pepsipete
Mrrapson
seadog
Tringreen
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySat May 19, 2012 4:16 pm

It is now.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySat May 19, 2012 5:10 pm

unlucky Ollie

Blackpool will do well to hold on to him next season
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySat May 19, 2012 5:24 pm

If Martinez was to go to Liverpool, then I could see him at Wigan. Not sure if Villa would go for him but he would definitely give their fans some much needed entertainment after McLeish.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySat May 19, 2012 6:06 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Nick Wall wrote:
6 words on football and on topic, over 50 words on PASOTI. Sometimes that kind of post sums up this site for some.

We are allowed to say what we think on here Nick.

Were you a Hollowhead man ?

Anyway, how do you think the game will go today ? I think Blackpool will run the Hammers very close but just miss out.

It could and should have been us.

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySat May 19, 2012 7:04 pm

Stapleton was allowed to ruin the club, supported by the largest fans forum. Selling all our best players for 'Plymouth prices' ie a fraction of their true worth MID season. They were replaced by utter shit from the Scottish leagues on lucrative contracts. Stapes banked the money and used it to hoodwink people into paying him and his chums an inflated price for his shares. Meanwhile PASOTI were firmly behind all this so they basically saved the club from a mess which was partly of their making. Every time holloway achieves something it's painful reminder off how we were all mugged off.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySat May 19, 2012 8:16 pm

hairy j wrote:
Is there any possible subject you can think of that doesn't involve pasoti/Stapleton/the myth that Argyle would have been 100% guaranteed a place in the Premier League if Ian Holloway had stayed?

Bonkers.

No guarantee.But put it this way,Argyle finished 6 points off the play off positions that season.I'm pretty darned convinced that a squad managed by Holloway and containing Buzz,Norris,Ebanks [or a decent replacement] and Gosling would have stood a considerably better chance of getting the points needed than the one containing Patterson,Clark,McClean and Folly. Argyle had a better squad than Hull,the eventual play off winners in that season,so i wouldn't say that the proposition that we had a very good of making even the automatic slot in that season was at all bonkers.I don't know how long you've been a supporter but i would say that people like Tring,Freathy,Plympton Pilgrim etc and myself have seen this scenario so many times at Home park over the years that the true cause of Argyle's under achievement has become patently obvious-if you want a bit of "horses mouth" information,just go back to the "Ciderman" thread on here last week or read his story in the next few editions of the Sunday Independent-could be very revealng and no less relevant in relation to recent or indeed future times.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySat May 19, 2012 8:42 pm

Greenskin wrote:
hairy j wrote:
Is there any possible subject you can think of that doesn't involve pasoti/Stapleton/the myth that Argyle would have been 100% guaranteed a place in the Premier League if Ian Holloway had stayed?

Bonkers.

No guarantee.But put it this way,Argyle finished 6 points off the play off positions that season.I'm pretty darned convinced that a squad managed by Holloway and containing Buzz,Norris,Ebanks [or a decent replacement] and Gosling would have stood a considerably better chance of getting the points needed than the one containing Patterson,Clark,McClean and Folly. Argyle had a better squad than Hull,the eventual play off winners in that season,so i wouldn't say that the proposition that we had a very good of making even the automatic slot in that season was at all bonkers.I don't know how long you've been a supporter but i would say that people like Tring,Freathy,Plympton Pilgrim etc and myself have seen this scenario so many times at Home park over the years that the true cause of Argyle's under achievement has become patently obvious-if you want a bit of "horses mouth" information,just go back to the "Ciderman" thread on here last week or read his story in the next few editions of the Sunday Independent-could be very revealng and no less relevant in relation to recent or indeed future times.

It's a waste of time trying to reason with the *****wallet lovers. It really is.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySat May 19, 2012 9:08 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Andy_Symons wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Let's try sticking to the facts and real events, shall we ?

That's a challenge I'm happy to accept - but it works both ways Tring. Let's see you just post factually from now on - I'm willing to bet you can't go 48 hours without posting some spurious criticism of your 'Unholy Trinity' - Pasoti, Webb & Newell. Go on, Tring, try it. Oh and isn't this Block 17 - you know, the 'banter' board? Very Happy

I'd give you longer odds on people not being able to resist jumping on Tring for daring to bore people, mind...

I will do it...

Tring for goodness sake PUT those legs away and stop rubbing in the fact that the weather is better where you are than here! Very Happy

I always find Tring quite entertaining.
There again I am mouldy!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySat May 19, 2012 9:18 pm

I also find Tring's posts most entertaining.Unlike a lot of fly by night poodles who just log on to cause trouble.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySat May 19, 2012 11:14 pm

As far as I can see there is a distinct lack of poodles on this thread. Who are they exactly? Usual comments about Holloway being the Mesiah and lets all screw Stapleton for his lack of spending. If I remember correctly wasn't it Holloway who left us and had the club he went to relegated? Great job there Ollie. He wasn't unlucky today Blackpool got beaten by a better side in the end. Just because Argyle supporters don't necessarily fall at Holloway's feet is no way a statement of support for Stapleton but hey, lets not let a good put down attempt get in the way of any facts.

I don't find Trings comments that interesting to be honest. He accuses me of being boring which is fair enough but just how boring is mentioning the other website at every single opportunity? Reading comments that constantly contain one or most of the following is boring as shit. Newell, Webb, Staplewallet, PASOTI, village, aviva......re-arrange into a well know phrase or Tring post. Shouldn't be difficult.

Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:00 am

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
If I remember correctly wasn't it Holloway who left us and had the club he went to relegated? Great job there Ollie.

And why do you think he left? Because your beloved *****wallet shat all over him and us. And wasn't it Ollie who got Blackpool promoted to the Premier League two seasons ago? And got them to the play-off final this season? Not too bad is it?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySun May 20, 2012 12:12 am

Just one correction there Freathy if you don't mind. "Your beloved staplewallet". I do not know the man, have never met the man and he certainly isn't my beloved. That's the trouble with one string arguments and having to rely on the standard "you must love him if you don't criticise him at every opportunity" as a put down. He left get over it as it's history now as is the Holloway managership. Don't care what he did with Blackpool to be honest as it isn't relevant to anything he did or didn't do here.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySun May 20, 2012 4:04 am

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
As far as I can see there is a distinct lack of poodles on this thread. Who are they exactly? Usual comments about Holloway being the Mesiah and lets all screw Stapleton for his lack of spending. If I remember correctly wasn't it Holloway who left us and had the club he went to relegated? Great job there Ollie. He wasn't unlucky today Blackpool got beaten by a better side in the end. Just because Argyle supporters don't necessarily fall at Holloway's feet is no way a statement of support for Stapleton but hey, lets not let a good put down attempt get in the way of any facts.

I don't find Trings comments that interesting to be honest. He accuses me of being boring which is fair enough but just how boring is mentioning the other website at every single opportunity? Reading comments that constantly contain one or most of the following is boring as shit. Newell, Webb, Staplewallet, PASOTI, village, aviva......re-arrange into a well know phrase or Tring post. Shouldn't be difficult.

lol! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on ATD boringreeny. I think it has become a bit of a habit over the years for me, a sort of 'Avivaddictiion', for the want of a real word.
They don't seem to be listening still, perhaps they never will ? Starry starry night, paint your canvas blue and grey..........................................

I digress.....................
None of it really matters. Our viewing figures have increased dramatically despite my boring comments. Did anyone else notice Rapson suggesting to the mods that I be banned for a day, every time I mention Pasoti or some of the clown clown clown within ? He was even clever enough to work out that 10 mentions would equate to a 10 day ban ! lol!

I'm sure that ATD's admin can't wait to take on board his advice lol!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySun May 20, 2012 8:07 am

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Just one correction there Freathy if you don't mind. "Your beloved staplewallet". I do not know the man, have never met the man and he certainly isn't my beloved. That's the trouble with one string arguments and having to rely on the standard "you must love him if you don't criticise him at every opportunity" as a put down. He left get over it as it's history now as is the Holloway managership. Don't care what he did with Blackpool to be honest as it isn't relevant to anything he did or didn't do here.

Of course it's relevant.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySun May 20, 2012 9:18 am

Has Holloway been that wonderful at Blackpool? They were promoted via the play-offs after finishing 6th after their Chairman had pumped in £20m, then they were relegated, now they have failed in the play-offs despite being lavishly funded in comparison to most of their competitors due to the parachute money. Which follows on from another lavishly funded relegation at Leicester. Holloway benefits more from being the wacky media whore than he does for any footballing achievements because people seem to look at the success in 3 play-off games and ignore the failure of 3 whole seasons.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
fridgey

fridgey

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySun May 20, 2012 9:25 am

He may not be the greatest manager in the world but, who would you rather have, Fletcher, Reid, Marnier, Sturrock (Mark2) or Ollie. When compared to that list of "illustrious" managers he doesn't seem too shabby does he?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySun May 20, 2012 9:34 am

fridgey wrote:
He may not be the greatest manager in the world but, who would you rather have, Fletcher, Reid, Marnier, Sturrock (Mark2) or Ollie. When compared to that list of "illustrious" managers he doesn't seem too shabby does he?

Exactly.............. he was puuurrrrfect for us Janners. He gets plenty of compliments from the pundits on how his teams are usually involved in end to end stuff and there can be no denying that his scouting contacts certainly turn up a few wee nuggets.

I think he's learnt from his arrogant attitude at Leicester. He got carried away by his own hype. Seems a lot more steady and reflective now.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySun May 20, 2012 10:45 am

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Just one correction there Freathy if you don't mind. "Your beloved staplewallet". I do not know the man, have never met the man and he certainly isn't my beloved

Neither had most of pasoti met him but it didn't stop them blindly worshipping the man and spitting their abuse at anyone who disagreed with him selling our best players half way through the season when we were heading for the play-offs. Those stupid idiots now have the team and club they fully deserve.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySun May 20, 2012 4:13 pm

Why is what Holloway does or did anywhere else relevant to Argyle Greenskin? Holloway is trotted out as if he achieved something here which he didn't in terms of success. We were teetering on the brink of possibility is all and using him as an argument of something we definately would have achieved is just guessing at best. I agree with Sir Francis in that he hasn't worked any miracles anywhere particularly. Just saying he would have done with Plymouth what he has done with Blackpool when it cannot be tested is an easy cop out. Even if the old Board had gone for it instead of taking the route they did there is no guarantee or evidence to say he would have made it here. At best you could say that he might have done although we will never know the answer as it didn't happen and he left and everyone would have prefered him to have been given the chance but he wasn't.

There are also different ways of looking at the "Staplewallet" claim also and let me say immediately that just by doing so does not make anyone a Stapleton lover either. It is just an alternative view. I'm assuming the Staplewallet name is meant to indicate that he wouldn't spend to go for a glory push. That indicates a prudent approach to finances and we had always done well in that respect previously posting profits rather than losses for a number of seasons. The clamour from some of the supporters was that we should invest rather than be prudent. The Board did not have the wedge for that and would have had to look elsewhere which they did. Mistake number one was they looked in the wrong place. They sanctioned selling a number of players for a fair profit in business terms. Mistake number two as it turned out. Having said that nobody but nobody deliberately buys anything they know to be crap and the same applies to players. They thought, as did the manager at that time that the replacements were good enough to at least maintain Argyle's position. They didn't stint on the money but the players turned out to be duds and the rest as they say is history. Abandoning prudence and spending money on dross instead of nuggets and diamonds led to a collapse rather than not spending money at all. Burying their heads collectively in the sand was the final mistake.

Now I don't expect everyone to agree with the above but that is my opinion with an element of guessing thrown in just like the alternative views. In my personal life I have always practiced a bit of prudence which is why I could replace my roof if it fell off and the world would not end financially for me. It is in my nature not to throw money away and only spending what I can afford. It is hard for somebody like me to criticise others for not doing the opposite to something I would do myself. Bookies get rich off people who speculate to accumulate as the vast majority fail.

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySun May 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Greenskin wrote:
hairy j wrote:

Bonkers.

You're wasting your energy mate. There's none so blind......................................

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySun May 20, 2012 4:33 pm

And that Tringreen is typically dismissive with absolutely no argument to support others being blind and you all seeing. Just a little put down in your usual fashion and job done. Your arrogance is outstanding, go to the top of the class.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySun May 20, 2012 4:53 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Why is what Holloway does or did anywhere else relevant to Argyle Greenskin? Holloway is trotted out as if he achieved something here which he didn't in terms of success. We were teetering on the brink of possibility is all and using him as an argument of something we definately would have achieved is just guessing at best. I agree with Sir Francis in that he hasn't worked any miracles anywhere particularly. Just saying he would have done with Plymouth what he has done with Blackpool when it cannot be tested is an easy cop out. Even if the old Board had gone for it instead of taking the route they did there is no guarantee or evidence to say he would have made it here. At best you could say that he might have done although we will never know the answer as it didn't happen and he left and everyone would have prefered him to have been given the chance but he wasn't.

There are also different ways of looking at the "Staplewallet" claim also and let me say immediately that just by doing so does not make anyone a Stapleton lover either. It is just an alternative view. I'm assuming the Staplewallet name is meant to indicate that he wouldn't spend to go for a glory push. That indicates a prudent approach to finances and we had always done well in that respect previously posting profits rather than losses for a number of seasons. The clamour from some of the supporters was that we should invest rather than be prudent. The Board did not have the wedge for that and would have had to look elsewhere which they did. Mistake number one was they looked in the wrong place. They sanctioned selling a number of players for a fair profit in business terms. Mistake number two as it turned out. Having said that nobody but nobody deliberately buys anything they know to be crap and the same applies to players. They thought, as did the manager at that time that the replacements were good enough to at least maintain Argyle's position. They didn't stint on the money but the players turned out to be duds and the rest as they say is history. Abandoning prudence and spending money on dross instead of nuggets and diamonds led to a collapse rather than not spending money at all. Burying their heads collectively in the sand was the final mistake.

Now I don't expect everyone to agree with the above but that is my opinion with an element of guessing thrown in just like the alternative views. In my personal life I have always practiced a bit of prudence which is why I could replace my roof if it fell off and the world would not end financially for me. It is in my nature not to throw money away and only spending what I can afford. It is hard for somebody like me to criticise others for not doing the opposite to something I would do myself. Bookies get rich off people who speculate to accumulate as the vast majority fail.

It is profoundly relevant in that Holloway,along with other Argyle managers through the years such as Pulis,Allison,Waiters,Ken Brown etc,have achieved major success at other clubs which they were not able [or did not feel was possible] to do at Argyle.Can you not see that connection and how it surely must narrow down the underlying reason why the club has always underachieved?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySun May 20, 2012 6:24 pm

The trouble is that "the historical argument" actually spans several different boards going back many (can't be bothered to count) years. As soon as you bring in the likes of Malcolm Allison to illustrate your point you have to step far away from blaming Paul Stapleton.

The next thing that someone will say it is all down to the "Janner mentality".
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySun May 20, 2012 6:44 pm

knecht wrote:
The trouble is that "the historical argument" actually spans several different boards going back many (can't be bothered to count) years. As soon as you bring in the likes of Malcolm Allison to illustrate your point you have to step far away from blaming Paul Stapleton.

The next thing that someone will say it is all down to the "Janner mentality".

Ah! Its all down to the janner mentality.

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 EmptySun May 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Oh bugger!

I have just remembered Knecht is now a Mod.

Only joking Knecht, Sir!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good luck Ollie !   Good luck Ollie ! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Good luck Ollie !
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next