Are we going to add to this squad?

Go down 
+2
Czarcasm
Han Solos Other Ship
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Are we going to add to this squad? Empty
PostSubject: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 12:16 pm

Or does brent think we've got enough to avoid relegation? not been to any matches for ages coz i'm a crap fan, but reading between the lines it looks like we are still found wanting all over the pitch, so is speccy going to show any sort of ambition to bring hope to the stayaways, or will it be more job seeker signings and a first round exit from the fa cup?
Back to top Go down
Han Solos Other Ship

Han Solos Other Ship

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 1:40 pm

No mate not when there's hotels need a buildin'

Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 4:29 pm

In Sheridan, we have a gaffer who can deliver us to the heady heights of being an established League 2 side (FFS), even with Brent miserly holding the purse strings. So no, I don't expect any additions other than possible loanees if we get hit with injuries etc. You only have to look at our bench to see that our squad is paper-thin on quality. Brent doesn't give a toss, mind.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 4:49 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
In Sheridan, we have a gaffer who can deliver us to the heady heights of being an established League 2 side (FFS), even with Brent miserly holding the purse strings. So no, I don't expect any additions other than possible loanees if we get hit with injuries etc. You only have to look at our bench to see that our squad is paper-thin on quality. Brent doesn't give a toss, mind.

Brents strategy is to do just the absolute minimum financially wise, the club will be treading water until he has his "development" once he has the latter he will gone make no bones about it.
The bucket rattlers and arsekissers of the Pyramid suite have a lot to answer for
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Hi czarcs, its obvious to have any sort of season we need a bigger squad, but like you say brent dosen't give a toss,another struggle looks likely!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 6:14 pm

We need a bigger squad? We need quality not quantity. I'd rather have one Branston than three players who are rotated and aren't very good. I'd rather have one Marvin Morgan than four strikers who don't score or create anything. On paper and on the basis of Saturdays first half, we aren't going to be near the bottom this season.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 12:48 am

hairy j wrote:
We need a bigger squad? We need quality not quantity. I'd rather have one Branston than three players who are rotated and aren't very good. I'd rather have one Marvin Morgan than four strikers who don't score or create anything. On paper and on the basis of Saturdays first half, we aren't going to be near the bottom this season.
If any one of Morgan, Branston or Hourihane get crocked, and aren't replaced, we are looking at bottom half.

If Boco or Alessandra are unavailable, the back up options are poor. Poor to the extent Sheridan played Marvin Morgan left wing for two games.

Those 3 or 5 cant play every game, and we can't do without them for a playoff finish.

We also need a new LB as a matter of urgency..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 6:41 am

I can't see why they can't play every game. I was watching the Manchester United vs Chelsea game last night and the commentator remarked that Oscar had played 60 games for Chelsea last season. We don't have much depth but then, who does in this league? I'd rather have a strong 11 than an average to poor 22.
Back to top Go down
gasser9

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 9:15 am

hairy j wrote:
I can't see why they can't play every game. I was watching the Manchester United vs Chelsea game last night and the commentator remarked that Oscar had played 60 games for Chelsea last season. We don't have much depth but then, who does in this league? I'd rather have a strong 11 than an average to poor 22.
Because players get injured or players lose form are the two main reasons.
I grant you that if we are doing the latter then the reasons are usually a settled team as in the Sturrock era.
Even in those days we had players we could bring on that could make a difference. I fear todays bench are nowhere near that standard.
I think we have a good 11 but we do need strengthening.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 9:28 am

gasser9 wrote:
hairy j wrote:
Because players get injured or players lose form are the two main reasons.
I grant you that if we are doing the latter then the reasons are usually a settled team as in the Sturrock era.
Even in those days we had players we could bring on that could make a difference. I fear todays bench are nowhere near that standard.I think we have a good 11 but we do need strengthening.
Exactly- even people like Stonebridge,Evans and Buster Phillips warmed the bench to a reasonable extent in that season.Sturrock also progressively strengthened the squad as the season went on-Marino Keith,Nicky Banger and Jason Bent were all signed well after the season started.As i said earlier,i don't think there will be any permanent signings but wouldn't rule out a loan or two-if Sheridan could get a couple of players of the quality of Banton and Bryan in for season longers,then that would be a major boost.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 10:00 am

Hairy can bang on about quality all you like, we don't even have a strong starting 11, more like six or seven with some plugs in holes, our bench is quite weak and a squad is needed to challenge in any league, also don't forget most of our forwards have injury histories.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 10:03 am

hairy j wrote:
Guy Branston isn't going to play anywhere near 60 games. And he really is our rock at the back - without the stability he brings, the likes of Nelson, Trotman and Maxi look vulnerable.

However there is not much Sheridan can so about our reliance on GB - we have Branston, Trotman, Nelson, Blanchard and Wotton who can play there. It is mental subtleties that prevent the back 4 from working without Branston.

In midfield Hourihane might manage 60 games. But he might do his cruciates. At least Sheridan has form for getting quality replacements in midfield, namely Lee Cox.

Up front Morgan is 30 years old. Reid on his own isnt the most threatening. An addition like Paul Benson would have given us 3 powerful strikers, but instead we have one decent striker, another who is a handful and a kid. So still, totally reliant on Morgan really, otherwise we struggle to score.

The replacements for Boco and Alessandra dont even exist really. Any of them have experience of playing left wing? Gurrieri is by far better in the centre. Luke Young just doesn't pose any threat on the wing.

SO we go back to being totally reliant on half the team - cole and blanchard are the only players we are carrying on the bench who have a bit of presence. The first team picks itself and the alternatives are worryingly weak.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 10:18 am

Would Wooton do a job in defence if GB isn't available once his ribs are mended?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 11:57 am

Wotton ended last season at CB and started this one there when he got his ribs cracked.

Better aerially, positionally, stronger and more solid than all of them with the exception of Branston.

As for the knowledge required to play CB, he has played there in the Championship, and won the Div 2 title and Div 3 title playing at the back, which is more pedigree than all the others put together!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 12:03 pm

'Has anyone taught him how to pass yet ?'.......... Neil Warnock:D
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 2:52 pm

We still need to add a few players to give us strength in depth.

Reading the various reports it sounds to me like we were fortunate to come away from the Rochdale match with a win.

The second half was theirs and if they had been a better side could've easily beat us.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 3:04 pm

Yea Man wrote:
We still need to add a few players to give us strength in depth.

Reading the various reports it sounds to me like we were fortunate to come away from the Rochdale match with a win.

The second half was theirs and if they had been a better side could've easily beat us.
The token Rochdale highlight was the most pathetic highlight ever included in the football league show.

It was a token header glanced from 15 - 18 yards out that went about 10 yards wide.

Perhaps worrying that like Cheltenham, we took our foot completely off the gas in the second half, but in both games the defenders have been efficient and solid. Take away that cruel deflected free kick, and that's two clean sheets from the defenders (with Branston back in it).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 3:06 pm

I say take it away because Morgan conceded that free kick, Luke positioned the wall where he wanted and everyone did their job - it was just a freak deflected goal. You can't blame our defenders for that.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? EmptyTue Aug 27, 2013 5:02 pm

Without Branston our defence is shocking (as the first two league games showed). We need a LB as Blackman can't defend, Nelson can't pass (and isn't suited to being a RB) and Berry is hit and miss at LB (when he should be on the right).

I'm also worried about our midfield. Hourihane is doing ok, but Blizzard does very little (the new Duguid?). Boco and Alessandra are very similar in that both are flashy but are in and out of the game. We could do with a Lee Hodges type wide midfielder who can battle away (a bit like the Rochdale number 7 who was about 6' 2")
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are we going to add to this squad?   Are we going to add to this squad? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are we going to add to this squad?
Page 1 of 1