Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread

Go down 
+13
Mock Cuncher
hippo
All the Presidents Men
Chemical Ali
hairy j
GreenSam
Mapperley, darling
Dane
Elias
Dick Trickle
SwimWithTheTide
Dougie
Greenskin
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 9:53 pm

Well done Sheridan. Go there and go for the win from the off. No messing.
Webb's commentating meant I had to abandon ship, can't listen to that self aware and one dimensional dross, so watched the Chelsea game instead. Great stuff from Mourinho, another example of how a manager can be the most important man at a football club. Must buy myself a Stamford Bridge season ticket. I don't watch much TV football, but good to see an English football club ground appearing to be a proper ground, with proper fans, rather than the corporate/bored office clerks at Old Trafford, Emirates nonsense.
Little to no chance chance of catching the likes of York and Southend by the end.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 9:55 pm

knecht wrote:
Huge game on Saturday. Oxford will be really up for it.

Do you think Argyle will be?

We better be... It's not often you get a second bite of the cherry.

Could well be a defining moment for the clubs progress.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 10:01 pm

The main reason few teams do a Dowie/Crystal Palace revival thing is that other teams are allowed to keep on winning as well. Too inconsistent sadly, despite the odd good win.

Good team selections tonight. I don't understand why Sheridan abandoned the twin wing back thing a few games ago, but glad to see it restored. I would guess Thomas is an asset at this level.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 10:03 pm

Winter Green wrote:
Webb giving it the old "we're sitting too deep, we have to move up".
Typical comments from someone who really hasn't played the game.
Webby, unless teams are under obvious instructions, teams do not sit back on purpose. They sit deeper because they are pushed back. It's how attack and defence works. It's a game involving two teams.

Exactly and that's how goals are scored on the counter attack as well.Wouldn't mind a quid for every time a team has come to HP over the years,got a relatively early goal and then defended it throughout the second half.Absolute bullshit to say that Argyle [or whoever the home team were when Argyle win by the odd goal away from home] were unlucky-good defending is all part of the game,no matter how many corners you concede or shots the opposition have.Good win for Argyle tonight,very pleased to see Tyler get on the scoresheet and the pot is still boiling.But it must be followed up with another win on Saturday-Oxford have been in bad form recently,on the face of it they should be very beatable but we've seen these situations before.Here's hoping anyway.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 10:09 pm

We didnt get going 2nd half, invited pressure. Great win. Mc ds then the long journey home
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 10:15 pm

Rickler wrote:
knecht wrote:
Huge game on Saturday. Oxford will be really up for it.

Do you think Argyle will be?

We better be...  It's not often you get a second bite of the cherry.

Could well be a defining moment for the clubs progress.

If they're not that would be really bad.

If I'm up to it I may toddle off to HP myself. Should be a good turn-out - though whether it's up to the Exeter gate is unlikely.

In amongst all this excitement of possibly reaching the play-offs may be forgetting that there would still be the little matter of two more matches before promotion chance. But after the last few seasons that would be an achievement in itself. I was anxious about what Sheridan was doing early in the season but I was wrong. He seems to have put together a pretty good side - or at least maybe good enough to do the job we need. We have certainly been inconsistent at times but there's no denying our relative success in the last 20 or so games.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 10:27 pm

Under the new Ridsdale counting procedure, I would go for 8,500 tops on Saturday. I'm still on my boycott, so are a few fans I know. More ammunition for the "fickle janner" moaning janners excusing the ministand. Xisle will be beside himself, IJN citing treason, and James is king.
Football is a habit. Tribe is something to identify with, not just a quickie for 90 minutes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 12:11 am

spowell92 wrote:
ejh wrote:
How many tickets have we sold? How many available to potd?

Dont wanna turn up with me mates to a closed sell out.

Doubt it'll be sold out. Taking figures from football ground guide, the away ends can fit a total of 980 (400 in South stand, 580 in Bisley).

It can't have been far off! They were herds of Argyle fans stood on the stair aisles and along the concourse.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 12:31 am

spowell92 wrote:
Question to those saying must win tonight or no play offs, are you saying you believe the max points we'll realistically pick up to catch Southend/Oxford/York are 3 in the last 5 games?

For me it wasn't JUST the 3 points that were vital tonight - it was the buzz, the confidence, and the feel good factor that we will take into Oxford.

That, and knowledge of Nathan Thomas's powers. Sheridan will need to be in a brave mood to want to drop him again.
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 12:32 am

Indeed mate, terrific turn out. I had quite the shock when 5 minutes before kick off Branno comes and stands next to me for the match! Brilliant win argyle! I trust you and your mates got tickets alright EJH?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 1:18 am

Yeah not a problem. The hi-tec pencil and paper tally chart method, I think, meant that more fans had tickets than the away end had seats.

Branston was great for sitting with the fans - Did he moan and groan with each bad touch like the rest of us, and did he have any interesting opinions? I saw him on the way out with a dozen loud fans behind him singing his name... "Branno, give us a song!"
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 2:29 am

Winter Green wrote:

Football is a habit. Tribe is something to identify with, not just a quickie for 90 minutes.

Although...  When the date is a hottie,  who would blame anyone wanting just a quickie for 90 minutes?

Well, the 'Superfan club' on pasoti would be one...  

Which I find a harsh attitude, as I'm guessing that even you WG, might be 'understandably' seduced, especially if booze and the promise of a good time were involved?

PS.  Regarding Superfanship...  I shall not be personally annoyed at the EXTRA seventy odd thousand LA 'silocones' that will be in attendance this night who I don't normally see amongst the 22,000 in the 'Stubhub' on an average Saturday!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Get your ticket Dane!
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 8:07 am

Must admit I was fairly confident of getting a result last night to the point I told a work colleague who comes from quite near Newport that I would be sending him a victory text later.Which I did.
Listened to the whole game despite Webbs ridiculous moronic commentary getting in the way. The tw@t really does think he is the only real Argo fan around.
Felt even more confident in the line up - something had to change, great timing to start Tyler when he did and also having confidence in Thomas.
Game on for Saturday!
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 8:50 am

ejh wrote:
Yeah not a problem. The hi-tec pencil and paper tally chart method, I think, meant that more fans had tickets than the away end had seats.

Branston was great for sitting with the fans - Did he moan and groan with each bad touch like the rest of us, and did he have any interesting opinions? I saw him on the way out with a dozen loud fans behind him singing his name... "Branno, give us a song!"

Have they given an away attendance figure? I've seen estimations floating about of 1,000 which if true would be remarkable!

Branno was very interesting in what he was saying. Told some great stories about his career and insight on some of the current pros. He react to the what the players were doing just like any of us did. Great bloke, said if he doesn't have a new club next season he may just get a season ticket with us. I told him I'd rather him on the comms more often with Sparksy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 10:16 am

Branno was great commentating last time with Sparksey, the most telling thing that he said was when Sparksey said wasn't Young great Branno told him off and said more or less, "if people keep blowing smoke up the boys arse he will never amount to anything, he could easily be a CCC player but he has to hit his man on the nut with every ball, it doesn't do him any favours when every time he NEARLY makes a cross or pass everybody bangs on about how great he is." I had to take a shower after listening to Greenman last night.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 10:41 am

Branston didn't take any nonsense from Sparksy and was always up for disagreeing. It stopped it being a cosy little chat but it also meant I was listening out for the potential tension between those two rather than focussing on the game.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 12:08 pm

Wasn't Sparksy up for a PASB position at one time?
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 2:14 pm

I went up to Newport last night and although it was not a classic, it certainly was a better Argyle than i have seen of late. They just wanted it more than Newport. In terrible ground and playing on an awful looking pitch, it was a workmen like effort.

Players of note who stood out last night were Thomas, note a bad game for him. Also the Argentine lad and the grand old master himself (PW)
looked lively. Enoch is a very big lad indeed, a giant of a Man.

Good turn out from the Green Army [seemed to be a fair old few there] and at the end the players came over to celebrate with us.

So now onto Oxford United and hopefully three points.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 2:52 pm

Terrible defending for our first gola. Nicely set up for our second.

Interestingly I was expecting a pitch far worse than can be seen in those shots. I'm not saying it was good - it's just indicative of how far pitches have come when what might have been a normal winter surface years ago is so heavily criticised nowadays.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 5:55 pm

Great bit of play from Reid to set up Hourihane for the second goal. Still all to play for, Can't wait for Saturday.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 8:17 pm

Newports organisation of the away end was shambolic, thank god it was midweek !!!!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 9:40 pm

AstiSpumante wrote:
Great bit of play from Reid to set up Hourihane for the second goal. Still all to play for, Can't wait for Saturday.

Yes.... missed Exeter and really still hurting but think we can still do it. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
hairy j

hairy j

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 9:54 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
I went up to Newport last night and although it was not a classic, it certainly was a better Argyle than i have seen of late. They just wanted it more than Newport. In terrible ground and playing on an awful looking pitch, it was a workmen like effort.

Players of note who stood out last night were Thomas, note a bad game for him. Also the Argentine lad and the grand old master himself (PW)
looked lively. Enoch is a very big lad indeed, a giant of a Man.

Good turn out from the Green Army [seemed to be a fair old few there] and at the end the players came over to celebrate with us.

So now onto Oxford United and hopefully three points.

Gurrieri's actually Swiss.

I don't think we'll find it that hard against Oxford as they're free falling but we too can be our own worst enemy. It's other games where I think we'll slip up. Bury have hit form and Portsmouth away will be tough. It's also no longer in our hands and Oxford aren't in the play offs - Southend and York need to lose more than we do.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 10:03 pm

3 homes 2 aways ? hmmmmm cant see how we're going to do it as our home form is poor.

Back to top Go down
hairy j

hairy j

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 09, 2014 10:06 pm

That's what worries me. At home, we're often so frail. I expect close to 9,000 and we all know what happens when those players see full stands. Rabbits in headlights. I'd hapily swap those home games for away games.
Saturday is going to be stressful.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread   The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Tommy played for them v Argyle last chance saloon but almost certainly futile match thread
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next