+2
125+1
pepsipete
6 posters
AuthorMessage
pepsipete

pepsipete

SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  Empty
PostSubject: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 6:24 pm

Well a better result than most of us feared, I had forecast a postponement because Argyle were still sorting themselves out. Most had expected a heavy defeat. Importantly, that element of luck which all teams need appears to have been with Argyle. Perhaps another relegation may be avoided.
Back to top Go down
125+1

125+1

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 6:53 pm

pepsipete wrote:
Well a better result than most of us feared, I had forecast a postponement because Argyle were still sorting themselves out. Most had expected a heavy defeat. Importantly, that element of luck which all teams need appears to have been with Argyle. Perhaps another relegation may be avoided.

It was never going to be a postpoment as Argyle had a team, i predicted 1-1 as having watched them in all pre-season games i didnt see where many goals would come from
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 7:23 pm

I still see nothing other than a season of struggle ending in our third relegation on the bounce. We have far too little experience and nowhere near enough quality, even for this piss poor division. And that's before all the injuries and suspensions kick in. Also, I know we're not supposed to say it as he's a 'legend' but I'd rate our chances slightly higher with a different manager.
Back to top Go down
125+1

125+1

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 8:10 pm

Freathy wrote:
I still see nothing other than a season of struggle ending in our third relegation on the bounce. We have far too little experience and nowhere near enough quality, even for this piss poor division. And that's before all the injuries and suspensions kick in. Also, I know we're not supposed to say it as he's a 'legend' but I'd rate our chances slightly higher with a different manager.

It will be a struggle this season, we still got 3 spaces in the squad to fill, to take us to the 20 maximum we can have whilst in administration, and im sure we'll see another couple arrive this week, i agree and disagree about reid, any other manager would'av walked by now, but has he got enough knowledge about the lower league's to be competative, im not sure. Id be very very surprised if we see relagation though, as soon as this admin business is sorted we can bring our squad up to 24-25 adding a few better quality players on loan, and im sure we'll be ok. 2 strikers and a left winger is a must though asap.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 9:21 pm

It doesn't matter two shits if a manager has detailed knowledge of a particular league or not.Sturrock had never played or managed in the fourth division,nor had Joe Kinnear-can't say that they were unsuccessful last time.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 10:12 pm

I agree, it's got nothing to do with 'knowledge of this division'. I'm afraid I just no longer rate PR as a manager. I know he's a decent chap to stuck with us and he paid the gas bill and all that but there were far too many unbelievably shocking 'perfomances' under him last season. Worse perfomances I think than the players he had available at the time warranted.
Back to top Go down
125+1

125+1

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 10:42 pm

Greenskin wrote:
It doesn't matter two shits if a manager has detailed knowledge of a particular league or not.Sturrock had never played or managed in the fourth division,nor had Joe Kinnear-can't say that they were unsuccessful last time.

That i totally disagree with, as every player, every manager has thier level, and sturrocks is lower league's, there are many manager's that do a fantastic job in the lower divisions, but put them in the championship or above and they will fail. Sturrock is a prime example of that, anything higher than L1 and he struggle's.

Also im not saying its the same with everyone, but budgets also have alot to do with it, and knowledge of the division helps hell of alot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 10:52 pm

Been going to away matches for 8 years and that was the loudest and proudest I have ever heard the green army.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptySat Aug 06, 2011 11:27 pm

Nice to have some football to talk about.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 1:40 am

taken from the home end
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 4:00 am

I remember going to Southampton on the first away game last season,we took a similar "large" following to that one to.. and came away with a sneaky totally undeserved 1-0 win which filled the Aviva boys full of false hope.
My point is that if that game had been a few months into the season, add the usual string of disastrous results into the equation, we would never be getting 1200 traveling...nowhere near,reality will set in soon....mark my words!!
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 4:49 am

Still, let's not be churlish and enjoy a wee nugget/ glimmer of hope, on the pitch at least!

The Soton match was my only outing last season, sat with a local fan made it a sweet victory though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 6:48 am

I was expecting a thumping but we came away with a point.

I agree with Punch, this is our first game a division where we can be the big boys, give it a few weeks.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 10:17 am

125+1 wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

That i totally disagree with, as every player, every manager has thier level, and sturrocks is lower league's, there are many manager's that do a fantastic job in the lower divisions, but put them in the championship or above and they will fail. Sturrock is a prime example of that, anything higher than L1 and he struggle's.

Also im not saying its the same with everyone, but budgets also have alot to do with it, and knowledge of the division helps hell of alot.

I think you misunderstood my point.I'm not arguing that people don't have a level beyond which they can't progress,although in Sturrock's case,i would say its rather simplistic to say that it was solely his lack of ability that caused his struggles in the CCC,both with Wednesday and Argyle.Plenty of other good managers have hit the wall at Argyle,and in most cases it was the failure at boardroom level to fund the club adequately that led to their downfall.Coming back to the original point,there seems to a perception that because Reid spent most of his career as player and manager at the top level,this puts him at a disadvantage when it comes to managing in this division.I'm saying that there are numerous examples that disprove this theory.As i said in my OP,Sturrock and Kinnear had both played and managed exclusively at a far higher level than the fourth division when they achieved their success in 2002.Chesterfield were managed by John Sheridan,another who almost exclusively played and managed at higher levels previously,and won the division at a canter last year.I can't be arsed to look up more examples,but the point is that management is management,no matter what division a club is in,and if Reid fails at Argyle.it won't be his unfamiliarity with the league that causes his downfall.
Back to top Go down
125+1

125+1

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Match Stats
Shrewsbury Plymouth
Goals : 1 1
Possession : 56% 44%
Shots On Target : 5 6
Shots Off Target : 6 7
Corners : 2 3
Fouls : 13 11
Most Fouls : Collins (3) Zubar (3)
Yellow Cards : 1 1
Red Cards : 0 0

Scorers :
Collins 69
Fletcher 90
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 1:56 pm

I've seen three seasons of this sort of pointless eulogising. Gain a point, not even 3, slap eachother on the back, sing stories of the mighty Argyle spirit, and the world's turning green, while behind the scenes Dorian Gray is still at work.... still if that's your bag, hand over your money and keep taking your drugs.

Our cat and her noisy mates could gain a few points in this league.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptySun Aug 07, 2011 5:21 pm

Happy with the result then Pirate? lol!
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  EmptyMon Aug 08, 2011 10:32 am

I was expecting a heavy defeat, so I think we've done well to gain a point at a team who will be looking at automatic promotion. Sky Sports said that 9 players made their debuts and the average age of the team was 23. Cracking goal by Fletcher too. Rotherham next week will be another tough test.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1    SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1  Empty

Back to top Go down

SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 ARGYLE 1
Page 1 of 1