Elias
pepsipete
mouldyoldgoat
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 12:56 pm

I was a very good young tennis player, my sister was also, we had coaching at a club in Barnstaple which was great, when we moved back to Plymouth the coaching was ok but not as good, we joined Mannamead tennis club, we would go to coaching sessions then get ushered off the courts whilst the members of the club would piss about thinking they were great, I got dissillusioned and dropped out my sister stuck with it but was definitely held back by the lack of facilities on offer in Plymouth. To give you a measure of how good she was she coached at (I think it was Queens club in New York) where Becker and Macenroe were the pro coaches at the time, McEnroe said that she had the hardest backhand of any woman he had met, yet in Plymouth she struggled to get on courts to practice. You can hire courts whenever you like but unless you have wealthy parents you just can't afford it, just joining a tennis club costs a lot to start with.
Back to top Go down
Damon.Lenszner

Damon.Lenszner

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 3:55 pm

Djokovic v del Potro is shaping up to be a classic..
Back to top Go down
Damon.Lenszner

Damon.Lenszner

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 5:10 pm

wow...just gone to 2 sets all...The Ice Man v The Ultimate warrior - del Potro just never admits defeat - this match is going to be right up there with the all time greats.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 9:52 pm

Murray wins in 4 sets.Can he beat Djokovic? Should be an intriguing match whatever,Djokovic slightly better player IMHO but Murray has other things going for him,including a crowd who seem to be backing him more and more.Very interesting scenario,may give it full attention on Sunday.
Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 10:47 pm

Djokovic is so good that Murray will need to take every chance, and half chance he gets. Djokovic will never give up and he is mega fit so today's game won't have any affect on him come Sunday.

I reckon Del Potro would've beaten any other in the world today he played that well but Djokovic just keeps going and it's that extra one percent that makes him a step up from great.

I think Murray can beat him but it needs to be the best tennis he's ever played and for almost certainly 5 sets in blistering heat.

The crowd will help Murray and Murray's now been in the last 4 grand slam finals in the tournaments he's taken part in so he's there on merit.

I'd love Murray to win Wimbledon just once even but I have a horrible feeling that Djokovic is just too strong for him and will cope with the conditions that bit better.

I hope I'm wrong.
Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 10:56 pm

Good time to go to the beach then, plenty of space if everyone else is inside.

The only sport that isn't really elitist is football although in all of them your parents need a degree of money even if it's just ferrying about Iggy. There is so much talent about in all kinds of sports if only it didn't rely on background and cash. Other countries pick up potential and nurture it but this one still doesn't do that yet. "Ordinary" schools don't even play half the sports or have the facilities and if you look at the backgrounds of a lot of the top players or internationals it doesn't come from the local council estate. Rugby, hockey, tennis, athletics are but a few.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 11:01 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Good time to go to the beach then, plenty of space if everyone else is inside.

The only sport that isn't really elitist is football although in all of them your parents need a degree of money even if it's just ferrying about Iggy.    There is so much talent about in all kinds of sports if only it didn't rely on background and cash.    Other countries pick up potential and nurture it but this one still doesn't do that yet.     "Ordinary" schools don't even play half the sports or have the facilities and if you look at the backgrounds of a lot of the top players or internationals it doesn't come from the local council estate.    Rugby, hockey, tennis, athletics are but a few.      

Which is why Britain did so poorly in the Olympics, eh Sensy?

You do talk absolute crap.
Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 11:14 pm

And the background of most of them were? If you don't think it's about where and how you grew up then you are deluded. Occasionally someone comes out of the council estate but it is only that, occasionally.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 11:28 pm

Try again Sensy...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Murray wins in 4 sets.Can he beat Djokovic? Should be an intriguing match whatever,Djokovic slightly better player IMHO but Murray has other things going for him,including a crowd who seem to be backing him more and more.Very interesting scenario,may give it full attention on Sunday.

And McEnroe gives Murray the edge by 5 - 10% based upon the home crowd.
Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 11:36 pm

You don't have to go to a private school to be comfortably off. Show me how many came from council estate backgrounds. That article proves nothing at all. You have to have money in the first place to pay for equipment and travel. If you can afford neither then you are fecked from the start. My belief and I still stand by that statement.
Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 05, 2013 11:42 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
You don't have to go to a private school to be comfortably off.    Show me how many came from council estate backgrounds.    That article proves nothing at all.    You have to have money in the first place to pay for equipment and travel.    If you can afford neither then you are fecked from the start.   My belief and I still stand by that statement.    

You'll be singing the Internationale soon, Sensi. Smile 
Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 8:40 am

I was so poor as a kid, I couldn't afford legs. I'd have been the best slalom skiier ever if I could have afforded some legs.
Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 11:30 am

The only reason you were legless was because you were spoilt and allowed to be a student.
Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 12:06 pm

Like Oscar pistorious without the blades, and the shotgun hopefully.
Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
You don't have to go to a private school to be comfortably off.    Show me how many came from council estate backgrounds.    That article proves nothing at all.    You have to have money in the first place to pay for equipment and travel.    If you can afford neither then you are fecked from the start.   My belief and I still stand by that statement.    

Having support from your parents is a must unless you live right on top of quality facilities, my point was though Sensi no matter how many times your parents are going to drive you to the tennis club you can't get a court to practice once the coaching session is finished.
Anyway I reckon that Murrat v Jukebox will be a cracking match, Murrays 4 set game will be a massive help to him if he can draw him out into a long game, Jukebox is a hell of a player though and I would have him as slim favourite.
Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 5:47 pm

Another brilliant English victory!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 6:08 pm

Murray wins in straight sets.Well deserved too,better player all round on the day and well done to him.Pretty agonising last game though but he got there in the end,first Brit for 77 years to win Wimbledon-staggering.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 7:25 pm

knecht wrote:

Scottish actually.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Murray wins in straight sets.Well deserved too,better player all round on the day and well done to him.Pretty agonising last game though but he got there in the end,first Brit for 77 years to win Wimbledon-staggering.

And so begins a mass Andy love-in.....
Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 8:25 pm

pepsipete wrote:
knecht wrote:

Scottish actually.

Are you sure? Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 9:28 pm

Brilliant stuff. Was sat watching some of it in the beer tent at the steam engine rally I went.

I thought Djokovic would be too strong but Murray has got so much better under Lendl he's now super confident and so he should be.

That must be the longest straight sets win ever. Makes it sound like it was easy when it was a right battle.

Hopefully Murray will win a few more slams now and gets to world number 1.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 10:28 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

Not from me old chap,just acknowledging the fact that the guy achieved something rather historic and special today.No doubt as a sports person yourself you would recognise the talent,temperament and sacrifice needed for such heights to be attained,alleged personality defects notwithstanding.I do believe there's a certain resentment in some quarters about some anti English remarks that Murray made some time ago.Always struck me as rather strange that Murray should be castigated for this,yet Denis Law who made a concerted and deliberate effort to be as far away from the 1966 world cup final as possible in dread that England would win it,is still revered in this country.Odd,nowt as queer as folks i suppose.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 8:04 am

knecht wrote:
pepsipete wrote:
knecht wrote:

Scottish actually.

Are you sure? Very Happy 

Well perhaps Oirish.
Back to top Go down

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 1:56 pm

Greenskin wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

Not from me old chap,just acknowledging the fact that the guy achieved something rather historic and special today.No doubt as a sports person yourself you would recognise the talent,temperament and sacrifice needed for such heights to be attained,alleged personality defects notwithstanding.I do believe there's a certain resentment in some quarters about some anti English remarks that Murray made some time ago.Always struck me as rather strange that Murray should be castigated for this,yet Denis Law who made a concerted and deliberate effort to be as far away from the 1966 world cup final as possible in dread that England would win it,is still revered in this country.Odd,nowt as queer as folks i suppose.

I agree about the achievement GS, fantastic, Murray is really difficult to like though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon   Wimbledon - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next