Czarcasm
Rickler
GreenWhiteBlack
Freathy
Frankie_Fredericks
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this   Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 3:16 pm

knecht wrote:
Yep - Shaky Bridge for us also. We were on it once coming from Ernesettle and the railway police came along. They took our names & addresses. Nothing followed from that except we were all frightened about what our parents would say. Not sure but I think we were about 9 yrs old at the time...... and that's over 50 years ago Crying or Very sad 

Us Ernesettle young uns use to call it Black bridge. I'm sure shakey brridge is the one at Camels Head! The other bridge over the Tavy was called 17 arches - though I'm pretty sure there was never actually 17 arches!

Casting my mind back all them years - I actually remember swimming in Ernesettle creek! How we didn't get Typhoid or some other nasty shit still amazes me!
Back to top Go down
mannameadbabe

mannameadbabe

Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this   Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 3:54 pm

knecht wrote:
Ernesettle woods & Whitleigh woods were our playground from our posh area of West Park. And if you were brave you used to walk bent double through the tunnel under Budshead Road to get from one to the other.

I went back to visit Ernie woods a few years ago and was disappointed to see that they've made it much much smaller.

And as for the fort at Ernesettle - we found a couple of ways into it. Both of them a real scramble through narrow man-hole cover & a window (I think).

They've probably got computer programs of it nowadays. Smile 

My sister and I were with a bunch of mates and we got into that fort - I wanted a pee and as I sat on the bog it collapsed! Shame about Ernesettle woods - mind you I'm surprised we didn't burn it down with all the fires we lit there.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this   Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 4:07 pm

Person Of Interest wrote:
knecht wrote:
Yep - Shaky Bridge for us also. We were on it once coming from Ernesettle and the railway police came along. They took our names & addresses. Nothing followed from that except we were all frightened about what our parents would say. Not sure but I think we were about 9 yrs old at the time...... and that's over 50 years ago Crying or Very sad 

Us Ernesettle young uns use to call it Black bridge. I'm sure shakey brridge is the one at Camels Head! The other bridge over the Tavy was called 17 arches - though I'm pretty sure there was never actually 17 arches!

Casting my mind back all them years - I actually remember swimming in Ernesettle creek! How we didn't get Typhoid or some other nasty shit still amazes me!

Some people do call the Tavy bridge seventeen arches.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this   Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 4:08 pm

And another place where we hung out was Blackstone Key by the lime kilns opposite Bere Ferrers.
Back to top Go down
mannameadbabe

mannameadbabe

PostSubject: Re: Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this   Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 4:19 pm

Person Of Interest wrote:
knecht wrote:

Oh me too - swimming off that 'beach' down the bottom of lakeside drive - we used to make a right old day of it - picnic and all.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this   Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 4:44 pm

Ok chaps looks like the real name is Tavy Bridge at Warliegh but look at the last pic here and I count 17 arches - we was just whipper snappers so can see how we was confused!! Very Happy 
I love this thread - makes me want to jump in the car and drive 100miles to see the bugger again!!
http://www2.plymouth.ac.uk/science/tamarfieldsites/warleighpoint_photographs.htm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this   Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 5:27 pm

mannameadbabe wrote:
knecht wrote:
Ernesettle woods & Whitleigh woods were our playground from our posh area of West Park. And if you were brave you used to walk bent double through the tunnel under Budshead Road to get from one to the other.

I went back to visit Ernie woods a few years ago and was disappointed to see that they've made it much much smaller.

And as for the fort at Ernesettle - we found a couple of ways into it. Both of them a real scramble through narrow man-hole cover & a window (I think).

They've probably got computer programs of it nowadays. Smile 

My sister and I were with a bunch of mates and we got into that fort - I wanted a pee and as I sat on the bog it collapsed!  Shame about Ernesettle woods - mind you I'm surprised we didn't burn it down with all the fires we lit there.....

.... or I may have been mistaken & it was me that had got bigger.... Smile 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this   Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 5:52 pm

Well; if I never post anything else on ATD; I'm glad I introduced Tamerton Foliot into the discussion...nostalgia ain't what it used to be...but it will be tomorrow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this   Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 04, 2013 11:35 am

Any of you Tamerton people know of a family of 'Morgans' who lived there?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this   Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ocean City, Jewell of the West..I wonder what Newell's going to make of this
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3