Cornish Chris
Tgwu
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

where to move Empty
PostSubject: where to move   where to move EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 10:15 pm

I was talking over should we desire to move aboard, what Country to go to. Cyprus was one (winter fuel allowance being stopped) Poland my boy said no one lives there. I heading more to Fuengirola area of Spain. Easy to for family to commute too by plane and the ferry by car.
Back to top Go down

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 10:33 pm

I'd love to move abroad................... I feel that age is against me now to make another successful career, I digress.

I quite fancy some of these ares to spend my final years.

Juneau, Alaska.

Mayyafushi, Maldives.

Brookings, Oregon

Zurich, Switzerland.

There's about 20 other places I'd like to live out my final years bit I can't be arsed. I get more depressed the more I type Perhaps when I win this W/E's lotto jackpot, I'll feckoff to Alaska or similar.
Back to top Go down

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 11:02 pm

isles of swilly? that counts as abroad
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:36 am

Have you considered Germany? I lived near Berlin for a while and loved every minute of it.
Back to top Go down

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:39 am

Cornish Chris wrote:
Have you considered Germany? I lived near Berlin for a while and loved every minute of it.

I like Germany. I lived in Bad Lippspringe, near Padderborn for a little while.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:50 am

Person Of Interest wrote:
Cornish Chris wrote:

forces?
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:01 am

Cyprus is 50degrees in summer, southern Spain is 40 odd, nice winter means nuclear in the summer ( and spain isnt all that in the winter, States is great for weather, well Cali is anyway but it's no fun being poor over there. I'd probably settle for Aisa somewhere, cheap as fook, decent weather, pretty ladies.
Back to top Go down

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:04 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Cornish Chris wrote:

forces?

Ex Brother-In-Law was in the 3rd RTR. I was in between jobs. He offered to put me and the ex up for as long as we like, so we stayed there in Deutschland for a while. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Fooking beer everywhere!!
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:27 am

Person Of Interest. Mock Cuncher wrote:
Quote :
Cornish Chris wrote:

forces?

Ex Brother-In-Law was in the 3rd RTR. I was in between jobs. He offered to put me and the ex up for as long as we like, so we stayed there in Deutschland for a while. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Fooking beer everywhere
My brother and I were both in the3rd RTR, before  I went to the AAC
(Fallingbostel and  Wolfenbüttel ) my brother lived in Celle with his wife. I was also station in Plymouth.

Last edited by Tgwu on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:39 am

Small world, tgwu, small world.

Danke shoen. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:52 am

Scandinavia is stunning if you can stand the weather in Winter. My brother lives in Norway and it's genuinely one of the most amazing places I've been to.

Other than that.. Benidorm?
Back to top Go down

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 12:02 pm

Josh Pope wrote:
Scandinavia is stunning if you can stand the weather in Winter. My brother lives in Norway and it's genuinely one of the most amazing places I've been to.

Other than that.. Benidorm?

I must agree about Norway. Although only there for a day ( Bergen), the scenery we flew over was just stunning. I like Sweden also. I was sent on a training course (when I worked for my previous employer) to one of our sister facilities in Jarfalla, near Stockholm. A few minutes out of Stockholm was just beautiful. A bit friggin cold mind you, and criminally expensive. £748,364.249.5 KR for a small beer. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 12:20 pm

Now in our 7th year renting, in the land of arabs with socks. Just about had enough and as we don't 'sort of' own a place [much corruption], it's easier to leave. As has been mentioned, summers are too hot and the 2 to 3 month winter can be chilly particularly at night in the concrete boxes. The spring and particularly the autumn are lovely and with the abundance of available, cheap rentals, we plan to return most years from the end of the cricket season til just before Xmas.
Jan/Feb/March somewhere warm and different like Thailand, Goa, Australasia, South America, South Africa etc Summers in the UK are fine in my book, especially when the autumns in Cyprus go on and on with temps starting at 30 deg and gradually falling to 20 in December.

If you own your own house in the UK, I recommend you keep it if you can. A bolt hole for yourself/family and as you get older, medical care/insurance is unreliable/difficult, even in some EU countries.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 12:39 pm

Hopefully going to live in France eventually. Probably central southern France.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 4:19 pm

We've got family in the States (Arizona) and down on the Costa del Sol (Nerja). Both are gorgeous in terms of quality of life, although the desert gets to 50deg+ in summer which is pretty oppressive. Both are options for us in a few years when the kids have flown the nest.

In terms of climate, for me you cannot beat the Canary Islands. Only 4 hours away, It rarely gets rediculously hot in summer, yet winters are still lovely and warm. No probs with draining humidity either that can be horrendous in the Eastern Med in summer. A proper year round warm weather option. Had Xmas Day bbq's on the beach etc.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 2:42 pm

Crete is nice. However ''Heaven on Earth'' has got to be Little Cayman - sandy clean beaches, not that touristy, quiet, Rum bars on the beach ..... almost awol territory.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 3:07 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
We've got family in the States (Arizona) and down on the Costa del Sol (Nerja). Both are gorgeous in terms of quality of life, although the desert gets to 50deg+ in summer which is pretty oppressive. Both are options for us in a few years when the kids have flown the nest.

In terms of climate, for me you cannot beat the Canary Islands. Only 4 hours away,  It rarely gets rediculously hot in summer, yet winters are still lovely and warm. No probs with draining humidity either that can be horrendous in the Eastern Med in summer. A proper year round warm weather option. Had Xmas Day bbq's on the beach etc.

We might settle on the Canaries for extended winter breaks, if we can't be arsed with long haul. Has anyone been to Cape Verde , further down the Atlantic and warmer than Canaries in winter ?
Back to top Go down

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 3:20 pm

A mate of mine has an apartment on Cape Verde, he loves to surf and the fishing is excellent. Other than that not much there, my mate bought his apartment as in investment but the Spanish funded resort hasn't been built yet, nor will be for a long while (Brentio?) Said mate reckons it will take off in time.
Another friend of mine has visited and when I told her that my other mate had bought a place there she asked why? Make of that what you will, several of the islands are flat salt pans. We were going to fly there last year with tickets around £400 return which incidentally is the same as Sri Lanka where I may go for my next trip, I have a mate who lives there and loves it. He funds it by renting his house out in Woolwell, cheap as fook.
My next big trip will be the gringo trail in South America, I have friends who have lived in Panama and Costa Rica and both are meant to be cheap and beautiful.
Don't think I'd ever buy abroad, renting is cheap and if you stay in one place too long you can get involved in local politics, travel light.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 3:26 pm

Yes, about 12 years ago. Not a tourist destination, at least it wasn't back then and I'd be surprised if it's changed much since. Arid and basic at best and almost totally populated by Africans or their decendents. Depends what you're looking for I suppose, finding a bar that shows live EPL would be a challenge!
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 5:48 pm

Cape Verde hasn't really moved on much due in part to the global financial meltdown in recent years. No real infrastructure there, and not somewhere I'd be making a beeline for any time soon. My cousin got his fingers burnt to the tune of around 12 Grand when buying a place off-plan there - the developer doing a runner/going bust owing dozens of people tens of thousands of £££'s.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 6:05 pm

Iggy wrote:
A mate of mine has an apartment on Cape Verde, he loves to surf and the fishing is excellent. Other than that not much there, my mate bought his apartment as in investment but the Spanish funded resort hasn't been built yet, nor will be for a long while (Brentio?) Said mate reckons it will take off in time.
Another friend of mine has visited and when I told her that my other mate had bought a place there she asked why? Make of that what you will, several of the islands are flat salt pans. We were going to fly there last year with tickets around £400 return which incidentally is the same as Sri Lanka where I may go for my next trip, I have a mate who lives there and loves it. He funds it by renting his house out in Woolwell, cheap as fook.
My next big trip will be the gringo trail in South America, I have friends who have lived in Panama and Costa Rica and both are meant to be cheap and beautiful.
Don't think I'd ever buy abroad, renting is cheap and if you stay in one place too long you can get involved in local politics, travel light.

Errrm, you seem to have a lot of mates moving away from you. Is there something we need to know? Suspect Very Happy

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  affraid

Now an officially semi retired old fart! bounce
Back to top Go down
Greenrod

Greenrod

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 8:29 pm

According to yesterday's Metro newspaper, Ecuador is the best place to retire due to its lush climate and affordable healthcare. Panama comes second.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 6:31 am

I'm biased Very Happy but I've never been happier than I am in South Africa, I bought our place 8 years ago in anticipation of my retirement in 2013. At the time we intended staying 6 months in each country from then on but now I have no desire to come home and so will only be back in the UK for a month in March/April and another in August/Sept to do the familial duties, and check the post!

There is so much that is familiar in the old colonial outposts but also much of the exotic and the weather makes everybody smile...and it's cheap, petrol drops to 61p/litre on Wednesday and beer less than £1/pint in lots of places.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 10:20 am

Iggy wrote:

Yes indeed Iggy. A lot of Brits sold everything for their place in the sun and have either been cheated or can't sell their crumbling concrete boxes, even for a large loss. There is so much cheap rental property that you can get your 3 months in the autumn sun for peanuts and no hassles.

ps thanks for the advice on CV guys................
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move EmptyTue Jan 06, 2015 3:22 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
In terms of climate, for me you cannot beat the Canary Islands. Only 4 hours away,  It rarely gets rediculously hot in summer,.

42 fooking degrees it was the last time I got off a plane there, had me one year old grand daughter in tow as well, strangely she seemed to cope with it better than me, the whole regime of pool to AC Bar seemed to sit pretty well with her.

Tenerife is me least favourite Canary, but it would do today.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

where to move Empty
PostSubject: Re: where to move   where to move Empty

Back to top Go down

where to move
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next