Dougie
seadog
Dick Trickle
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dick Trickle

Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party Empty
PostSubject: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 7:31 pm

FFS how low have we sunk?

Aviva's

I'm going to Pompey to have a day away from the children, be on the pop from early doors and meet up with a couple of skates and hopefully Jock and Tivvy.

Will I be celebrating the 11th vs 12th dogshit division play off? No.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 8:01 pm

Didn't some idiot try and get US to sink the Pompey chimes when we played them one time?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 8:04 pm

3 guesses at the name of that wanker then!
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 8:44 pm

erm, erm erm.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 8:45 pm

Dick Trickle wrote:

Aviva's

I'm going to Pompey to have a day away from the children, be on the pop from early doors and meet up with a couple of skates and hopefully Jock and Tivvy.

Sort of with you there Trick - wear bunting in the pub i'm meeting my Pumpy mates in and I'll be fighting my way out on my arse!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 8:47 pm

Dick Trickle wrote:

Aviva's

stuff the party. we know we're shit, lets get drunk bounce drunk drunk 
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 8:51 pm

Yea Man wrote:
Didn't some idiot try and get US to sink the Pompey chimes when we played them one time?

Don't know who you mean

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 9:21 pm

Dougie wrote:
Don't know who you mean

On that same funny page
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 9:24 pm

Dougie wrote:
Yea Man wrote:

Don't know who you mean

laugh
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 9:29 pm

I saw the thread Dick. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Back to top Go down
hairy j

hairy j

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyThu Apr 24, 2014 9:54 pm

Everyone does that for the last game of the season - it's traditional. Hopefully, if the stadium is full of people in scooby doo onesies and bananaman outfits, there won't be any crowd trouble - how could you swing a punch at someone riding a Bernie Clifton style ostrich?
It's a laugh.
Obviously for some people, they attend in a Motson sheepskin armed with a notebook to jot down tactics.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 8:21 am

'Everyone' didn't / doesn't feel the need to wear fancy dress at the end of a season. Suppose if you've been taken for an idiot, you might as well look like one.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 9:02 am

Tringreen wrote:
'Everyone' didn't / doesn't feel the need to wear fancy dress at the end of a season. Suppose if you've been taken for an idiot, you might as well look like one.

Grump...Grump
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 10:15 am

I'm not often far off in my assessments of situations or people, even if I've never met them. The bigger picture is something that appears to elude most people, particularly where football and their club is concerned. Some actually can see it but for reasons of personal gain and ego, prefer to delude themselves.

From about 4 min 40secs in Holloway confirms what I was saying, time and time again on the farm. I was banned for it and Holloway left Argyle as predicted. It still annoys me......... grump grump.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 10:22 am

Tringreen wrote:
I'm not often far off in my assessments of situations or people, even if I've never met them. The bigger picture is something that appears to elude most people, particularly where football and their club is concerned. Some actually can see it but for reasons of personal gain and ego, prefer to delude themselves.

From about 4 min 40secs in Holloway confirms what I was saying, time and time again on the farm. I was banned for it and Holloway left Argyle as predicted. It still annoys me......... grump grump.

Holloway was the one manager in many a year who could have taken us all the way to the top flight.

As usual though the ambition wasn't there and the rest is history.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 10:38 am

I've endured this fatal addiction to Argyle for over 50 years but the last decade and the going nowhere Avivafest the club has now become, only interests me in a morbid way.
How anyone can actually enjoy the experience and retain any positivity for the future is quite beyond me. It takes all sorts I suppose and being physically far away, does help.
From the owner, through the board, the media people, the superfans, the manager and players, the bucket rattlers, to the janners in the tent, it's all so small and needy. In fact it's village.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 10:52 am

Villages are fine - there is a sense of community, trust, supportiveness, creativity, encouragement, welcome.... I'll stop there. Of course there are drawbacks but in my experience the positives far outweigh the negatives. In my experience when Brits live abroad they simply create their own ex-pat villages & recreate a UK home from home, rarely going outside their cosy ex-pat life to be challenged by local people.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 11:04 am

Drinking Guinness and watching the prem. down the local taverna, as English a fish and chips.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 11:12 am

Tringreen wrote:
I've endured this fatal addiction to Argyle for over 50 years but the last decade and the going nowhere Avivafest the club has now become, only interests me in a morbid way.
How anyone can actually enjoy the experience and retain any positivity for the future is quite beyond me. It takes all sorts I suppose and being physically far away, does help.
From the owner, through the board, the media people, the superfans, the manager and players, the bucket rattlers, to the janners in the tent, it's all so small and needy. In fact it's village.

For me, an Argyle home game has in the last few years become what an Argyle away trip always was/is - a great day on the lash rudely interrupted by 90 minutes of 'football' before normal service is resumed post-5pm. In years gone by I'd say it was a 50/50 split between looking forward to the pub and going to the match. These days, a substantial lunchtime session is very often a prerequisite just to endure what has been served up on the pitch.

Weather forecast is ropey tomorrow. Shame cos' last home game of the season always usually means a drinking tour of the Brit Mutley RWY and the Barbi - but not necessarily in that order!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 11:16 am

You're correct about the expat thing, dear boy. I avoid those enclaves like the plague.

Borrowed....... 'Village mentality'.

When the general population of an area [or football club] they live in become so wrapped up in eachother and eachothers' lives that they completely forget that an outside world actually exists.

They may also reject new ideas and alienate anyone from the outside world and look upon them as a possible Viking invader [educated wanker].

There will most certainly be a hierarchy of who to know and who not to know with potentially hazardous results if you were to befriend the "wrong people".

Fortunately if you find yourself in this hellish situation you will also be aware that an outside world does actually exist with people who have diverse and open minds and are prepared to move on with the times as to secure a better world for future generations.

The very fact that you and only you in a whole town of interbred misfits know of such a place gives you the power to pack your bags and get the **** out of there before your brain stops working and you begin to resemble something from the walking dead.

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 11:26 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

For me, an Argyle home game has in the last few years become what an Argyle away trip always was/is - a great day on the lash rudely interrupted by 90 minutes of 'football' before normal service is resumed post-5pm. In years gone by I'd say it was a 50/50 split between looking forward to the pub and going to the match. These days, a substantial lunchtime session is very often a prerequisite just to endure what has been served up on the pitch.

Weather forecast is ropey tomorrow. Shame cos' last home game of the season always usually means a drinking tour of the Brit Mutley RWY and the Barbi - but not necessarily in that order!

No doubt, I'd be in the same pedalo if still in the area. Your good self, along with others like Greenskin know the score but are powerless through location, not to make the best of a bad job.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 12:17 pm

I'd love to be exiled somewhere abroad permanently too Tring. It'd certainly take care of having to endure the Argyle 'experience'. I was in the Canaries at Easter and I don't think I realised it was even a Saturday, let alone having to kiss bye bye to £21 for the pleasure of witnessing another home defeat to Oxford. I'll be easing myself into the 14/15 season in August with a fortnight in Greece!  sunny
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 12:50 pm

Yea Man wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

Holloway was the one manager in many a year who could have taken us all the way to the top flight.

As usual though the ambition wasn't there and the rest is history.

Maybe he would have. Maybe he wouldn't.

I've said this before, and no doubt I'll bore myself rigid by having to say it again at some stage, but Holloway was backed by the board and long before he toddled off leaving a trail of lies ("Leicester? Poppycock!" remember?) in his wake he was spending money above what the club could afford and the club had been running at a "controllable loss" for some time. Holloway signed Fallon, Halmosi and Easter all of whom either beat or equalled our transfer record. He also signed SEB for, for us, a significant sum. So, I contend, Holloway was backed by the board as far as they were able.

Obviously he wasn't backed as far as he wanted to be or he would have stayed but how much more would it have cost to back him as he wanted to be backed? And even then there's no knowing if it would have worked.

I know people will say "he did it at Blackpool". But Blackpool racked up £20m in debt along the way (since reclaimed by the Chairman who is now widely reviled but was a heroic inspiration then). Blackpool are now in a huge mess.

Holloway left a mess behind him here, a mess behind him at Blackpool and a mess behind him at Leicester... It's almost as though he sets trends!

If Holloway had been given unlimited backing I am pretty certain that we could have gone up but wouldn't that be the case for any manager?
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 1:02 pm

trouble with that statement is blackpool had their time at the top table for £20million, whereas argyle racked up £17 million and made it to the dizzy lows of division four
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party EmptyFri Apr 25, 2014 1:09 pm

True. Blackpool had their day in the sun and we never did but let's wait and see where Blackpool bottom out before we finally assess their plight.

Racking up £17m of debt and still failing abysmally was quite an achievement when you think of it!

Juust imagine if Blackpool's £20m had not resulted in PL football... They'd've been equally as stuffed as we were.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party   Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party Empty

Back to top Go down

Tring Aviva Alert - Pompey Party
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next