor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rugby World Cup 2015   Rugby World Cup 2015 EmptyWed May 20, 2015 6:21 pm

Lord Tisdale wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

No Dave Ewers and Slammin Sam in the centres, I think I may try and find a Welsh ancestor.

I can't see Burgess forcing his way into the WC squad in the centres. Hopefully Lancaster will see sense and take him as a 6 - his versatility might help him make the bench as cover for both positions.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Rugby World Cup 2015   Rugby World Cup 2015 EmptyWed May 20, 2015 9:52 pm

Croft is too much of a wimp to go, surely? stick him on the wing, maybe...
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Rugby World Cup 2015   Rugby World Cup 2015 EmptyWed May 20, 2015 10:07 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Croft is too much of a wimp to go, surely? stick him on the wing, maybe...

Injury prone but very good in the line out. Unlike Billy V, Haskell and Burgess
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Rugby World Cup 2015   Rugby World Cup 2015 EmptyFri May 29, 2015 1:18 pm

Hartley Pig out and Jamie George in, all good in my book.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rugby World Cup 2015   Rugby World Cup 2015 Empty

Back to top Go down

Rugby World Cup 2015
Page 1 of 1