Mock Cuncher
Chemical Ali
Freathy
Czarcasm
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

The silent majority..... Empty
PostSubject: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 1:10 am

Do they really exist? Looking through the objections it is obvious to anybody but the seriously deluded that the planning letters have been overwhelmingly in objection to Brent's plans;
Obviously there are reasons for this, I would have thought that the obvious ones are that fans of the club and the residents of Plymouth don't want this scheme, although thhere will always be an alternative point of view.

Pafcintheplace wrote:
Or public consultation is the acid test, and shows the silent majority in favour theory to be a myth... users on twitter and pasoti appealing to people to submit their views, Chris Webb in the paper attempting to rally support etc. The silent majority do seem rather apathetic considering how pro the development they allegedly all are.

Posty says,
Or the people of Plymouth realise what a great boost this development will bring to their city and expect it to go through the planning stage with no problem and therefore didn't bother writing to the planning committee.

Head mod and owner of the forum says in reply to someone saying he was surprised how many letters of objection there were,

I'm not, reading the letters you can see some locals have some concerns about the traffic and noise etc. I think most people would have similar concerns if they lived near a quiet and deserted (for certain was of the day)

What is amusing though is people that have no intention of ever attending Home Park, that live abroad and still see the need to object, now that is very sad!

It's funny that the foreigner myth is still being perpetuated by Napolean, I thought that nearly all the objections were from Peverell and Stoke and if the FOCP had managed to get leaflets out city wide the number of objections would have been far higher, also the spin from the farm have probably resulted in a lot of farm posters not bothering to object as they believe in the silent majority myth! Come on Naps and Postal pilot, no one believes you, you tried and failed.cheers #epicfail #influencewaning #lmfao
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 1:35 am

It's funny that Newell thinks I shouldn't get a say but people in Wales can have theirs. Even funnier when one letter from a fan in Pontypool is objecting to the plans.

They're trying anything to sound confident, like a political party who've been told that the polls have them losing by miles yet they refuse to take any notice of opinion poll's, it sounds stupid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 2:37 am

The silent majority is a lie that some mods on there use to give their views some validation. Since when has living outside Plymouth mean you cant have a say in club matters?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 3:15 am

The funny thing is the only letter of support i've seen from a "name" at home park is from Pete Desborough and he doesn't even live in Plymouth according to his letter!

So it's ok for someone who doesn't live in the area to support the plans, but somebody who doesn't live in the area can't object to them?

Newell is comedy gold.

And where is your letter of support Newell? Feckin apathetic janner.

lol! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 3:26 am

It doesn't matter about the volumes of support or the volumes of objections. It isn't the X-Factor. Unfortunately, the pasoti Yes Boys seem to believe it's a vote situation. It isn't.

I kept my eye on it for a while and hadn't seen Newell's name on anything pro or anti. Given Yea Man's post, he's not submitted anything. Is that so, if/when it's rejected, he can state he had "reservations"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 3:52 am

I'm surprised a user called Silent Majority hasn't appeared yet...

I personally don't believe the number of opinions either way is the key factor, rather it's whether there are valid objections that need to be addressed or that require the plans to be revised. But that's just my assumption.

Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 4:04 am

A simplistic take, but the general rule for planning is for Mr X to say "this is what I'd like to build."
Then it gets thrown open and the basic question for neighbours/the public at large is to ask "can you give us valid reasons why MrX shouldn't be allowed to build what he is planning."

The key to the whole thing being passed or tossed aside is in the validity of the objections.

As for Newell, he's done enough cheer leading for Brent to not be able to play the reservations card.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 4:14 am

Czarcasm wrote:

As for Newell, he's done enough cheer leading for Brent to not be able to play the reservations card.

Watch this (or rather that) space should the proposals be sent back for revision.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 4:46 am

knecht wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

Watch this (or rather that) space should the proposals be sent back for revision.

Oh I don't doubt he'd be likely to try it. My point was, when you are all over Pasoti encouraging everyone to put in their supportive comments, you look a tw@t when you then say you had reservations, if it's thrown out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 4:50 am

It'll happen though - it's what he does best. It isn't anything at all related but I had a frank exchange with him about the gypsy chants that he claimed weren't at all discriminatory - as soon as Webb was backing an anti-racism campaign, the tune changed completely and he suddenly thought those chants were bad.

If it does get passed, it'll be a single handed victory for the power of the social media king.

It's a bit odd neither Webb or Newell put anything forward through the official channels though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 5:14 am

hairy j wrote:
It'll happen though - it's what he does best. It isn't anything at all related but I had a frank exchange with him about the gypsy chants that he claimed weren't at all discriminatory - as soon as Webb was backing an anti-racism campaign, the tune changed completely and he suddenly thought those chants were bad.

If it does get passed, it'll be a single handed victory for the power of the social media king.

It's a bit odd neither Webb or Newell put anything forward through the official channels though.

Unless they have, but under a different name.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 6:06 am

Yea Man wrote:
hairy j wrote:

Unless they have, but under a different name.

Foreshore.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 6:15 am

You can be sure that if the majority of letters were in favour of the 'development', the brent lovers wouldn't accept the silent majority were against.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 6:40 am

Greenjock wrote:
It's funny that Newell thinks I shouldn't get a say but people in Wales can have theirs. Even funnier when one letter from a fan in Pontypool is objecting to the plans.

They're trying anything to sound confident, like a political party who've been told that the polls have them losing by miles yet they refuse to take any notice of opinion poll's, it sounds stupid

The objection email wasn't even from Ponty- it was from one of Newell's under managers who has lived his life in Wales and supports Cardiff City- he's only visited Central Park when Cardiff have played there!

For Newell to criticise foreign argyle fans objecting, yet one of his undermanagers with no connection to the city supporting the project, is sheer hypocrisy.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 7:08 am

I think the silent majority may well think "Yah, Argo fore shore, new grandstand, Yay!", but what it highlights is that they are not looking into the project with very much critical thought or real botheredness about the details - in fact I read just one letter 'pro' which was anything but "Yay it looks supa cool", yet there were at least a dozen well written, thought through replies which highlighted several key negatives about the plans.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 7:09 am

Looking at most of the "it's great innit" support entries today pretty evident the tw@ttersphere has been busy last 24 hours.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 7:21 am

It seems that 90% of Peverell, Beacon Park/ Milehouse residents have OBJECTED to the plans;

Pasoti's Mod who lives in Canada supported the plans- is he in the same class as the foreign objectors who "have no intention of ever attending Home Park, that live abroad and still see the need to object, now that is very sad!"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 7:55 am

Strikes me the "silent majority" argument is used by both sides in every dispute. The very fact that the majority say nothing at all allows that. It's only in a voting situation where a majority wins and enough of the silent majority bother to cast a vote that it is truely known what they think.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 8:11 am

That's what I was trying to get at Senso.

The majority just don't care enough to contribute either way. They might be pro, they might be neg, but in reality they probably haven't read the plans well enough to inform their opinions.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 8:19 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
That's what I was trying to get at Senso.

The majority just don't care enough to contribute either way. They might be pro, they might be neg, but in reality they probably haven't read the plans well enough to inform their opinions.

A majority of Plymouth would be something like 125.000......I suggest that 230.000 Plymouthonians couldn't care two hoots about the HHP development.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 8:40 am

I've said this before but I genuinely believe that the vast majority of this City don't care one way or another. That isn't an argument for or against the development in any way. We like to think Residents give a stuff but in reality it is mainly those with a direct stake in whatever is being proposed. That is directly involved as in this case Supporters or very local residents. There are always the odd few from elsewhere who are community minded but they are exactly that, few. In the case of the Supporters part of this I have my doubts that loads and loads care enough to voice anything for or against. The abstainers will only wake up and complain when it is too late and they find in time to come that the size of the capacity really did matter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 8:50 am

I don't think that anybody would argue against that Sensi, more or less the point I was trying to make myself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 8:28 pm

Comical Ali said on Tues. June 18th,

Lee Jameson wrote:
Can't wait to see the committee report, the report will inform you of how many objections and the number of correspondents in favour of the proposals.

Lee, as of yesterday the PCC website had 69% in favour of the development and 31% against.

So two weeks ago it was the vocal majority and most important.

Yet now it seems they can't be bothered.

Pafcintheplace wrote:
Just had a look at the planning portal, gota say I'm really surprised by the amount of people objecting

Comical Ali wrote,
I would imagine the silent majority in favour of the development and the football club receiving a new grandstand would not bother sending in letters of approval, as usual it seems the noisy few are the ones that get noticed.

Noisy few, good one Commie,,,, I wish I'd thought of that, calling the clear majority a few?
#mustchangeunderpants #jameswontbehappy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 10:18 pm

But how many of those that are for the development will actually use the cinema, hotel, ice rink or retail units?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Did find this amongst the comments
How ironic that he still bangs the drum about hiding behind a keyboard
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 10:24 pm

I am sure that most people who are in elected positions rely upon the silent majority NOT to vote. The activists of which they are one will then determine how things go. I'm sure that applies to union reps (of which I was one in the past) as well. That's how things are.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The silent majority.....   The silent majority..... Empty

Back to top Go down

The silent majority.....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next