Czarcasm
Mock Cuncher
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Peggy

Peggy

Co-Op Report - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 1:22 pm

On reflection, I think we had to call the shop 'Mrs Occleshaw's' because it would have been rude to use the surname alone - especially as my mum probably knew her.

I thought the same about the pub, Czar. If it says St Budeaux Inn, which I think it does, then that is the Blue Monkey ... I think.

So is our resident jumper-wearing French jazz bon viveur exposing his past as a Budo Bey?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 1:24 pm

OK, last one before I go off to collapse again (I'm proper poorly).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Where is this and what is the shop in the front now?

(Maybe we ought to have a name this place thread?)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Nah, West Park for me.

I do have a St Budeaux story or two ...... but another time.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 1:29 pm

Well. I think that looks like Ebrington St and the shop is now Goulds. But I'm far from convinced of that.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 1:36 pm

I thought it was goulds too.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 1:38 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
I went to Fiesta as a kid but it was for roller skating (powerhouse side, ritzy was for ice skating on a shiney floor- no fake ice shit). When I was 16 it had become a nightclub and was used as czarcky describes.

I remember Gateway on mutley plain and down broadway but not the other shops mentioned. Peverell Kwop (Outland road end) is a lot bigger than when I was a kid, and farley's rusks is now morrisons. I used to mainly shop at Pinwells (my Dad would have 2 quarters of sweets- usually bon bons and chocolate limes- every sunday) when I was a kid though and reached a life long dream of being a paperboy for said shop as a teenager.
Two sweet shops are permanently engrained in my mind from when I was a nipper. Isabelles on the corner in Crownhill village (four doors up from the Kwop, just to keep this remotely on topic) and a little shop that I think may now be a hairdressers a couple doors up from The Abbey pub (which is now Kitty's) next to the Magistrates Court in town.

2 ounces of lemon bonbons was my usual. Or a quarter if I was particularly flush.

Edit: I'd say Goulds too judging from the shop front.

Last edited by Czarcasm on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 1:38 pm

You're clearly a very educated wanker, Chem sunny 
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 2:27 pm

Its defo Goulds in Ebrington street.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 2:36 pm

I'm now convinced it's Goulds. If the goat said so, it must be true Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 2:40 pm

I cheated though! Very Happy 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Good job you did, though, oh goaty one - else we'd be stuck here waiting for Knecht to dish out the house points til past my bedtime.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 6:15 pm

Here to help when possible Peggy!

Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 6:20 pm

A n y w a y ...

Quarters of sweets. When I was old enough to get a whole shilling pocket money, I used to spend it on going to the Saturday morning pictures at the State, getting sweets in the corner shop (I don't know what it was called, but it was round the corner from our house so it was called the corner shop, OK?) on the way there. If I got the rock pieces instead of proper sweets, I had a penny (as well as at least half a bag of sweets) to last the rest of the week. Sometimes, though, I'd be reckless, get the chocolate bon-bons and have nothing bar at least half a bag of sweets to get through the next seven days.

There's a stall in the mall that claims to sell proper sweets like that. I bought some barley sugar from there and it was rubbish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 6:27 pm

OK .... where was this photo taken? If you get this right you deserve at least two house-points. But you'll have to give them to yourself - I'm off to fix something to eat.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 6:29 pm

The best thing about going to the State was being given enough money fro the bus-fare & to get in but spending the bus-fare home on chips from the van outside.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 6:44 pm

knecht wrote:
OK .... where was this photo taken? If you get this right you deserve at least two house-points. But you'll have to give them to yourself - I'm off to fix something to eat.

Right. It's in a school playground which is on a slope. It's not my old school because there aren't enough buildings around the playground. It's not Victoria Road school because the playground there isn't slopey and anyway nobody from West Park would have gone there, would they. I reckon it's King's Tamerton school playground.

Alternatively, it's not on a slope and that's just the photographer's wonky aim. In which case I haven't got a scooby. Edit: But it is definitely a picture of the Plymouth Devils, and it was definitely taken in Budo.

(You know those amazing people who analysed photos in the war and spotted the preparations for the Nazi's big rockets? I like to think I could have been good at that.)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 8:11 pm

Tis indeed the Plymouth Devils.... opens mouth in amazement & admiration. What a Face 

The web-site I got it from said it had been taken on their track next to The State in Budo. Before even my time!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 8:20 pm

A subject I find fascinating. Here's a very good Facebook page on the very subject.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 8:25 pm

Knecht: go back to your original post of that photo. Click 'quote'. Now cast your eyes over what comes up in the reply box.

Here to help Cool 
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 8:32 pm

lulz for pegz.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Peggy wrote:
Knecht: go back to your original post of that photo. Click 'quote'. Now cast your eyes over what comes up in the reply box.

Here to help Cool 
Educated wanker! Knecht was everso impressed though lol! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 8:44 pm

Peggy wrote:

Here to help Cool 
.... and your point is? I already opened my mouth in admiration that you recognised the Plymouth Devils. And you did say it might have been Budo but you weren't precise enough to get next to The State. So only one house-point I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 9:20 pm

Erm ... I didn't recognise them until I saw it written down in the box thing ...

I think that photo might have been taken on what became the site of the health clinic where I had my childhood injections. And where I had to go to get my verrucas done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 9:40 pm

Embarassed 

I've looked again. I didn't see what you meant before!

Back to the drawing board......
Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 06, 2013 11:08 pm

What a great thread.

Last weekend I took the little one to a fest of sorts. There was an English stall there selling sweets.

Sherbert Lemons (took me back)!!!!!

Needless to say, I bought some for her. She loved them! Pity that the stall is no longer there!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Co-Op Report   Co-Op Report - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Co-Op Report
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next