Rickler
Tgwu
Sir Francis Drake
seadog
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 4:30 pm

Punchdrunk wrote:
Why is Banton anywhere near a starting 11?
Complete non entity of a player.

John Sheridan clearly been reading ATD then - both players subbed off on 70 minutes. popcorn
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 4:43 pm

bloody useless
Back to top Go down
`rgill

PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Nothing but mediocrity and failure for well over a century,and it is not going to change anytime quick.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 5:13 pm

Looking at the stats we was battered like a cheap sausage dain Francines.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 5:19 pm

Shit draw and shit result in what has become a shit competition-7000 odd for an FA cup match would have unthinkable a few years ago. Meaningless in terms of future league results but 0-2 v Coventry and 0-3 today would indicate that Argyle have a long way to go before having anything like a competent team for the next division up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 5:25 pm

Watched the first half on that juddering wiziwig feed - carp!! Went for shower HT switched on to hear we missed a friggin pen!! Sounds like didn't matter much as was mullered anyhow - league or bust now !!
Off to station for train to Weymouth to drown ones sorrows!!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 EmptySat Dec 06, 2014 6:10 pm

I do try to keep saying............... what can anyone expect from a club, run like the village show, with a complete shyster as owner, 'yes men' board members, wanna be someone thick janners as chief bucket rattlers in tents [geddon],a travelling geeks n grandads arrrrrmy who just love a photoshoot and a manager, so limited in inspirational qualities that it's painful to listen to him ?

Last edited by Tringreen on Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 1:36 am

Harsh on village shows, Tring...
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 1:58 am

It's the same most weeks............dontchafink ?  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If they're so crap at keeping the ball, is he on the training ground hour after hour barking at them to keep the ball, showing them the angles and how to do it until they comply, to get him off their backs ?
It looks like he gives Wotton the job.

Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 8:28 am

Tringreen wrote:
I do try to keep saying............... what can anyone expect from a club, run like the village show, with a complete shyster as owner, 'yes men' board members, wanna be someone thick janners as chief bucket rattlers in tents [geddon],a travelling geeks n grandads arrrrrmy who just love a photoshoot and a manager, so limited in inspirational qualities that it's painful to listen to him ?

study apart from the last part i have to say youre right
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 9:32 am

Tringreen wrote:

If they're so crap at keeping the ball, is he on the training ground hour after hour barking at them to keep the ball, showing them the angles and how to do it until they comply, to get him off their backs ?

Nah course not, he's showing them how to lose possession and give the ball away cheaply, maybe you could try writing to him?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 9:43 am

Iggy wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

Nah course not, he's showing them how to lose possession and give the ball away cheaply, maybe you could try writing to him?

Well he's obviously shit at it because he makes the same comments everytime we lose. Getting the best out of people and helping them perform the way you want, is a combination of the stick and the velvet glove. Sounds to me like he's lacking in spark and appeal. Same old monotonous, scrambled excuses.
He seems to me like the poor man's Stuart Pearce. Knows the game and could play but is sadly lacking in flair, appeal and inspirational qualities.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 10:08 am

Yesterday's performance was very disappointing and our ball retention was at the heart of that disappointment. Quite simply we seemed to be reluctant to string more than 2 or 3 passes together before knocking it long towards Reid or Banton. As a result neither Reid nor Banton received a pass worthy of the name and usually lost possession almost immediately. That in turn resulted in them coming straight back at us time after time and in the end that pressure was telling.

I think the change in formation back to 4-4-2 (which might actually have been more like 4-3-3) was a mistake if made by choice or very unfortunate if forced upon us by injury to McHugh. I suppose it allowed us to play 3 offensively minded players in Reid Banton and Alessandra but it more or less surrendered midfield to them and allowed them to press us high up the pitch. Ball retention became difficult, the ball was passed around, when it was passed at all, like a hot potato with each pass digging the recipient into a sightly deeper hole until the only option was to knock it long upfield. Our formation just didn't work for us and you could feel the hope drain from the team as the game went along.

Another change that did not work for us was the replacement of Kellet by Purrington and Kellet's move forward. I felt for Purrington yesterday. Delighted though he must have been to be back he returned in a high profile semi-televised game against a team from a higher division and having to mark a wily and awkward player in the form of the experienced Jamal Campbell-Rice - and all with an over-run midfield scrambling around desperately in front of him.

And then there was the way the game panned out itself. Our penalty came at a great time for us and had it gone in we would have had a real fillip and been given something to try to hang on to. But it didn't and where our confidence would have been boosted and theirs damaged the exact reverse happened. Their first penalty was extremely dubious and must have just about destroyed the last of Purrington's confidence but what should have been 0-1 very quickly became 1-0 instead and from there on it was all but Game Over and the second penalty was no doubt whatsover and then they managed a late 3rd.

I think the game was lost, or at least the task of winning it made very difficult, before it even started with the formation and personnel changes but having said that our ball retention has been a weakness for a while now; we have decent enough players now and they are surely capable of doing far better.

Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 11:10 am

Tringreen wrote:
Iggy wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

Well he's obviously shit at it because he makes the same comments everytime we lose. Getting the best out of people and helping them perform the way you want, is a combination of the stick and the velvet glove. Sounds to me like he's lacking in spark and appeal. Same old monotonous, scrambled excuses.
He seems to me like the poor man's Stuart Pearce. Knows the game and could play but is sadly lacking in flair, appeal and inspirational qualities.

Agree with you on 90 odd% of all things Argyle Tring, but I would say that on this one you've got it wrong. Sheridan didn't need "monotonous, scrambled excuses" when Argyle were on that fairly recent 10 match unbeaten run or when winning this league and the JTP with Chesterfield or taking Oldham to consistently decent finishes in the division above. Indeed, if in January 2013 when the bombsite created by Fletcher and the previous disaster areas running the club was at it's nadir, someone said to you that a manager would come in, avoid relegation, finish 10th the season after, then be in a challenging 6th position by the following christmas, in all honesty would you not have bitten their hand off? Having endured 5 years of utter shit as a season ticket holder, then i'm damned sure I would have. Sheridan is operating on a budget which according to James Brent at a fans meeting at Bodmin a couple of months ago is between the 7th-9th biggest in the division. You can argue the toss all day about why a club like Argyle should be on that sort of budget in comparison to other superficially smaller clubs but it sure ain't Sheridan's fault and neither was it his fault when Hourihane, a player who could have made a world of difference to Argyle's fortunes this season, was flogged off at a price which according to the professional opinion of the manager was about £200k less than the club should have got. Truth is that Sheridan is a reasonably successful lower division manager and you don't have to be especially articulate to achieve that status. People like Guy Branston and Reuben Reid speak highly of the bloke and his methods, so maybe the public persona is very different from the one seen by the players on a day to day basis, which is not a previously unknown phenomena. Argyle still have a chance of getting promotion this year and if it happens, then it will be an overachievement AFAIC under the circumstances, in spite of Sheridan's own rather bullish public pronouncements-good on him for having the bottle to take on that pressure. He isn't perfect by any means but he's certainly not been anything like a failure at Argyle, not in my book anyway, and if he was to be sacked then Argyle would do well to find anyone better as things stand.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 11:38 am

As ever, I accept your opinion dear boy as you are far closer to the action.  I just get gut feelings about people, like I did instantly about Fletcher. Can't see Sheridan altering his persona greatly away from the microphone and that is where I base my 'lack of inspirational qualities' comments.
As ever, time will tell.
One thing is for sure imo and that is that a truly capable coach/manager, wouldn't be constantly berating his players in public, when it is he who has the responsibilty for training them.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 1:05 pm

Bit of an over reaction from some it seems. Yes, it was a poor performance, in fact a poor game overall. Sheff Utd were poor in the first half, equally poor in the 2nd, 2 defensive mistakes resulted in 2 pens, game over.

That's 3 games now without a win, 2 in the league, both against teams we should have beaten. I didn't expect anything from yesterday, but will be expecting a reaction from the players against Northampton, another team we should beat, if we want to maintain a top 6 place.

Sheridan's never going to be a fans favourite, a la Holloway, but he hasn't done too badly so far this season.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 07, 2014 1:28 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Iggy wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

So do you, are you saying Sheridan is a one trick pony? fishing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow   Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Global reach of Argyle on the telly tomorrow
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2