greensleeves
Dingle
Sir Francis Drake
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

The squad Empty
PostSubject: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 2:03 pm

It seems that 75% of the current squad (not including Reid and Lavery as they are loans and will leave anyway as will Blackman) are out of contract at the end of the season. Including Nelson, Young, Hourihane, McCormick.

So my question is Will how we finish this season ie pushing for the playoffs or slip down the table affect whether or not all the "stars" if not some will sign new contracts or will we get another example of Brents "ambitons" and the "stars" move on?

Personally i would be starting negotiations with Young, Hourihane and Nelson now and not wait till the season ends like with Bhasera and if they dont want to stay then we can get something for them rather than nothing in the window.

Back to top Go down

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 2:58 pm

So to clairfy the players out of contract at the end of the season are

Wotton
McCormick
Cole
Trotman
Boco
Berry
Young
Nelson
Richards
Guirreri
Blanchard
Chadwick
Branston
Vassell
LeCointe

Apparently Hourihane is under contract till 2015 so thats good news at least.
Back to top Go down

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Wotton..NO
McCormick..YES
Cole..YES
Trotman..YES
Boco..YES
Berry..POSSIBLY
Young..YES
Nelson..YES
Richards..NO
Guirreri..NO
Blanchard..YES
Chadwick..NO
Branston..NO
Vassell..NO
LeCointe..NO
Back to top Go down

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 3:15 pm

Good one Angry. Razz 
The very idea of someone actually paying a capital sum for any of Argyle's properly contracted players is, frankly, beyond my comprehension.

I think we can safely say that won't be happening. It's all a bit Napoleon and self deluding, and a  bit like imagining one's haggard wife or husband could command a second look out in the wild. cat
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 3:18 pm

I would imagine that Young, McCormick and Nelson would be keen to stay. The hardest one to keep will be Cole.

Begs the question "how far off are we from a good side?"

If we work through the spine we have 2 good goalies, 2 good CBs and 2 strikers (Reid and Morgan). So we need to get Nelson, Trotman, Reid and McCormick signed up or else that is weakened. Central midfield remains a problem although Blizzard has done well lately so maybe him and Hourihane are a base to work from even if they aren't the answer.

Full backs are still a problem. Purrington needs support so we need a LB. We also need a good RB. Much the same goes for wide players. We've struggled out wide (both flanks) all season. We saw what Banton and Brown did for us last season so we know what we need. We might even know who we need!

Of the others I'd keep Guerrieri, Alessandra, Blanchard, Young, Branston as long as they were good deals from the club's point of view for squad players.

Berry, Boco and Wotton (much as I hate to say it) offer little and have to go. Blizzard has only recently escaped from being on this list because I thought he did well v Torquay. And the less Branston plays the closer he gets to it too.

Basically bring back Banton, Cox (in which case lose Blizzard) and Brown and add a couple of proper full backs and we're there. Just about. If we can afford it and if we want to be successful that is.

Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 3:25 pm

Their is no way as long as i have a hole in my arse that the reluctant bidder will pay a fee for a player.
I also highly doubt that anyone due to depart wanting a better contract will be granted their wish.
I find it bizarre that some supporters seem to think that just because we are on a decent run we are nailed on for the play offs.
Mid table mediocrity in L2 is JB level of ambition for PAFC, as long as he keeps his toadies sweet all will run accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Dingle

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 3:36 pm

Don't forget that the cost of buying the freehold of the stadium from the council increases if we get promotion. Much safer from an investment point of view to be aiming for promotion/playoff places rather than actually get there.
Back to top Go down

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 3:49 pm

Wotton has a job in the youth setup so i feel he will just retire and stay at the club in that role if anything. He surely cant think he can offer any other club with the possible exception of the retirement home (truro) in terms of ability any more.
Back to top Go down

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 4:36 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
I would imagine that Young, McCormick and Nelson would be keen to stay. The hardest one to keep will be Cole.

If we work through the spine we have 2 good goalies, 2 good CBs and 2 strikers (Reid and Morgan). So we need to get Nelson, Trotman, Reid and McCormick signed up or else that is weakened. Central midfield remains a problem although Blizzard has done well lately so maybe him and Hourihane are a base to work from even if they aren't the answer.

Full backs are still a problem. Purrington needs support so we need a LB. We also need a good RB. Much the same goes for wide players. We've struggled out wide (both flanks) all season. We saw what Banton and Brown did for us last season so we know what we need. We might even know who we need!

Of the others I'd keep Guerrieri, Alessandra, Blanchard, Young, Branston as long as they were good deals from the club's point of view for squad players.

Berry, Boco and Wotton (much as I hate to say it) offer little and have to go. Blizzard has only recently escaped from being on this list because I thought he did well v Torquay. And the less Branston plays the closer he gets to it too.

Basically bring back Banton, Cox (in which case lose Blizzard) and Brown and add a couple of proper full backs and we're there. Just about. If we can afford it and if we want to be successful that is.

Do you mean Bryan?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 5:42 pm

Joe Brown. Bristol City player. Left sided. Might've been Joe Bryan to you but he'll always be Joe Brown to this Bruvver.

Back to top Go down
greensleeves

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 6:17 pm

Lavery would be first on my list to sign on permanently, the club should make him an offer he cant refuse,argyle can AFFORD it....

Last edited by greensleeves on Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 6:18 pm

Angry wrote:
So to clairfy the players out of contract at the end of the season are

Wotton
McCormick
Cole
Trotman
Boco
Berry
Young
Nelson
Richards
Guirreri
Blanchard
Chadwick
Branston
Vassell
LeCointe

Apparently Hourihane is under contract till 2015 so thats good news at least.

Deffo show the door to Wotton, Boco, chadders, and Meathead Branno. Richards Vassell and LeCointe are still young enough to be kept on manageable contracts, but they need to be given a chance next year or there's little point hanging on to 'em.

Cole will want first team football so unless he's offered very favourable terms (unlikely under JB) he'll be off. It's stating the obvious, but we need to pull out the stops to land our decent loan signings on perm contracts - again, unlikely under JB.
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 8:44 pm

Why is it only argyle that every 3 years have the whole squad out of contract at the same time
Back to top Go down

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 8:57 pm

Meticulously planned shortsightedness.  Razz 
Back to top Go down

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 9:29 pm

I know someone who had a good chat with Luke McCormick recently. He asked if Luke was looking to move on & was told that he was happy here but it ultimately wasn't up to him. He's by far a better keeper than Cole. I hope he stays.

After that I'd want Berry, Trotman, Nelson, Young, LeCointe, Reid, Lavery and Blanchard as experienced cover (it's not his fault he's being played out of position). I'm pleased that Hourihane has a long contract. Some of the others I haven't seen play. I'm not sure where we are with Blizzard or Allesandra.

We need a new left-back - Purrington has been good apparently but at 17 he's too young to rely on.

We need a mid-fielder with an old head.

We need someone who can play on the wing and inside.
Back to top Go down

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 10:18 pm

knecht wrote:
I know someone who had a good chat with Luke McCormick recently. He asked if Luke was looking to move on & was told that he was happy here but it ultimately wasn't up to him. He's by far a better keeper than Cole. I hope he stays.

After that I'd want Berry, Trotman, Nelson, Young, LeCointe, Reid, Lavery and Blanchard as experienced cover (it's not his fault he's being played out of position). I'm pleased that Hourihane has a long contract. Some of the others I haven't seen play. I'm not sure where we are with Blizzard or Allesandra.

We need a new left-back - Purrington has been good apparently but at 17 he's too young to rely on.

We need a mid-fielder with an old head.

We need someone who can play on the wing and inside.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 10:32 pm

.... and a young body.  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 10:42 pm

Lecointe..seriously?
People have been waxing lyrical for the last 3 years about this lad, let him go.
Back to top Go down

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 10:48 pm

Wotton - Gone, probably retire and remain as a youth coach however
McCormick - will be offered a new contract
Cole - hope he stays but i will understand if he goes
Trotman - probably will be offered a new deal
Boco - gone
Berry -  will be offered a new deal
Young - will be offered a new deal
Nelson - will be offered a new deal
Richards - gone, he hasnt made any impact since signing his pro deal here 3 years ago
Guirreri - probably gone but i wouldn't be shocked if he stays
Blanchard - will be offered a new deal
Chadwick - GONE and not quick enough
Branston - Gone
Vassell  - gone same as Richards really
LeCointe - given his injury he will probably stay and be given a chance to earn a new deal in pre season
Back to top Go down

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptySat Jan 04, 2014 11:22 pm

punchdrunk wrote:
Lecointe..seriously?
People have been waxing lyrical for the last 3 years about this lad, let him go.

He was very young and seemed to be a lad with potential. I'm with what Angry said, given his injury he needs to be allowed to come back and given a chance to prove himself.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 12:13 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

One down, two to go!
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 12:24 am

By Brown do you mean Bryan?

Not being sarky or smart arse just genuinely unsure who you could mean?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 12:27 am

We've done that one already, Sam. Yes him. Whatever he's called that's the fella.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 12:39 am

Have we? Sorry I forget.

Someone like him on the right side rather than the left would be ideal imo. Our right side is probably our weakest spot right now.
Back to top Go down

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad EmptyThu Jan 09, 2014 12:41 am

GreenSam wrote:
Have we? Sorry I forget.

Someone like him on the right side rather than the left would be ideal imo. Our right side is probably our weakest spot right now.

Thomas perhaps could take that role or Banton. If Thomas produces his rumoured potential jesus chirst we will have a frightening attacking line up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The squad Empty
PostSubject: Re: The squad   The squad Empty

Back to top Go down

The squad
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next