Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?

Go down 
+11
Tringreen
Coxside_Green
Elias
X Isle
GreenSam
Sir Francis Drake
hairy j
`rgill
VillageGreen
mouldyoldgoat
akagreengull
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Tringreen

Tringreen

So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 10:05 am

Ramsey was a reserved, articulate, thinking man, who would have succeeded in whatever he chose to do.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

He was certainly no Fletcher or Sheridan.
Back to top Go down

So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 10:15 am

Think we have the nucleus of a very good side. Not a major overhaul of personnel required but changes are needed.

Shez needs to learn to react to changes on the pitch quicker, and not stick stubbornly to a system not bringing consistent results.

An alternative to 352 at home is needed, and would be great to see more young lads get games next season, and the ones that don't play shipped out to a feeder club like Weymouth/Dorchester/Truro so they don't rot in the reserves, like Vassell and Richards have done for part of this season.

Judging by the interview with Reid, it looks like he is keen to sign for next season.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 10:19 am

You see I just don't get this obsession with having your teams manager educated primarily at Rada? So what if he doesn't like talking to the press? He doesn't need to be an orator or a wit in the presence of the media. He just needs to stop the team being a bunch of billy bottlers.
Personally I think Shez will go elsewhere at the end of the season, something isn't right, I'm amazed we haven heard any lost the dressing room stories yet.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 10:49 am

You've missed the point Iggy. Ramsey was a Dagenham boy. Even had the accent before he took elocution lessons. What the videos show is that he was tactically astute, naturally commanded respect, wouldn't tolerate fools and could motivate footballers .
He started with Ipswich in DIV 3 and took them to the top flight title.

Like Fletcher,Sheridan comes across as inarticulate and ponderous. Of course they both know something about the game having played it but they are not leaders who can inspire others.
Luggy, clearly had an eye for a player and a system in the lower leagues but his limitations showed further up the pyramid.

Back to top Go down
hairy j

hairy j

PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 11:09 am

Luggy had a half decent record at Southampton.

I'd prefer Sheridan over Luggy mk 2, Mariner, Fletcher, Hodges, Kemp, Shilton.

In my lifetime, Ken Brown and Luggy mk 1, Pulis and Holloway stand out. I wasn't that aware of what a manager actually did when Smith was managing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 11:50 am

Tringreen wrote:
You've missed the point Iggy. Ramsey was a Dagenham boy. Even had the accent before he took elocution lessons. What the videos show is that he was tactically astute, naturally commanded respect, wouldn't tolerate fools and could motivate footballers .
He started with Ipswich in DIV 3 and took them to the top flight title.

Like Fletcher,Sheridan comes across as inarticulate and ponderous. Of course they both know something about the game having played it but they are not leaders who can inspire others.
Luggy, clearly had an eye for a player and a system in the lower leagues but his limitations showed further up the pyramid.

No dear boy I think that you have missed mine. You only have the public after match interview to go on, how do you know that he doesn't motivate the players in training and behind closed doors? You don't need to be a high class orator to achieve that. How about Tony Pulis? Hardly feckin Wordsworth is he? Furgeson would never be lead act with the royal Shakespeare company either. Mourhinio is lovely to look at and very sexy with his mediterranean looks and accent but I'm sure it's his skills as a coach that make him a force although I can see why people are turned by the Armani suits, lol, and to rest my case I give you arsehole Wenger. Say no more.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 12:17 pm

The crux of the matter is that orator or not you can't polish turds.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 1:32 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Don't think it's the major issue what his perceived faults in communication are,the most uncommunicative manager in history was the one who actually won the world cup for England.The fact is that Sheridan has had a hitherto reasonably successful management career which includes winning this division with Chesterfield as well as the JPT and consistently challenging for the play offs in a higher division with Oldham.He did get relegated at Chesterfield as well but that would be about the only real blot on his record so far-Warnock has been relegated three times, a bad season or two is almost inevitable in any lengthy career.On the face of it,Sheridan's record at Argyle isn't that bad either-bottom of the league when he arrived 13 months ago,9th position at the moment.Not bad but not good enough and yesterdays collapse together with the insipid performances over the previous half a dozen games surely confirm that the squad has neither the bottle or quality to take the club forward.There was a tipping point in Sturrock's first spell- a 4-1 hiding at Kidderminster which finally convinced him that major changes had to occur and big decisions made-from what the manager has been saying in the press today,a similar sea change in thinking has taken place.Overall i think he deserves a chance to build something which is truly his own creation [9 of the players in yesterdays squad were on the books when he arrived] and that he is given the tools to do the job.Could be a very cataclysmic summer.

Agree with all of that. What Sheridan doesn't do is pretend that he's at the greatest club in the world by blowing smoke up everyones arses. Is he a perfect fit for PAFC? Well no, he isn't. Is this purely a term of managerial employment as opposed to a passion for the club and the area? Well yes, it is. is he a media-friendly manager? Not at all. Does this really matter? Not to me it doesn't. I agree with Iggy that he does generally give off the persona of someone not particularly happy with his lot. I wouldn't be shocked if he left this summer, especially if a job came up closer to home. But I still think he knows he is at a club where he has a far better chance of enhancing his CV with a promotion, than he'd have elsewhere.

The bottom line for me is that if you'd said we'd be headed toward the back end of the season in the top ten, that would most certainly be acceptable for this particular season. I predicted 13th, so it looks like he's gonna top that.

If Brent doesn't slash the budget then it's fair to expect a proper run at promotion next year with anything other than a play-off spot as 'not good enough'.

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 1:36 pm

I give up. Time for a guinness, I fink . drunken 
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 6:01 pm

Iggy wrote:
You see I just don't get this obsession with having your teams manager educated primarily at Rada? So what if he doesn't like talking to the press? He doesn't need to be an orator or a wit in the presence of the media. He just needs to stop the team being a bunch of billy bottlers.
Personally I think Shez will go elsewhere at the end of the season, something isn't right, I'm amazed we haven heard any lost the dressing room stories yet.

You could have a valid point there. I think JS would be the type of manager to get rid of players if there was any "dressing room hassle", i do not believe he is as weak as Fletcher was.

I also do not not think he would resign from two more years of paid work. He seems to be very frustrated by the way this season has ended and says in the local rag that after Monday's game, he will look at who to ship out, both contract and non-contract.

He must be as pig-sick as we all are .

Last edited by VillageGreen on Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 6:05 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Don't think it's the major issue what his perceived faults in communication are,the most uncommunicative manager in history was the one who actually won the world cup for England.The fact is that Sheridan has had a hitherto reasonably successful management career which includes winning this division with Chesterfield as well as the JPT and consistently challenging for the play offs in a higher division with Oldham.He did get relegated at Chesterfield as well but that would be about the only real blot on his record so far-Warnock has been relegated three times, a bad season or two is almost inevitable in any lengthy career.On the face of it,Sheridan's record at Argyle isn't that bad either-bottom of the league when he arrived 13 months ago,9th position at the moment.Not bad but not good enough and yesterdays collapse together with the insipid performances over the previous half a dozen games surely confirm that the squad has neither the bottle or quality to take the club forward.There was a tipping point in Sturrock's first spell- a 4-1 hiding at Kidderminster which finally convinced him that major changes had to occur and big decisions made-from what the manager has been saying in the press today,a similar sea change in thinking has taken place.Overall i think he deserves a chance to build something which is truly his own creation [9 of the players in yesterdays squad were on the books when he arrived] and that he is given the tools to do the job.Could be a very cataclysmic summer.

Agree with all of that. What Sheridan doesn't do is pretend that he's at the greatest club in the world by blowing smoke up everyones arses. Is he a perfect fit for PAFC? Well no, he isn't. Is this purely a term of managerial employment as opposed to a passion for the club and the area? Well yes, it is. is he a media-friendly manager? Not at all. Does this really matter? Not to me it doesn't. I agree with Iggy that he does generally give off the persona of someone not particularly happy with his lot. I wouldn't be shocked if he left this summer, especially if a job came up closer to home. But I still think he knows he is at a club where he has a far better chance of enhancing his CV with a promotion, than he'd have elsewhere.

The bottom line for me is that if you'd said we'd be headed toward the back end of the season in the top ten, that would most certainly be acceptable for this particular season. I predicted 13th, so it looks like he's gonna top that.

If Brent doesn't slash the budget then it's fair to expect a proper run at promotion next year with anything other than a play-off spot as 'not good enough'.

Fully agreed Czar. Every word of that does it for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 6:06 pm

What does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team?

Find a new job with a chairman who has ambition.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 20, 2014 3:56 am

Bandwagon wrote:
Coxside_Green wrote:
After much deliberation, Sheridan needs to find a new club.

Must admit he has never floated my boat - a poor communicator upfront leads me to think he's almost certainly the same in front of his players!!

I never exactly meant it in that sense, just answering the thread question.  No manager has a chance here.  There will always be a hindrance somewhere.  Whether it be wages getting paid or a player's wife meeting... There will always be something stopping this club progressing under our 'abuse deleted' lovely owner.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 4:33 pm

We will all know who is staying and who is going rather soon, according to the JS interview in the local rag.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 4:45 pm

We struggle to create chances at home especially from wide areas. We need either a bit of pace on the flanks or at least someone who can cross the ball. Berry and (the on-loan) Reckord are/ were abysmal at crossing, Parsons in the few games I've seen him looks like he can cross. Thomas looks like he might fit the bill but is inconsistent.

Luggy came up with the right formula 12 years ago with Worrell, Mcglinchey/ Bessie at full backs who overlapped with Hodges and Phillips on the wings. The space they created allowed Friio to get in the box more- possibly Hourihane could do this but our width has been non-existent this season and most of our play is through the centre or hoof to Reid.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 6:11 pm

Absolutely, Ali. During Saturday's match I lost count of the number of times I was urging someone to get down the line & cross it - Banton, Parsons, Gurrieri, Hourihane ..... anyone. All they seemed to do was to put in the diagonal ball which the Wimbledon defenders were eating up every time! They got back quickly in numbers and at times the best way to have broken them down was to go to the by-line. There just seemed to be no variation and no appetite to consistently take on their defence.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2014 6:42 pm

Maybe then there is a lack of decent coaching and leadership.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?   So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

So what does Sheridan need to do or change to create a REAL promotion winning team for next season?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2