Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptyThu Aug 22, 2013 8:38 pm

If you had, like, not much more than £300 to spend and wanted to purchase a laptop basically solely for noshing, writing poetry and play Rome Total WOR 2...what wud u buy?

I'm decent with easily quantifiable things like RAM and HDD, but things like Processors/Graphics, me no know.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 7:42 am

I only just saw this, sorry chap.

There's a bit of a myth that because a game looks simple and doesn't have 3D graphics, a 60fps framerate, massive draw distances and 5.1 dolby sound etc. etc. (something like Skyrim or Crysis), it will run on a lower end pc. Minecraft for example looks quite simple but it needs a decent spec pc to make it run smoothly.

£300 on a desktop would be a better option for gaming however, you want a laptop.

Looking at the system requirements on games takes me back. I stopped pc gaming about eight years ago as it was like being a part of an arms race. To give you an idea, the last desktop pc I bought for gaming (this was non-hd) cost £750 and it came with nothing but the base unit.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Here's your requirements.

You're looking at £700 for an entry level 'gaming pc' that's a laptop. £1,000 minimum if you want to actually play on decent settings. £2,000 for a top end 'experience'.

I wish I could just post a link but gaming on a laptop, unless you have a lot of cash to splurge that will future proof you, is a very bad idea. A desktop, you can upgrade quite easily but not a laptop. The only thing I can suggest is to look at second hand but second hand laptops are a minefield.

I've asked the same question on myngaming forum as there's people with way more experience and up to date knowledge. I switched to console gaming as it's a lot cheaper. I'll post again if I get a response from my forum.
Back to top Go down

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 7:58 am

I've had a response already - it's a really busy forum

" Try the Laptop trading forums on avforums. You might be able to get a reasonable class of gaming laptop (2010) vintage for around that."
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 8:27 am

The thing is, I only want it for that one game, and the difference to me in playing it on a medium spec or a high spec is minimal. I'd maybe play Football Manager too, but having weened myself of it I'm not sure my time allows that (more to the point, I don't want to be sat in my pants at 5am thinking it is still about midnight, needing to be up for work 2 hours later. Plus I had a habit of punching the screen when I concede goals). If I lived in a bigger flat then I'd lean towards a desktop, but living in a cardboard box under a bus-stop means there probably isn't the room for it.

I'll have a look on those forums, though.
Back to top Go down

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:56 am

Rome total war out yet? 
Im a bit of a demon on Napoleon Total War, not really a gaming enthusiast but the total war series and football manager are the only 2 i really go with these days.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 10:09 am

It's out at the start of September.

Didn't have you down for a gamer, Punchers. Think we've got similar tastes on them, tho.
Back to top Go down

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 11:59 am

punchdrunk wrote:
Rome total war out yet? 
Im a bit of a demon on Napoleon Total War, not really a gaming enthusiast but the total war series and football manager are the only 2 i really go with these days.
If you like RTS titles (goes for punchie and munchie) take a look at the ios and google play stores. For the extra you'll spend on something like an ipad 2 or a nexus tablet, you'll save on games.

Another post.

[quote name="petrichor" post="9440419" timestamp="1377334465"]For example:

The 310M isn't going to blow anybody's socks off, but it should cope with Total War 2 (not much else mind)

This is slightly better (and cheaper): http://www.avforums.com/forums/desktop-laptop-classified-adverts/1804973-sale-acer-travelmate-tm8371g-laptop-still-has-about-3-months-warranty.html

That said, I'd hang about and wait for a Dell XPS, probably with a 510m in it.[/quote]
Back to top Go down

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 12:07 pm

Hairy, I've got an iPhone 4S and a 5 from work. I also have a HP lap top with reasonable spec. Would it be worth getting a tablet I'd only really use it for watching telly or funny cats on you tube?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 1:51 pm

If you can stretch to about £450 (basically enough to get a lappy with a dedicated graphics card) you'll be able to play almost anything on fairly medium settings.

Back to top Go down

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:11 pm

I've got quite an old lappy, don't know what make but it has ZX64 on the side, would that be any good for COD?
Back to top Go down

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:15 pm

Iggy wrote:
I've got quite an old lappy, don't know what make but it has ZX64 on the side, would that be any good for COD?
I should put it in the loft Iggy. In a few years time your grandchildren could live a life of luxury from the price it would fetch at auction.
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:44 pm

ps4 or the new x box ?
Back to top Go down

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 10:37 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
If you can stretch to about £450 (basically enough to get a lappy with a dedicated graphics card) you'll be able to play almost anything on fairly medium settings.

Erm... it really won't. £400? Most decent graphics cards will set you back £300 alone.

Dane. wrote:
ps4 or the new x box ?
feck off.
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 10:52 pm

hairy thats not very nice ?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 11:08 pm

hairy j wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

Erm... it really won't. £400? Most decent graphics cards will set you back £300 alone.

Dane. wrote:
ps4 or the new x box ?
feck off.
It actually will. I bought one for not much more than that, less than £500 I think, and played Farcry3 and Battlefield 3 ( both to a successful conclusion) without any jerky glitchy shit going on all the time.

That's why I mentioned £450 (not £400). I'm no hardcore gamer, and I'm guessing Mocko would be even less so. So a reasonable frame rate that isn't super-galactic isn't going to signify the end of the world.

So there.

EDIT: I thought this thread had a bit of Groundhog Day about it. It was £549 I paid. Just found this old thread....

Back to top Go down

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 7:19 am

Fair enough czarcasm but I would want to play at optimal settings on a bigger screen.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 7:57 am

All over the top of my head this geeky stuff!
There again most things go over my head, me being a goat!Very Happy 

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 8:02 am

Hugh Watt wrote:
Hairy, I've got an iPhone 4S and a 5 from work. I also have a HP lap top with reasonable spec. Would it be worth getting a tablet I'd only really use it for watching telly or funny cats on you tube?
An ipad2 would be your best bet if you already have an iphone but just for browsing and media, look at a lower end 10" android tablet. Archos do some decent models and Arnova are also pretty decent. Thekindle fire hd is the best android tablet for spec/cash. I have a 10" tablet and it's a bit big for going mobile.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 8:51 am

I wish people on this thread would speak in English, am I to believe that the carrier pigeon has been replaced.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 9:10 am

hairy j wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:
An ipad2 would be your best bet if you already have an iphone but just for browsing and media, look at a lower end 10" android tablet. Archos do some decent models and Arnova are also pretty decent. Thekindle fire hd is the best android tablet for spec/cash. I have a 10" tablet and it's a bit big for going mobile.
Does it take a lot of water to swallow that? Surprised 

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 9:10 am

pepsipete wrote:
I wish people on this thread would speak in English,  am I to believe that the carrier pigeon has been replaced.

What no servant running with cleft stick message......what's the world coming to.
Back to top Go down

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 9:31 am

I have an iPad 2 which I use all the time, I don't do gaming on it though, hope this helps.
Back to top Go down

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 9:38 am

Not really Iggy.

I've been linked to this.
Apparently, the i3 processor will run Rome Total War 2.

Job done. If you have £200 more, go fo an i5 processor and you can play maxed settings Skyrim.

Back to top Go down

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 1:03 pm

Get a fecking life you lot of sad tw@ts. Go out and see the world and stop talking like Daleks. Hairy, get up the park with the kids, the sun is out. Mouldy, be like me and don't even bother to try and learn any of it
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 1:12 pm

I spent most of my ringfenced dollar on cider at a festival yday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hairy J Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hairy J   Hairy J Empty

Back to top Go down

Hairy J
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next