Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Oaks today, Derby tomorrow

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Oaks today, Derby tomorrow Empty
PostSubject: Oaks today, Derby tomorrow   Oaks today, Derby tomorrow EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 11:54 am

For horse racing fans it's The Oaks today and The Derby tomorrow.

Being females, The Oaks runners are much harder to work out because they're so tempremental, and it is a very open looking race. Maybe has been favourite for a while now, but might not go off favourite looking at the prices today. There seems to be a doubt that she will be able to last the mile and a half. I think she will run well but possibly not quite win.

I do like Kissed, which is another Aiden O'Brien runner priced at around 7-1 and has champion jockey Ryan Moore on board. She's unbeaten in her two races and has won them very easily. Kissed will definitely last the trip out no problem, but she has only raced on soft ground so far and it is due to be Good to Firm at Epsom. I'm going to wait and see what the ground looks like after the first couple of races before having a bet on Kissed or not.

If it is looking firmish I will have a small bet on Vow at around 5-1, who is also unbeaten and trained by Willie Haggas who has a good record in the Epsom big races, he won The Oaks last year, and Johnny Murtagh has an amazing 42% strike rate on Willie Haggas trained horses, and if you put £1 on every horse trained by Haggas and ridden by Murtagh you would be £40.30 up. That's a pretty good statistic in racing.

So it's Kissed or Vow for me today, looking more likely to be Vow because of the ground, and the Derby is just no contest, as Camelot is so good he has scared off most of the opposition and there are only 9 runners, which is a very small field for The Derby. The way Camelot won the 2000 Guineas was spectacular, coming from last to first and definitely running on over a mile, so the extra half a mile is right up his street. The Guineas was his first run of the season and on soft going, so he should improve fitness wise and for the better ground. It's just not worth backing Camelot unless you're going to put a bucketload of cash on him at 4-7.

The horse I really like today is Resurge in the 2.15 at Epsom. Won the race last year off a higher handicap mark, has won 3 times over course and distance and Epsom is a course that horses either love or hate, and is in good form having won his last race nicely, even though the ground was soft. Bet of the day then is Resurge 14.15 Epsom, currently priced at 6-1 so a big each way bet for me today Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Location : Looking into the eyes of the beholder, and all I can see are £££££ signs :-)

PostSubject: Re: Oaks today, Derby tomorrow   Oaks today, Derby tomorrow EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 12:45 pm

Look no further than 'The Fugue' <taps nose Carol>
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sandford_merlin
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Location : Looking into the eyes of the beholder, and all I can see are £££££ signs :-)

PostSubject: Re: Oaks today, Derby tomorrow   Oaks today, Derby tomorrow EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 12:48 pm

And 'Camelot' for tomorrows Derby <taps nose carol>
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sandford_merlin

PostSubject: Re: Oaks today, Derby tomorrow   Oaks today, Derby tomorrow EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 2:21 pm

Hmmmmm. Great race, but Resurge faded in the closing stages. I thought it was gonna win as they entered the last furlong. All the horses veered off the rails so the ground must be rock hard and a wide draw in The Oaks could be an advantage.

I don't think Kissed will even run now.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oaks today, Derby tomorrow   Oaks today, Derby tomorrow Empty

Back to top Go down

Oaks today, Derby tomorrow
Page 1 of 1