Czarcasm
Sir Francis Drake
Greenskin
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 9:01 pm

I think it was said that a portion of any income would go to paying off debt, some would go in running costs and some could be used to strengthen the team come the January window.

My main cup memory was losing away to the then top-flight Sheffield Wednesday in one of the World Cup venues. We got beat and the police were bastards.

Just looked that up - it was in 1968.

Last edited by knecht on Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 9:04 pm

I remember Arsenal in 1987 Rocastle destroying us. Also remember it being Very very packed in could have been dodgy. Youngsters will be amazed at how football supporters were treated back then, like animals you supported a football team and it was assumed you were a thug.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 9:23 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Of course any cup run would be additional income wouldn't it? Money that should in theory be used to strengthen the team?

I think the deal was 50% of it would be used on the team and the rest used to pay the football debt but however it gets used a lucrative cup run is pretty much the only thing that will get us moving upwards as a club. How much did Exeter make from drawing with United and getting a replay at Old Trafford?

There is something magic about the cup still for lower league sides. The chance to play live to a huge audience and against players they usually watch themselves on tv.

Some of my best Argyle memories have been in the FA Cup. The whole run to the semi-final as a 13 yr old was pretty amazing. Massive gates at West Brom, home and away with Derby and the semi-final, but I remember the 4th rd against Darlington and knowing that beating them was almost certainly going to bring a really big club and at the time West Brom were a top team.

34,000+ was the official gate at home to Derby. Not sure if that was accurate as I always remember people saying that Argyle fiddled their crowd figures but it was a massive crowd and as a youngster it was awesome. Far better than games I'd been at Anfield, Wembley and The City Ground Nottingham. It just felt totally different and special.

Home and away against Bristol City under Dave Smith and knowing it was a trip to Arsenal if we beat them in the replay. I sprained my ankle jumping in the Lyndhurst End when we scored in extra-time and the journey home was painful as feck but I was beaming about it being Arsenal away. I had to hobble to a job interview a couple of days later but it was all worth it. Got the job as well Very Happy 

Arsenal was brilliant despite the 6-1 thrashing. The Argyle support was amazing and not like the shit at The Emirates years later. This was 12,000+ standing and outsinging the Gooners fans whilst being stood right next to them in The Clock End.

Man City away was another great trip in a minibus full of beer and two more passengers than was legal. Another huge following which led to Maine Rd having an extra section opened for us. Again stood a few feet away from the home fans and the atmosphere was amazing.

That was another year where we had two relatively easy home draws before getting a decent draw, although we were in the same league as City at the time.

Everton at home when we drew 1-1 was another cracking game that we ought to have won and the 3-1 loss where Chadwick earned himself a transfer to us Razz 

It seemed like in the 80's and 90's we were always in the 3rd round draw but that can't be right, just my age showing and only remembering the good old days, and in fact it only seems like the last 5 or 6 years that we've struggled but again I was at cup games we lost in the early rounds so that's not right.

We'll never have a home game with a gate over 20,000 now at Home Park when it used to be 25,000+ for big cup games and the atmosphere would never be the same again anyway now it's all seater but we've been handed a great chance of getting into the 3rd round again so we shall see if someone can work out how to put the ball into the net to get us there.

I'd love another trip somewhere exotic like Yeovil or another trip to Southampton. Even away to Reading where I've got a 100% win rate would do me, being a glory hunting plastic Very Happy 

It isn't glamorous but ask any Exeter, Swindon or Pompey fan whether they would like a replay home to Lincoln and a home time at Welling if they win?

I was at all the games that you mention,Jock.Brings a nostalgic tear to the eye now,not least because in my case quite a few people who were with me at those matches have now passed away,never to fall in a pool of piss at Highbury or get chased down a sinister Derby street again.Smile Enjoyed the cup run under Holloway as well,if that poxy keeper hadn't pulled off ten miracles we'd have been in another semi final but the game against Derby [them again-i think we turned them over in the cup in the 1960's as well] down here was one of the best in relatively recent times,still got the MOTD DVD of that one-Gallen using the dark arts to get a penalty and getting Moore sent off,great header from Sinclair.For all the denigration of the Hodges era,there was actually quite a decent little cup run in his reign-never forget that screamer from Hargreaves at Reading which gave us a replay.Yet again Derby were involved-they beat us at HP round 4,they had a couple of very classy Italian Serie A players,can't remember their names but they were effing good.All seems like another world now.
Back to top Go down

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
Of course any cup run would be additional income wouldn't it? Money that should in theory be used to strengthen the team?

I think the deal was 50% of it would be used on the team and the rest used to pay the football debt but however it gets used a lucrative cup run is pretty much the only thing that will get us moving upwards as a club. How much did Exeter make from drawing with United and getting a replay at Old Trafford?

There is something magic about the cup still for lower league sides. The chance to play live to a huge audience and against players they usually watch themselves on tv.

Some of my best Argyle memories have been in the FA Cup. The whole run to the semi-final as a 13 yr old was pretty amazing. Massive gates at West Brom, home and away with Derby and the semi-final, but I remember the 4th rd against Darlington and knowing that beating them was almost certainly going to bring a really big club and at the time West Brom were a top team.

34,000+ was the official gate at home to Derby. Not sure if that was accurate as I always remember people saying that Argyle fiddled their crowd figures but it was a massive crowd and as a youngster it was awesome. Far better than games I'd been at Anfield, Wembley and The City Ground Nottingham. It just felt totally different and special.

Home and away against Bristol City under Dave Smith and knowing it was a trip to Arsenal if we beat them in the replay. I sprained my ankle jumping in the Lyndhurst End when we scored in extra-time and the journey home was painful as feck but I was beaming about it being Arsenal away. I had to hobble to a job interview a couple of days later but it was all worth it. Got the job as well Very Happy 

Arsenal was brilliant despite the 6-1 thrashing. The Argyle support was amazing and not like the shit at The Emirates years later. This was 12,000+ standing and outsinging the Gooners fans whilst being stood right next to them in The Clock End.

Man City away was another great trip in a minibus full of beer and two more passengers than was legal. Another huge following which led to Maine Rd having an extra section opened for us. Again stood a few feet away from the home fans and the atmosphere was amazing.

That was another year where we had two relatively easy home draws before getting a decent draw, although we were in the same league as City at the time.

Everton at home when we drew 1-1 was another cracking game that we ought to have won and the 3-1 loss where Chadwick earned himself a transfer to us Razz 

It seemed like in the 80's and 90's we were always in the 3rd round draw but that can't be right, just my age showing and only remembering the good old days, and in fact it only seems like the last 5 or 6 years that we've struggled but again I was at cup games we lost in the early rounds so that's not right.

We'll never have a home game with a gate over 20,000 now at Home Park when it used to be 25,000+ for big cup games and the atmosphere would never be the same again anyway now it's all seater but we've been handed a great chance of getting into the 3rd round again so we shall see if someone can work out how to put the ball into the net to get us there.

I'd love another trip somewhere exotic like Yeovil or another trip to Southampton. Even away to Reading where I've got a 100% win rate would do me, being a glory hunting plastic Very Happy 

It isn't glamorous but ask any Exeter, Swindon or Pompey fan whether they would like a replay home to Lincoln and a home time at Welling if they win?

I was at all the games that you mention,Jock.Brings a nostalgic tear to the eye now,not least because in my case quite a few people who were with me at those matches have now passed away,never to fall in a pool of piss at Highbury or get chased down a sinister Derby street again.Smile Enjoyed the cup run under Holloway as well,if that poxy keeper hadn't pulled off ten miracles we'd have been in another semi final but the game against Derby [them again-i think we turned them over in the cup in the 1960's as well] down here was one of the best in relatively recent times,still got the MOTD DVD of that one-Gallen using the dark arts to get a penalty and getting Moore sent off,great header from Sinclair.For all the denigration of the Hodges era,there was actually quite a decent little cup run in his reign-never forget that screamer from Hargreaves at Reading which gave us a replay.Yet again Derby were involved-they beat us at HP round 4,they had a couple of very classy Italian Serie A players,can't remember their names but they were effing good.All seems like another world now.

Paulo Wanchope ?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 10:05 pm

punchdrunk wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

Paulo Wanchope ?
Just looked it up-one was Eranio;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

the other was in fact an Argentinian,Carbonari,very classy defender;

They also had Dean Sturridge,Bohinen,Carsley,Burton,Laursen and Poom in their team.Too good for us,i'm afraid.
Back to top Go down

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 10:08 pm

punchdrunk wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

Paulo Wanchope ?
Was he the Italian who couldn't manage a whole mixed grill?
Back to top Go down

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 10:08 pm

Preston ripped us apart as well at home under David Moyes. Really good side they had as well, underrated.
Back to top Go down

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 10:09 pm

Preston ripped us apart as well at home under David Moyes. Really good side they had as well, underrated.
Back to top Go down

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 10:17 pm

Loved the away trips to Arsenal and Man City. Funny how so many of the non supporters on here followed Argyle for many miles in decades past when travel wasn't as easy.

For me. Good draw but we've got to beat 2 conference teams at home and the standard is closer than many think.

Will be interesting to see the gate for the Lincoln game bearing in mind it will all be on the night. An interesting barometer. Me I've got a club wembley invite against our Germanic friends Smile
Back to top Go down

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 10:55 pm

I wouldn't mind getting an away draw to someone like Sheffield Wednesday who have a really big ground that would take a few thousand Argyle fans but wouldn't necessarily be a sell out straight away for Argyle season ticket holders.

I'd probably go to that as a glory hunting plastic, or Forest as I've relatives in Nottingham so that would be handy for going on the lash Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 10, 2013 11:31 pm

"We'll never have a home game with a gate over 20,000 now at Home Park..."

Desperately sad, isn't?

This, more than anything else about the HHP plan, really pisses me off. In fact it's a right bastard and no mistake.

And all for no good reason at all.

It's still not too late, Mr Brent... Please ditch your incredibly poor HHP plan and come back with a proper one we can all support.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
pepsipete

pepsipete

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 12:07 am

Perhaps reaching the third round and getting a big home draw is the catalyst required to make him think again. Having said that we will probally lose the Lincoln replay!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 5:17 am

greensleeves wrote:
The FA Cup, for clubs like Argyle,has a certain attraction to it,as outside of the FA Cup, Argyle could only ever dream of playing the top sides.OK its still only a dream, Man United at home,but you dont get many better chances than what we have been given today, being at home to two conference clubs.We'll now see how good a manager Sheridan is, if he can get the club through to the 3rd round.
Hull, Swansea, Cardiff etc etc etc used to dream of playing the top sides too Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 7:36 am

Greenjock wrote:
Iggy wrote:
Welling garden city?

No that's Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire, Welling's in saaaf Lundan.

Still beat two non league teams at home to get in the REAL FA Cup draw.

Last game before Argyle.....1-0 win over LINCOLN........five places above Lincoln in 8th place in the Conference Premier.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 7:36 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
"We'll never have a home game with a gate over 20,000 now at Home Park..."

Desperately sad, isn't?

This, more than anything else about the HHP plan, really pisses me off. In fact it's a right bastard and no mistake.

And all for no good reason at all.

It's still not too late, Mr Brent... Please ditch your incredibly poor HHP plan and come back with a proper one we can all support.
Many of the "just get it built" and "it's better than what's there now" brigade will be horrified when they see how small the ministand is and how shit it looks with that pathetic 'upper tier' when it nears completion

Back to top Go down

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 10:02 am

Pokesdown wrote:
Loved the away trips to Arsenal and Man City. Funny how so many of the non supporters on here followed Argyle for many miles in decades past when travel wasn't as easy.

For me. Good draw but we've got to beat 2 conference teams at home and the standard is closer than many think.

Will be interesting to see the gate for the Lincoln game bearing in mind it will all be on the night. An interesting barometer. Me I've got a club wembley invite against our Germanic friends Smile
How could they be NON supporters having followed Argyle so far, has it crossed your mind that principles together with the football being too expensive is what is keeping people away?
Back to top Go down

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 11:23 am

Iggy wrote:
Pokesdown wrote:

How could they be NON supporters having followed Argyle so far, has it crossed your mind that principles together with the football being too expensive is what is keeping people away?
Pokesdown's being sarcastic.

I'm pretty sure we've all watched Argyle home and away during real shit times like Newell and his sheep do now, only in the past when I was doing it I always had hope. That's sadly lacking for me now.

I suppose I could make the odd sacrifice and go to a home game every now and again living where I am. It would cost me around £80 or so to watch a goalless draw with Accrington Stanley and I would have to put on a pretty good act when the missus asks "Did you have a good time?".

Newell and Webb's mantra these days is that when the good times arrive it will be so much sweeter for them because their such great fans at the moment. Poking an accusing finger at the likes of ATD posters who don't attend games, and I know there are quite a few who do attend, blaming us for being in the position we are now.

Shame these two cnuts don't use the bit of influence they have with the current regime to explain how the fans feel instead of nodding and telling James everything is rosy and how grateful everyone is to him for stripping every bit of pride and hope from the club he is using to feather his pension nest.
Back to top Go down

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 11:34 am

Sorry Iggy, yes being sarcastic.

This site is always accused of harbouring people who don't attend, would rather see us lose, not real supporters etc. Yet whenever anyone seems to mention a game from yesteryear a great deal of those same people have memories that they share.

Many posters here have done their time and for many that commitment is no longer in person, for me two young children makes it virtually impossible for to get to anything but the odd game each season.

It is precisely because people do care that they spend their time sharing their views on Argyle. Being a supporter, whether at the ground or at home, should not mean that plans such as those for the grandstand go unquestioned.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 12:50 pm

Hard to get excited about playing these Micky mouse teams in the FA cup 1st round, oh wait a minute just remembered, Micky is currently living up at fortress H.P.Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 6:24 pm

Will now be played on the Wednesday

Two matches playing on the Wednesday

19:45 12R Gateshead VS Oxford United
19:45 33R Plymouth Argyle VS Lincoln City

Wed 20th Nov TBC FA Cup 1st Round Replay 19:45 BT Sport 2 / BT Sport 2 HD

Thu 21st Nov TBC FA Cup 1st Round Replay 19:45 BT Sport 2 / BT Sport 2 HD
Back to top Go down

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 6:44 pm

That's good news, avoiding the England v Germany game will undoubtedly add to the attendance and at £15 for a ticket i reckon i might well drag myself up there for the second time this season.............if i'm not careful i'll soon be a praaaaaaaaaaaper faaaan. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 7:09 pm

Jack Sheppard wrote:
That's good news, avoiding the England v Germany game will undoubtedly add to the attendance and at £15 for a ticket i reckon i might well drag myself up there for the second time this season.............if i'm not careful i'll soon be a praaaaaaaaaaaper faaaan.  Very Happy 
It is good news they saw sense and switced the game to another date.....still wont encourage many (myself included) to go though.
Back to top Go down

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 7:15 pm

Angry wrote:
Jack Sheppard wrote:
That's good news, avoiding the England v Germany game will undoubtedly add to the attendance and at £15 for a ticket i reckon i might well drag myself up there for the second time this season.............if i'm not careful i'll soon be a praaaaaaaaaaaper faaaan.  Very Happy 
It is good news they saw sense and switced the game to another date.....still wont encourage many (myself included) to go though.

No chance of you going on a Wednesday night, Poirot's on the telly. cheers 
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 11, 2013 7:22 pm

paint a wall and watch it dry there'll be more entertainment that's for sure.

brent out.

Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 12:31 pm

Goal machine Chadwick will show off his goals scoring skill on live TV

ITV have confirmed their live broadcast tie for The FA Cup with Budweiser Second Round in December

Tamworth v Bristol City is the first fixture from the Second Round to be selected for live television with ITV broadcasting from The Lamb Ground on Sunday 8 December at 2pm. Both sides will receive £72,000 from the FA in broadcast fees

I will be home watching the mighty Gateshead replay then the rubbish at Home Park (baby sitting)

BT Sport will head to the North-East for their replay on Wednesday 20 November at Gateshead v Oxford United.The replay will earn both teams £33,750 from the FA broadcast fees
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cup draw - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cup draw   Cup draw - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Cup draw
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next