Charlie Wood
Greenskin
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

Half time yesterday Empty
PostSubject: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 8:44 pm

Did i hear that John Leiper was one of the HT guests yesterday? I was getting me cup of tea and got back in time to hear Don Hutchins but didn't see the earlier people.Leiper was goalie when i first started going to Argyle,prone to the odd clanger as i recall.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 8:59 pm

You're a bit too young my lad, but before said John Leiper (never could live up to replacing Dave MacLaren), Jimmy McAnearney put in an appearance. He scored twice in the first game I ever attended, mind you so did Wilf Carter and Micky Lill. Johnny Williams only got one...he must have been rubbish.

I was so pleased to see him looking hail and hearty and he made my afternoon (as I did say on another thread) when the MC (who he?) asked his opinion of the match so far replied..."I think the ball will have to go to hospital at the end, it needs somebody to bring it down and play football with it". Still a good judge of quality then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 9:40 pm

I managed to see Dave McLaren a couple of times but was too young to remember. I first began going regularly when the keeper's jersey was fought over between John Leiper (how cool is that a name for a goalkeeper?!) and Peter Shearing. I tended towards Shearing. But seeing his picture on Greensonscreen earlier was a good memory.

I used to keep a list of all the Argyle keepers from about 1960 - how sad is that. I reckon I could still reel off a good number of them!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 10:18 pm

knecht wrote:
I managed to see Dave McLaren a couple of times but was too young to remember. I first began going regularly when the keeper's jersey was fought over between John Leiper (how cool is that a name for a goalkeeper?!) and Peter Shearing. I tended towards Shearing. But seeing his picture on Greensonscreen earlier was a good memory.

I used to keep a list of all the Argyle keepers from about 1960 - how sad is that. I reckon I could still reel off a good number of them!

I'll start off with Pat Dunne and raise you with Peta Bala'c. Laughing

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 10:27 pm

Pat Dunne - a bit like an improved version of Jake Cole .... made some excellent saves and then spoilt it with some crass error.

Peta Balac - not many memories other than he was quite good.

I raise you Melija Aleksic with a side-helping of Martin Clamp (talking of Clamp ... he put in a superb display when one of Argyle's matches was on the box - can't remember who against though).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Bloody hell! I've just noticed you even remembered the apostrophe in Bala'c. That's class... Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 10:32 pm

Can I chip in with Jim Furnell?

(Actually, I've got a list of all the Argyle keepers up til 2007, since I was writing about them that season, so I can always fill in any gaps. And correct any spelling errors.)
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 10:35 pm

Mick Kearns-one game wonder,i think he broke his leg when he was down here on loan.And the wonderfully named Neil Ramsbottom,or Sheepsarse,as my dear old grandfather used to call him.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 10:37 pm

I feel we always been rather blessed by having decent keepers over a long period of time.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 7:02 am

Anyone else remember Leiper catching a cross at the Demport and being bundled into the net with the ball Lofthouse style.......... goal awarded ?! Think it was against Birmingham and it got a bit nasty behind the goal as their fans were in there with us. Early days of football hooliganism I believe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 8:40 am

Jon Sheffield ..... Evil or Very Mad
Les Sealey .... more clubs than Tiger Woods (sorry)
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 9:29 am

Noel Dwyer
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 9:37 am

pepsipete wrote:
Noel Dwyer
............ watching the ball sail into the net, completely unmoved.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 9:40 am

Did Jimmy McAnearney score from the half way line in a 6-1 (cup?) defeat to the Spurs double winning side? My dad claims he did- but my Dad does bend the truth sometimes Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 9:46 am

Bill Shortt was the first one I remember. Used to jump around a lot on his line (I think). My Dad thought he was brilliant.
Visited his pub one with all my uncles - 6 of them and my Dad. Sank a few.....
Happy days.

Merv Plummer
Back to top Go down
swampy

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 10:06 am

Dave McClaren was my first keeper and Dunne, Dwyer and Leiper. My favourite was Jim Furnell.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 10:14 am

Chemical Ali wrote:
Did Jimmy McAnearney score from the half way line in a 6-1 (cup?) defeat to the Spurs double winning side? My dad claims he did- but my Dad does bend the truth sometimes Laughing

Think your dad is exaggerating slightly there,Ali.I was too young for that match but i've seen film of it and i'm pretty sure that it was Peter Anderson who scored from about 3 yards out after a shot from Newman [i think] hit the post. Laughing My dad used to say McAnearney was a class player though,traditional scottish tanner ball player and play maker,which would fit in with his comments at HT on Saturday.

Goalkeepers-sublime to the ridiculous-Paul Barron and Tony Burns.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 10:15 am

Bill Short was before my time but I have heard the story about one Boxing Day away match when he was drunk.

Paul Barron was class!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 10:34 am

knecht wrote:

Paul Barron was class!

I think I saw him score in a reserve game. Kicked the ball out from inside his own box and one bounce and in!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 10:37 am

There's only been one first team goalie who's scored for us - Fred Craig, back in the 20s, who took penalties.

Jon Sheffield wasn't a bad keeper given the level we were playing at back then, but he never really got his confidence back after that facial injury. And he had to wear that awful kit that looked like a kid's skeleton fancy dress.

Anybody mentioned Crudgie yet?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 10:47 am

Alan Nicholls my favourite by far. Tragic loss.
Back to top Go down
swampy

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 11:08 am

Peggy wrote:
There's only been one first team goalie who's scored for us - Fred Craig, back in the 20s, who took penalties.

Jon Sheffield wasn't a bad keeper given the level we were playing at back then, but he never really got his confidence back after that facial injury. And he had to wear that awful kit that looked like a kid's skeleton fancy dress.

Anybody mentioned Crudgie yet?
For ability,consistency and longevity my 2nd favourite behind big Jim Furnell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 11:36 am

I do remember an aging Peter Shilton dominating a advancing breakaway foreward...........Shilton came towards the foreward who literally turned into a jibbering idiot not knowing what to do........authority and his reputation completely won the day and the foreward didn't even get a shot in......I can't remember where or when....but it was an away game........it might of been West Ham not sure.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 11:38 am

Greenskin wrote:
Chemical Ali wrote:

Think your dad is exaggerating slightly there,Ali.I was too young for that match but i've seen film of it and i'm pretty sure that it was Peter Anderson who scored from about 3 yards out after a shot from Newman [i think] hit the post. Laughing My dad used to say McAnearney was a class player though,traditional scottish tanner ball player and play maker,which would fit in with his comments at HT on Saturday.

Goalkeepers-sublime to the ridiculous-Paul Barron and Tony Burns.

It was Peter Anderson, from close range. I was behind the goal at the BP End when I was a praaaaaaper faaaaan ! He was at HP Saturday. Played golf with him at Staddon. A pleasant, gentle man.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday EmptyMon Apr 02, 2012 11:49 am

My old favorites would be Jim Furnell and Milija Aleksic, both outstanding keepers. We've always been lucky with keepers for some reason, it's a pity about the other ten really.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Half time yesterday   Half time yesterday Empty

Back to top Go down

Half time yesterday
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next