+2
Charlie Wood
shonbo
6 posters
AuthorMessage
shonbo

shonbo

Football League Show Empty
PostSubject: Football League Show   Football League Show EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 9:41 am

1. Fletcher praised for Argyle's turnaround and predicted for good things next season

2. Morcambe won pie of the season, yet no mention on here or indeed other sites, were they any good Question
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Football League Show   Football League Show EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 9:49 am

It's indicative fo my entusiasm for all things Argo this season that I record that programme every week but think I've watched it about three times all season before deleting them.

I'd rather have The Bridge and Dexter and Homeland taking up my disc space Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football League Show   Football League Show EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 10:03 am

I must admit I never watch it these days. I could record it and watch it at a sensible time, but I can't be bothered to watch 2 minutes worth of Argyle at best, and I've usually already seen the goals on Sky.

It might have something to do with not being bothered about Match of the Day either these days. There was a time when MOTD was essential viewing and then it would make sense to watch the FL show afterwards. I watch the odd game on Sky now, like tomorrow night I'll watch the title decider, but Premier League football doesn't interest me much.

The F.A.Cup Final is another thing that was always a big occasion no matter who was in the final, now I'll watch it if I've got nothing better to do. This year just proves how little the fans are thought of. A tea-time F.A.Cup Final? What about the Liverpool fans having to try and make their way home at what could be pretty late if it goes to extra time and penalties? The authorities couldn't care less about supporters. TV money is far more important to them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football League Show   Football League Show EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 10:31 am

Greenjock wrote:
I must admit I never watch it these days. I could record it and watch it at a sensible time, but I can't be bothered to watch 2 minutes worth of Argyle at best, and I've usually already seen the goals on Sky.

It might have something to do with not being bothered about Match of the Day either these days. There was a time when MOTD was essential viewing and then it would make sense to watch the FL show afterwards. I watch the odd game on Sky now, like tomorrow night I'll watch the title decider, but Premier League football doesn't interest me much.

The F.A.Cup Final is another thing that was always a big occasion no matter who was in the final, now I'll watch it if I've got nothing better to do. This year just proves how little the fans are thought of. A tea-time F.A.Cup Final? What about the Liverpool fans having to try and make their way home at what could be pretty late if it goes to extra time and penalties? The authorities couldn't care less about supporters. TV money is far more important to them.

Sums up all that I would say. I support Argyle because that's who I grew up with. When I lived nearby I went through periods of following the Wolves and, in latter years, Rushden & Diamonds but that was because they were (fairly) local. The idea of following some rich brat premier team or the half-interested England players would be ridiculous to me. Once you factor in the multi-millionaires playing with their toys boredom becomes irritation. I've said before that I am equivocal about the idea of Argyle ever getting to the premiership for those sorts of reasons. A big part of me would be happy with good quality football being played in the middle of the Championship. Heresy? Maybe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football League Show   Football League Show EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 11:57 am

Greenjock wrote:

I've already said on one Argle site (can't remember which)...I'd prefer to watch paint drying then Chelsea or Liverpool.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football League Show   Football League Show EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 12:36 pm

ZYPH wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

I've already said on one Argle site (can't remember which)...I'd prefer to watch paint drying then Chelsea or Liverpool.

Me too, but the Cup Final was always an occasion. BBC1 on all day for the build up and it didn't matter who was playing. Now it's on ESPN or ITV at 5.45 and I couldn't care less. I know Man City won last year but I never saw the game and couldn't tell you the score. Rewind 20 odd years and I could tell you the teams, scorers and result of every Cup Final for years.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Football League Show   Football League Show EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 12:41 pm

I'm not sure why the Beeb doesn't do a show for each of the Leagues, just show the action and get rid of the talking heads, and put them on the red button or something. Certainly they should be able to knock up something and stick it on iPlayer that's more substantial.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Football League Show   Football League Show EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 2:24 pm

knecht wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

Sums up all that I would say. I support Argyle because that's who I grew up with. When I lived nearby I went through periods of following the Wolves and, in latter years, Rushden & Diamonds but that was because they were (fairly) local. The idea of following some rich brat premier team or the half-interested England players would be ridiculous to me. Once you factor in the multi-millionaires playing with their toys boredom becomes irritation. I've said before that I am equivocal about the idea of Argyle ever getting to the premiership for those sorts of reasons. A big part of me would be happy with good quality football being played in the middle of the Championship. Heresy? Maybe.

I'd love to see us in the Prem just once, but the fun is in actually getting there, particularly by winning the play off final. I'd venture to say that after 10 games or so in the Premiership, a large number of 'fans' would be whingeing if we were struggling.

I'm the same with watching footie on tv these days. I really don't bother with the top four, except for Spurs who actually play decent football, have a decent manager, and haven't (yet) tried to buy the title. I don't mind watching the relegation threatened teams, their games seem to mean more to them in an odd sort of way - probably the thought of losing millions has something to do with that.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football League Show   Football League Show EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 2:39 pm

Just one season in the prem before i snuff it, not much to ask for is it?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Football League Show   Football League Show EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 2:46 pm

SufferedSince68 wrote:

I still believe the region could support a Prem Club just as well as many currently 'enjoying the ride'.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football League Show   Football League Show EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 2:51 pm

One day Tringy one day, with more money moving west i think it will happen ,even after forty years of fooking waiting in vain!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football League Show   Football League Show EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 3:08 pm

SufferedSince68 wrote:

How long have you got? Smile
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Football League Show   Football League Show EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 3:21 pm

SufferedSince68 wrote:

My Dad died waiting, feel the same will happen to me, I am 73 an been going since 1956.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football League Show   Football League Show EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 7:01 pm

We all say the same with the "once before I die" thing and Argyle. I'm a beginner pete with just 50 years in and being 63. I often ask myself how long I've got. Probably not long enough but still have to live with the dream of it nonetheless. I absolutely agree it's the getting there rather than the being there that I want to see. I used to watch other teams do a runaway lead thing in some leagues and it was never Argyle. Then, one year it was us and then went on to do another promotion 2 seasons later. Always dreamed of Argyle playing at Wembley and lo and behold one year it happened and it was a one appearance and undefeated there. Just the one left now but to be fair I never thought I would see the other 2 either so never say never.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football League Show   Football League Show EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 7:21 pm

On the basis of three score years and ten I have perhaps 10 more years. Will Argyle make it to the top by then? Nah!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football League Show   Football League Show EmptySun Apr 29, 2012 7:27 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
We all say the same with the "once before I die" thing and Argyle. I'm a beginner pete with just 50 years in and being 63. I often ask myself how long I've got. Probably not long enough but still have to live with the dream of it nonetheless. I absolutely agree it's the getting there rather than the being there that I want to see. I used to watch other teams do a runaway lead thing in some leagues and it was never Argyle. Then, one year it was us and then went on to do another promotion 2 seasons later. Always dreamed of Argyle playing at Wembley and lo and behold one year it happened and it was a one appearance and undefeated there. Just the one left now but to be fair I never thought I would see the other 2 either so never say never.

I'm a baby then compared to you two at 28 years watching Argyle!

I think the hardest thing to take is that when we did reach the Championship and had looked like a club going places, I never thought I would see us back in this division again. A half decent looking stadium almost completed and a few half decent players, and I thought the days of playing in the lower leagues was a thing of the past.

How wrong can you get?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Football League Show   Football League Show Empty

Back to top Go down

Football League Show
Page 1 of 1