Earwegoagain
Angry
Grovehill
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Grovehill

Still too far to move? Empty
PostSubject: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptySun Jul 17, 2022 2:47 pm

Just wondering if anyone else thinks Plymouth's "remoteness" is still a valid excuse for alleged difficulties in signing players?

I think it was a valid reason 20 or thirty years ago but with Motorway links and an Airport just up the road, surely it's no longer such a big drawback?
Zoom if you want to speak to parents, pals etc.

Players with children already settled at school might be reluctant to uproot the family, but how many players have children of school age anyway? Loan players tend to be younger and unattached as well.

The Westcountry also has attractions (esp for a family) that counteract distance-quality of life, scenery etc.

Thoughts anyone?

Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptySun Jul 17, 2022 3:41 pm

Plymouth isn't on the moon and players will play where they can get the best deal for them and their families and whats right for their careers. Its down to the clubs to sell themselves to that player and win them over to the idea that moving here (which im not bothered with aslong as they are at training and matches) is going to meet what they are looking for in their careers and they wouldn't get elsewhere.

Last edited by Angry on Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptySun Jul 17, 2022 5:21 pm

BWP, Halmosi, Akos, Barry Hayles, Scott Sinclair, Ebanks Blake, Reuben Reid......the old excuses like these are wheeled out by the beards at every opportunity to deflect criticism from the chairmen that these types tend to support more than the actual team or club. Pay them and they will come and more importantly if you get that buzz like Ollie did and it looks like we are going places they will come as well. Ebanks Blake was being courted by many clubs but once Ollie got him down here he said he was immediately sold.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptySun Jul 17, 2022 7:12 pm

Not paying the going rate is the reason we still can't sign decent players. Nothing to do with location. Until we get proper investment in the playing side L1 is the pinnacle.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptySun Jul 17, 2022 9:51 pm

Location isn’t a problem and I believe we do offer competitive deals to players and have done for many years
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2022 5:50 am

Graiser wrote:
Location isn’t a problem and I believe we do offer competitive deals to players and have done for many years

As you always say when anyone questions whether the club has a competitive budget "how can you possibly know and what proof do you have?"
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2022 9:40 am

Les Miserable wrote:
Graiser wrote:

As you always say when anyone questions whether the club has a competitive budget "how can you possibly know and what proof do you have?"

cheers
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptyMon Jul 18, 2022 9:50 am

A reasonable pointer to gauge a players reasoning when signing for us, is to look at the clubs that were also keen and vying for his signature. This relies largely on media reports, but there are also snippets that become available if you know people working at the club.

Tbf from what I’ve heard, the players we’ve brought in so far have had other more ‘geographically friendly’ options, so it bodes pretty well.
Back to top Go down
Savageandstrand

Savageandstrand

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 12:32 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
BWP, Halmosi, Akos, Barry Hayles, Scott Sinclair, Ebanks Blake, Reuben Reid......the old excuses like these are wheeled out by the beards at every opportunity to deflect criticism from the chairmen that these types tend to support more than the actual team or club. Pay them and they will come and more importantly if you get that buzz like Ollie did and it looks like we are going places they will come as well. Ebanks Blake was being courted by many clubs but once Ollie got him down here he said he was immediately sold.

Again I'm bemused. What the hell are beards lol ??
Back to top Go down
Clodagh Rubbish

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 1:49 pm

Savageandstrand wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

It was the term used on the old Rub of The Greens forum for PASOTI users.

To the original point, I think location will always be an issue as we're just so far away from anything else. The airport is a good hour away and only offers infrequent services to Manchester, Paris and Amsterdam and the so called Motorway is 40 odd miles of bendy and hilly expressway which has to be shred with tractors and learner drivers.

A player basing themselves in Manchester, Sheffield, Leeds or London has a choice of 40 or 50 commutable clubs without having to move house.

That said, it does force players down here to live in each others pockets more rather than after training buggering off to whichever large city you call home
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 3:52 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
Graiser wrote:

I’ve no proof, however if you research the players we have attracted over the years from the North and Scotland what would you think has attracted them ? Nights out on the Barbican, walk across the Hoe.
For instance Mayor’s salary 20/21 season was 6.2k per week, evidence of that is on the internet, is that crap wages ?
Back to top Go down
Clodagh Rubbish

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 4:02 pm

Graiser wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Graiser wrote:

I’ve no proof, however if you research the players we have attracted over the years from the North and Scotland what would you think has attracted them ? Nights out on the Barbican, walk across the Hoe.
For instance Mayor’s salary 20/21 season was 6.2k per week, evidence of that is on the internet, is that crap wages ?

lol!

Mayor probably earns half of that
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 4:09 pm

Im not buying that ! In general footballers are greedy bastards pay em enough or what there worth and they play the arse end of the world the trouble is we don’t pay players enough or what there worth that’s why most go else where ..the club & certain fans have been using that excuse for years ..pay em what there worth there soon come
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 5:05 pm

Graiser wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Graiser wrote:

Where is this "evidence"? It does amuse me that you rubbish what I say when I quote Lowie or Schuey regarding what they say on budgets yet you drop spurious figures like those to back up your arguments. What I would say is that if Argyle do have the budgets that you believe them to have then we should probably sack most of the staff as we are underperforming against loads of clubs that you assure us operate on similar budgets.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 5:47 pm

Savageandstrand wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

lol  we really do need a slang dictionary corner on here to describe these terms to new members lol...

A beard is usually a middle/old age fan on pasoti who wont hear a bad word said about the club and are quick to believe excuses used by the club and harking back to the past to back up their argument despite how futile it is.

Aviva is a different type thought
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 6:07 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Graiser wrote:

Where is this "evidence"? It does amuse me that you rubbish what I say when I quote Lowie or Schuey regarding what they say on budgets yet you drop spurious figures like those to back up your arguments. What I would say is that if Argyle do have the budgets that you believe them to have then we should probably sack most of the staff as we are underperforming against loads of clubs that you assure us operate on similar budgets.

Ears you do have a problem with interpretation, I don’t have a clue what Argyle’s playing budget is other than it’s supposed to be about midtable and increased from last season, I’ve never said we operate on similar budgets to the rest of L1, that’s you putting a bit of gloss on it to suit your beliefs, something you tend to do quite often.
What I said is over past seasons we have offered competitive salaries.
Also I did not post spurious figures, I posted a figure which I found quite easy on the internet which I’m sure with your esteemed knowledge of all things you could do the same-if you really wanted to.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 7:04 pm

I found it on the internet cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 8:14 pm

But the beard isn't saying where. cheers
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 9:39 pm

Beards, Greentints, Avivas, Darksiders, Happy clappers, praaaper fans

No doubt location has been a factor in some players not coming to Argyle but certain managers [Smithy,Holloway] have been able to sell snow to the eskimos to a certain extent during spells in the second tier. Seems to have been a lesser problem in the lower divisions bearing in mind Argyle's reasonable track record in league 1 and 2-underachievement at the higher level therefore has to be a question more of finance than location.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 10:58 pm

Greenskin wrote:

No doubt location has been a factor in some players not coming to Argyle but certain managers [Smithy,Holloway] have been able to sell snow to the eskimos to a certain extent during spells in the second tier. Seems to have been a lesser problem in the lower divisions bearing in mind Argyle's reasonable track record in league 1 and 2-underachievement at the higher level therefore has to be a question more of finance than location.
you forgot jizzers
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 11:08 pm

RegGreen wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

you forgot jizzers

Not to mention freaks and jamboys
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptyFri Jul 22, 2022 11:19 pm

Greenskin wrote:
RegGreen wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

you forgot jizzers

Tin foil hat wearers and mouth breathers.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptySat Jul 23, 2022 8:07 am

Earwegoagain wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
RegGreen wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

you forgot jizzers

Wor Heroes?
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptySat Jul 23, 2022 2:24 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
RegGreen wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

you forgot jizzers

Wor Heroes?
lol! forgot that one..oh nipples & plebby
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? EmptySat Jul 23, 2022 3:26 pm

Nikkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Still too far to move?   Still too far to move? Empty

Back to top Go down

Still too far to move?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next