Dougie
Dick Trickle
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
plymptonpilgreen

plymptonpilgreen

The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 10:08 pm

Dick Trickle wrote:
Back in the hourglass pub. Great nights. Not a great performance but a great ping of a goal against a shite Wycombe side. Consuming more beers before a curry in town. Has everyone got Pompey and May Bank Holiday booked off?

Enjoy the ride Smile
Hats off to the travelling GREEN ARMY Dick Trickle.

Enjoy your night  Thumbs parteeeeee drunk 
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 10:22 pm

Great win!

I listened to the first half on the radio in the car. Nobody's mentioned this little "exchange" but it made me smile:

Drew: "I like Alessandra. Runs his socks off. Always willing to run the channels. Reminds me of Garry Nelson."
Pres:

Drew obviously expected the Pres to say something but he didn't.

It sounded for all the world like he didn't have a clue who Garry Nelson was.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 10:29 pm

argyle_till_i_die wrote:
Where's lord tis tonight.....?

The natives are restless;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 10:42 pm

Greenskin wrote:
argyle_till_i_die wrote:
Where's lord tis tonight.....?

The natives are restless;

With N'famptons game in hand and the form table, it's probably odds-on that we'll be Devons only league club next year. Not good really in the wider sense. Exeter will probably mope around for a few years like they did last time before getting back up, but you fear that Torquay could be looking at a long long time in the wilderness.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 11:17 pm

A tense win, a vital win, upward momentum restored.

We were dominant throughout most of the match, yet strangely hesitant at times as well.

They were truly awful at times, while we looked far more fluid on the ball and the game was there for the taking - but we didn't really take it.

We edged it, in truth.

It's indicative of the flatness of this league that Wycombe were unbeaten in six before the match tonight - how that happens is anyone's guess.

Those last ten minutes were tough to endure, as we spent most of the second half retreating further into our own half, inviting pressure onto ourselves.

Never mind all that - we won, and that is all that matters.

Tougher tests to come - but well done, all in green.

PS - Nelson's run down the left wing to generate the corner that led to our goal was a thing of beauty.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 11, 2014 11:50 pm

First half dire by both teams.  Was hoping the 4th official put a minus sign before the time he put up on his board to put everyone out of there misery.

Good goal.  Then more nothingness.  Then some Wycombe pressure. Then a run by Nelson from one end of the pitch to the other the audacity of which had Ruben Reid in laughter.  Then the game ended and we won.

Super turn out by the Green Army.  Any atmosphere sucked out of the crowd by the fare on display on the pitch.  But we won so hey ho.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 12:03 am

Argyle at Wembley and Exeter scum going down in the same season, it doesn't get better than that.

Newport will be close to the bottom as well - Horrendous form.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 1:15 am

hairy j wrote:

I fear for Torquay tonight. Exeter too.

No need, we are dead and just need burying, the Turks might I believe have turned a bit of a corner.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 1:21 am

Czarcasm wrote:

With N'famptons game in hand and the form table, it's probably odds-on that we'll be Devons only league club next year. Not good really in the wider sense. Exeter will probably mope around for a few years like they did last time before getting back up, but you fear that Torquay could be looking at a long long time in the wilderness.

Not shore you are right there Czarky, I think the Turks still have a fifty fifty chance of staying up plus even if they did go down with us they would be far better funded, we are a complete clusterfook.

Still this time last year we were sat in sixth while you were rock bottom so nils desperandum eh?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 7:13 am

What a difference a day year makes eh?  clown 
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 8:28 am

Lord Tisdale wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

Not shore you are right there Czarky, I think the Turks still have a fifty fifty chance of staying up plus even if they did go down with us they would be far better funded, we are a complete clusterfook.

Still this time last year we were sat in sixth while you were rock bottom so nils desperandum eh?

Cream always rises to the surface eventually.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 8:40 am

Zyph wrote:
Lord Tisdale wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

Cream always rises to the surface eventually.

Scum rises to the top too.

Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 8:40 am

Terrific win. A pretty flat first half where, despite all our possession and good build up play, we lacked ideas on how to break Wycombe down.

For the start of the second half we began to get the ball down on the deck more, less of the head tennis rubbish and more of being strong in the challenge to get the ball down on the floor. With the intent to keep the ball on the ground more we were able to make the most of our passing game and really up the pressure on Wycombe.

Nelson was terrific all match and my man of the match, his moment of the game was bursting down the left wing to win a corner. In my opinion Parsons struggled again as he did on Saturday, so it was great to see someone really do something on that flank. The corner result in another corner and that corner result in the goal. I thought Conor's touch was heavy but the defender bottled the challenge and the skip struck brilliantly.

After that the game revert back to how it was in the first half. Young's otherwise good game began to falter as he was twice caught out in possession and his lightweight frame easily shrugged off the ball. And despite their late corners and good set piece positions, Wycombe never really troubled Cole. Vital and well deserved win.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 9:03 am

The Avivas on Nool's Farm can't hide their excitement.

Laughing at Exeter and mocking Scunny for their 3k attendance last night  No 

One even thinks 9k will turn up at the Theatre of Schemes on Saturday  Shocked 

Putting attendance figures into context:

Scunthorpe is a town in North Lincolnshire, England. It is the administrative centre of the North Lincolnshire unitary authority, and had an estimated total resident population of 72,514 people in 2010.[1] A predominantly industrial town, Scunthorpe, the United Kingdom's largest steel processing centre, is also known as the "Industrial Garden Town".[2][3] It is the third largest settlement in Lincolnshire after Grimsby and Lincoln.

Plymouth:
Today the city is home to around 250,000 people, making it the 27th most populous built-up area in England and Wales. It is governed locally by Plymouth City Council and is represented nationally by three MPs. Plymouth's economy is still strongly influenced by shipbuilding, but has become a more service-based economy since the 1990s. It has the ninth largest university in the United Kingdom by number of students, the University of Plymouth, and the largest operational naval base in Western Europe – HMNB Devonport. The city has ferry links to France and Spain.
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 9:32 am

Are you not excited over the prospects of Argyle playing at Wembley, Tring?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 9:39 am

spowell92 wrote:

Nope. Was there in '96 and enjoyed every minute.We had about 35k and Darlo about 10k. Had a letter published in the Herald , imploring the club to back Warnock and unleash the undoubted potential.
Yet another missed opportunity. The Holloway debacle and what has ensued, has put me right off getting involved until the club deserves it.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 9:39 am

Ola

I have a confession. I've been playing in a golf tournament over here which involved travelling to different courses over the last 3 days and didn't know we were playing last night. Which pretty much confirms that I'm not a proper fan.

Glad we won though. Play offs now seem a real possibility.

Who'd have thought it?

Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 9:40 am

Just thinking have two Devon clubs ever been relegated together either in the same season or in the same league before?
 confused 
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 9:43 am

Dick Trickle wrote:
The signs are good....ATD/Plympton Grammar School meet up at The Victoria & Albert, decent London Pride and only 23 minutes to Wycombe on the fast one.

That would be 4 cans for Bandy, but I reckon a nice Cornish Ale from M&S should suffice.

Have been recommended the Belle Vue pub in HW. CAMRA's HW Premier Venue.... jocolor 

PGS was my old school, educated w@anker that I am.

When were you there?
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 10:35 am

Tringreen wrote:
spowell92 wrote:

Nope. Was there in '96 and enjoyed every minute.We had about 35k and Darlo about 10k. Had a letter published in the Herald , imploring the club to back Warnock and unleash the undoubted potential.
Yet another missed opportunity. The Holloway debacle and what has ensued, has put me right off getting involved until the club deserves it.

You don't like JB and the way the club is being run at the minute, that's your opinion and I get that. But I'd say the team deserve it mate, especially if they do manage to extend their season beyond Portsmouth. There's some on the other site saying forget the politics and focus on the football, but I think they can both be given attention as separate entities.

If you can't stand Brent and his plans, at least try and enjoy what's happening on the field - especially now that it's quite good  parteeeeee 
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 10:39 am

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:
The signs are good....ATD/Plympton Grammar School meet up at The Victoria & Albert, decent London Pride and only 23 minutes to Wycombe on the fast one.

That would be 4 cans for Bandy, but I reckon a nice Cornish Ale from M&S should suffice.

Have been recommended the Belle Vue pub in HW. CAMRA's HW Premier Venue.... jocolor 

PGS was my old school, educated w@anker that I am.

When were you there?

Entry year was the last year of 11 plus so 1982-89.

Must admit to feeling a tad "peaky" this morning but up and about...at last.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 10:41 am

spowell92 wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
spowell92 wrote:

You don't like JB and the way the club is being run at the minute, that's your opinion and I get that. But I'd say the team deserve it mate, especially if they do manage to extend their season beyond Portsmouth. There's some on the other site saying forget the politics and focus on the football, but I think they can both be given attention as separate entities.

If you can't stand Brent and his plans, at least try and enjoy what's happening on the field - especially now that it's quite good  parteeeeee 

It isn't just brent that I can't stand.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 10:44 am

One of my uncles went to Plympton Grammar. He cycled there & back every day from Turnchapel. Mind you, he probably started there in about 1940).

Still really pleased with last night's win. It sounds like the performance was yet another below par but I'd take that if we manage the play-offs. I'd take winning if the ball bounces off the referee's backside from a defensive clearance & goes into the net. Some tough games coming up! They'll be the true measure of how far we've come.
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 10:47 am

Tringreen wrote:
spowell92 wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
spowell92 wrote:

He's only another fan who's friends with guys at the top. He's nothing to do with the team. I've been to well over half the matches this season and have never met the bloke.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 11:09 am

spowell92 wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
spowell92 wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
spowell92 wrote:

He's only another fan who's friends with guys at the top. He's nothing to do with the team. I've been to well over half the matches this season and have never met the bloke.

When you work out 'why' he is 'friends' with those people, you will have the answer to why an increasing number of thinking and decent, long term supporters have largely switched off, as far as physical support is concerned.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread   The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The "Back to Winning Ways" Wycombe Match Thread
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next