Mock Cuncher
PatDunne
Tgwu
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Nelson Mandela has died Empty
PostSubject: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 9:51 pm

South Africa's first black president and anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela has died

South Africa's first black president and anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela has died, South Africa's president says.

Mr Mandela, 95, led South Africa's transition from white-minority rule in the 1990s, after 27 years in prison.

He had been receiving intense home-based medical care for a lung infection after three months in hospital.

In a statement on South African national TV, Mr Zuma said Mr Mandela had "departed" and was at peace.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 9:59 pm

He lived until he was 95, changed the lives of millions of his people and was an inspiration for millions and millions all over the World. I hope the news celebrate his life rather than dwell on the cliched sadness aspect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 10:00 pm

One of humanity's greats.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 10:03 pm

He was a true hero without a doubt.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 10:05 pm

The bloke sat behind hairy on saturday will be distraught.
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 10:09 pm

I shan't lower myself in posting anything along the lines as was posted when Mrs Thatcher died,
suffice to say he was no saint.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 10:14 pm

PatDunne wrote:
I shan't lower myself in posting anything along the lines as was posted when Mrs Thatcher died,
suffice to say he was no saint.
Yep. The guy sure was uppity.

What a stupid post.

Thatcher might have changed the lives of millions - Mandela was an icon for billions. He's probably the most important, iconic individual person to have died in my lifetime. He was a hero. I doubt we'll ever see such an important political figure for another 500 years.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 10:23 pm

Yup, can't think of a bigger global figure. Does the Dalai Lama come close?
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 10:24 pm

hairy j wrote:
He lived until he was 95, changed the lives of millions of his people and was an inspiration for millions and millions all over the World. I hope the news celebrate his life rather than dwell on the cliched sadness aspect.
Yes! I can't be bothered with the site of Cameron etc looking somber like its a set peice that exists for him to look serious and like a statesman. Instead it should be celebrated now he is at peace and for what he did. 27 years in prison FFS!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 10:29 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Yup, can't think of a bigger global figure. Does the Dalai Lama come close?
I don't think so. How easy would it have been for Mandella to renounce everything and give up or resort to violence. Ghandhi is probably the last iconic figure to die before Mandella who was as important.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 10:37 pm

hairy j wrote:

How easy would it have been for Mandella to renounce everything and give up or resort to violence. Ghandhi is probably the last iconic figure to die before Mandella who was as important.
Remember watching Panorama/Dispatches or something similar many years ago where they claimed he did indeed resort to violence as a younger man.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 10:44 pm

Resentment is like drinking poison and then hoping it will kill your enemies
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 10:58 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 11:10 pm

We had this discussion on here once before. Absolute fact that Mandella was considered a terrorist by many at the outset and our own Government was one of them. He killed for his cause and was by no means the pacifist he became in the end when he started out. The difference between him a a number of other terrorists is that people came to think his cause was just and worthwhile and therefore the actions he took were ok and acceptable. He most certainly wasn't the statesman he became at the start that's for sure. One indisputable fact is that he will go down in history as a great man who changed a lot of people's opinions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 11:11 pm

Jack Sheppard wrote:
hairy j wrote:

How easy would it have been for Mandella to renounce everything and give up or resort to violence. Ghandhi is probably the last iconic figure to die before Mandella who was as important.
Remember watching Panorama/Dispatches or something similar many years ago where they claimed he did indeed resort to violence as a younger man.  

He did indeed, to bring to the world's attention how badly blacks were being treated in their own country whilst whites were reaping the rewards from a bountiful country.

He went to prison for his beliefs and served 27 years! Even in prison he was able to influence the blacks and inspire them so much that the end of apartheid was inevitable.

What makes him stand out though is how dignified he was once released and how instead of looking for revenge which the whites feared, and so they should have, he made good his promise to treat every South African equally and wipe the slate clean.

It's not perfect there now but a million times better than it was. 

How many people around the world he has inspired to never give up I don't know but it is a vast number, black and white.

For me THE most influential person of the last century.

Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 11:43 pm

hairy j wrote:
I don't think so. How easy would it have been for Mandella to renounce everything and give up or resort to violence.

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
We had this discussion on here once before. Absolute fact that Mandella was considered a terrorist by many at the outset and our own Government was one of them. He killed for his cause and was by no means the pacifist he became in the end when he started out. The difference between him a a number of other terrorists is that people came to think his cause was just and worthwhile and therefore the actions he took were ok and acceptable. He most certainly wasn't the statesman he became at the start that's for sure. One indisputable fact is that he will go down in history as a great man who changed a lot of people's opinions.
Hairy didn't learn anything did he?

Clueless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyThu Dec 05, 2013 11:45 pm

I hope the Mods move your post Mr Rickler. It doesn't belong on this thread.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 12:10 am

Diddums.

I was merely pointing out Hairy doesn't know his history.

You shouldn't confuse  the displaying of two contrasting viewpoints within the same family as being the same as your vulgar 'Westboro" trolling on my Birthday thread last week.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 12:11 am

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it".
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 12:36 am

The Thatcher/Mandela comparison sucks. One created division and the other unity; one sowed discord and the other created harmony; one supported Apartheid and the other defeated it. There is no valid comparison to be had.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 12:44 am

Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 3:37 am

What you think of his actions all depends whether you think the ANC's struggle was a Just War or not.

Was there any other alternative? No, peaceful protests had been tried at met with a violent response from the state.

Was it for a just cause? Yes, undoubtedly.

Did they use disproportionate force? No. They were being attacked by the South African state long before they resorted to those tactics. They were the victims first which is something that isn't stated often enough.

Did innocents die? Yes of course they did but the ANC were the good guys in this. They were defending themselves and a just cause and their actions were the ONLY way to win the war against apartheid. I'd like to see some of the critics think up a better way because they'd all been worn out.

It's like World War Two. Did innocents die as a result of British offensives? Well yeah no shit- but it was the ONLY possible way to win a war that had to be won and there was no alternative too. Ties in nicely with the video to those songs really. Do you think our troops never sung songs about going after the Germans or whatever? I wonder what the reaction would be if they had camera crews hawking them and copying every flippant word they ever said about the enemy?

RIP Nelson Mandela- a hero whose momentous work I can never fully understand being white and from Britain but he was certainly pretty amazing. He knew the value of both forgiveness of evil and the importance of standing up to oppression in every form in which it comes. A truly amazing man.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 5:58 am

I think the whole point of Mandela is that he went from a chap who was a pretty violent type to basically an utter saint - when no-one would have blamed him for becoming 10x more extreme after 27 years rotting in prison.

Without him = South Africa would have become like Zimbabwe on crack.

With him = it is not now a perfect country fore shore, but mantras like 'forgiveness', 'unity' and 'harmony' emerged as key from the background of an uprising in one of the most oppressive states in the 20th century. That is the legacy people celebrate with Mandela and the reason he became iconic for billions.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 6:14 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
I think the whole point of Mandela is that he went from a chap who was a pretty violent type to basically an utter saint - when no-one would have blamed him for becoming 10x more extreme after 27 years rotting in prison.

Without him = South Africa would have become like Zimbabwe on crack.

Yup...

Fur shaw... It says a lot for what a long stretch of 'rehabilitation' will do...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 7:00 am

Rickler wrote:
Diddums.

I was merely pointing out Hairy doesn't know his history.

You shouldn't confuse  the displaying of two contrasting viewpoints within the same family as being the same as your vulgar 'Westboro" trolling on my Birthday thread last week.
He did commit acts of violence prior to being sent to prison however, when he became truly influential, post release, he led a peaceful campaign to end apartheid. It would have been an easy option to resent the white race and to begin a violent coup. Mandela therefore didn't resort to violence. That's why I compared him to Gandhi.
It would be nice if you could read a thread rather than look on the left hand side of the screen at the names of posters.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nelson Mandela has died   Nelson Mandela has died Empty

Back to top Go down

Nelson Mandela has died
Page 1 of 8Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next