Sir Francis Drake
Tgwu
Greenskin
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

Berry turns down new deal [apparently] Empty
PostSubject: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 2:42 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If so,then no great loss IMHO.In spite of the blurb,he certainly wasn't a "model of consistency" last season as he played in only 25 matches and was kept out of the team for the most part by the now released Blanchard.Did well in his second season at the club but i'm sure there are players around who can do a competent job in his position and probably offer much more going forward,he was no Gordon Nisbet or Gary Poole in the attacking third.Goodbye and good luck if true.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 2:53 pm

Tis true;

Guerrieri gone as well.No great loss,not my cup of tea as a player,very clever but not productive enough when all's said and done.Looks as if the team for the first game of the season will be very much of Sheridan's own creation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 3:32 pm

I had time for Berry, but never really saw any quality in Gurrieri.

Berry being out of form towards the end of last season didn't really give him much ammunition to bargain for better terms. He should have been grateful for an offer really, although that said, Argyle could have offered him £300 a week for all I know.

If Berry can strike a deal at Walsall good luck to him. Hemmings has made himself a future there, and Jamie Reckord went on to play for Swindon - just a few other players I wouldn't rush to have have back either.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Plymouth Argyle release Durrell Berry and Andres Gurrieri

DURRELL BERRY and Andres Gurrieri have both been released, Plymouth Argyle have announced.

The two, who have made 175 appearances for the Pilgrims between them, have rejected new terms offered by the club and are now free-agents.

Earlier on Tuesday, Sky Sports were running a story linking Berry with moves to any number of undisclosed League One and Two clubs.

Twenty-two year-old defender Berry was signed by then Argyle boss Peter Reid in the summer of 2011 after being released by Aston Villa.

He made 107 Dappearances in three seasons at Home Park, scoring one goal.

Midfielder Andres, 24, was initially on trial with the Pilgrims in the summer of 2011 before being eventually signed by then manager Carl Fletcher 12 months later following a season with Burton Albion.

Gurrieri played 68 times in two seasons at Home Park, scoring five goals.

Five other Pilgrims whose contracts expired this summer have agreed new one-year contracts: goalkeeper Luke McCormick, defender Curtis Nelson, veteran Paul Wotton and forwards Matt Lecointe and Nathan Thomas.

Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 6:13 pm

I've always been very reluctant to slag off our players but Berry has been doing my head right in for 2 years. He's awful. I think he's a far worse FB than Fat Robbie Williams was. Just shocking. Nearly always out of position and either never close enough to his man or too bloody close and turned easily as a result. Check out how often he got booked - and nearly always because he was caught out. Rubbish. Just rubbish. His only potential role was as a cheap back-up for a proper RB. No positional sense, couldn't tackle, couldn't head the ball, couldn't pass, couldn't cross the ball and never looked like scoring. I'm bloody glad he's gone. In fact I'm more pleased by this than by Reuben renewing his contract!

I'm surprised at Guerrieri leaving though. We have a mutual acquaintance and he was very happy in Plymouth, loved Argyle and was very settled within a church that he worshipped at and so on. It was all good. He got married last year though so maybe Mrs G wants to be in Argentina? As a player he was slowish, one-footed and not exactly one to set the pulse racing but I quite liked him: he worked hard, won a surprising amount of ball in midfield and passed reasonably well. "Did a job" as they say. In fact he did much the same job that Luke Young did - letting him go looks like a slightly worse decision now than it did before.

Still thanks and good luck to both of them. They both did their best - and they both signed for us when others wouldn't.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 6:44 pm

ejh wrote:
I had time for Berry, but never really saw any quality in Gurrieri.

Berry being out of form towards the end of last season didn't really give him much ammunition to bargain for better terms. He should have been grateful for an offer really, although that said, Argyle could have offered him £300 a week for all I know.

If Berry can strike a deal at Walsall good luck to him. Hemmings has made himself a future there, and Jamie Reckord went on to play for Swindon - just a few other players I wouldn't rush to have have back either.

Hemmings has left Walsall- not sure whether he was released or it was his own decision. I agree though I thought Hemmings was overrated and did very little for the team in terms of passing, crossing and scoring.

Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 7:09 pm

Was surprised Gurrieri was even offered a deal. Very mediocre player from what I saw, so not fussed about him leaving.
Berry always seemed hit and miss, but did have some good games (Bradford away a few years ago springs to mind). Can't imagine there will be clubs cuing up to sign those two, so it's interesting that they've turned down our offer. Maybe we were offering wage freezes/decreases to them.

At least Reid has signed, up to Sherryfan now to sign some decent replacements for these two. We are very short at the back at the moment. Wonder if he is regretting offloading Blanchard now!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptyTue Jun 10, 2014 7:10 pm

Meh.

Thanks for your service 'n' all but they weren't all that. The quality of player we could expect to attract in the summer of 2011 (Andres 1st trial) was so low it's a minor miracle anything even average came from it.

The kind of player we should now attract as an improving outfit should be better. OK, we're not going to get Danni Alves and Lionel Messi to replace them but you get the gist. We can do better.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptySat Jun 14, 2014 8:53 pm

A little info I picked up today is Darcy Blake and another ex Argyle player are due in Plymouth next week. Darcy has turned down a contract from Newport that was offered.
Back to top Go down
hairy j

hairy j

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptySat Jun 14, 2014 9:20 pm

Gurrieri was phenomenal in a pre-season game as a trialist against QPR (who'd just been promoted to the Premier League) but we didn't manage to sign him. He then signed and just didn't offer anything of note; certainly not anything like the promise he'd shown in that friendly game. He lacked pace, was too small and took five or six attempts before a pass was on target. I didn't rate him at all.

Berry seems to have just got worse. He had his best games under Fletcher. He stopped going forward and often tired in games. A shame as he is still young. Some players peak in the early twenties and never improve.

Blake might fall into that category of peaking as a young player. At Cardiff he was good and, on loan with us, he did very well. We need defenders though - worth a one year deal. At a club with an actual football pitch, he might shine.

I think we need an experienced centre half - a beast. We lack a real captain on the pitch. I don't see Wotton playing many games next season and Hourihane was probably given the captaincy to stop him getting into silly booking situations. We need an experience captain on the pitch.

I'm fairly optimistic so far though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 5:54 pm

hairy j wrote:
Gurrieri was phenomenal in a pre-season game as a trialist against QPR (who'd just been promoted to the Premier League) but we didn't manage to sign him. He then signed and just didn't offer anything of note; certainly not anything like the promise he'd shown in that friendly game. He lacked pace, was too small and took five or six attempts before a pass was on target. I didn't rate him at all.

Berry seems to have just got worse. He had his best games under Fletcher. He stopped going forward and often tired in games. A shame as he is still young. Some players peak in the early twenties and never improve.

Blake might fall into that category of peaking as a young player. At Cardiff he was good and, on loan with us, he did very well. We need defenders though - worth a one year deal. At a club with an actual football pitch, he might shine.

I think we need an experienced centre half - a beast. We lack a real captain on the pitch. I don't see Wotton playing many games next season and Hourihane was probably given the captaincy to stop him getting into silly booking situations. We need an experience captain on the pitch.

I'm fairly optimistic so far though.

Pretty much how I see it. Berry was dreadful then seemed to get better now dreadful again. Think it's an effort thing he's ok as long as they're putting in 100% but if it drops neither got the talent to fall back on.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptySun Jun 15, 2014 10:18 pm

Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
Was surprised Gurrieri was even offered a deal. Very mediocre player from what I saw, so not fussed about him leaving.
Berry always seemed hit and miss, but did have some good games (Bradford away a few years ago springs to mind). Can't imagine there will be clubs cuing up to sign those two, so it's interesting that they've turned down our offer. Maybe we were offering wage freezes/decreases to them.

At least Reid has signed, up to Sherryfan now to sign some decent replacements for these two. We are very short at the back at the moment. Wonder if he is regretting offloading Blanchard now!

when he signed in 2011 he surely would have been on 500 a week i dare bet we offered similar
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 7:04 pm

Tgwu wrote:
A little info I picked up today is Darcy Blake and another ex Argyle player are due in Plymouth next week.  Darcy has turned down a contract from Newport that was offered.

I see the farm is running with this story today, with pig and posty having a say.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 8:25 pm

Tgwu wrote:
Tgwu wrote:
A little info I picked up today is Darcy Blake and another ex Argyle player are due in Plymouth next week.  Darcy has turned down a contract from Newport that was offered.

I see the farm is running with this story today, with pig and posty having a say.

Im not surprised, they are both avid readers of the cesspit of bile, hi Ian, Hi Ian. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Darcy Blake would be a great signing.

I wonder who the other one is? Joe Bryan, hopefully!
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 9:28 pm

The other player is Walton.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 9:57 pm

You are joking aren't you? Id be amazed if that was true
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 9:59 pm

clown Very Happy 

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 10:09 pm

I would like to put Reda Johnson name in the mix but would he drop to league 2?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Berry turns down new deal [apparently]   Berry turns down new deal [apparently] Empty

Back to top Go down

Berry turns down new deal [apparently]
Page 1 of 1