Freathy
Greenskin
Les Miserable
Grovehill
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Grovehill

New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   Empty
PostSubject: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptySat Jul 31, 2021 7:34 pm

Less than a week to go, so what does everyone think will or should happen?

I think there are a lot of good teams in this League so a Good season would be a top ten finish, a Bad season would be bottom six and relegation would be totally Unacceptable.

I can't see the Manager getting the boot unless we are relegated, but my personal opinion would be that if we are in the bottom third at the turn of the year, it's time for a change.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptySat Jul 31, 2021 9:09 pm

Tough league this year, Ipswich spending big money look nailed on champions so we'll have to settle for 2nd.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptySat Jul 31, 2021 10:39 pm

i'm predicting another tough season but we should do slightly better maybe top 12. Im not going to be unrealistic with expectations we wont be in the promotion hunt or even in the playoff picture but comfortable midtable would be a good season in my eyes. Aslong as we arent in a relegation fight ill be happy.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptySat Jul 31, 2021 11:52 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
Tough league this year, Ipswich spending big money look nailed on champions so we'll have to settle for 2nd.

'tis indeed a daunting looking league Les, but lets be grateful for huge mercies and thank our lucky stars that Bradford City aren't in it as well.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 3:50 am

cheers
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 8:19 am

May have improved defence slightly but we have a paper thin squad with no proper midfield and absolutely nothing up top so lack of goals will be our downfall this season. Plus we have a Manager who is easily out thought and out manoeuvred by opposition managers. We've seen this pre-season what competent teams not even breaking into a canter can do to us at home so wins are going to be very few and far between. Bottom 6 for sure but probably relegated.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 9:23 am

Not really inspired by the pre season signings and first instinct is that a long hard season is ahead. Seems like a pattern is emerging whereby Argyle sign players from the division below or ones who have failed to establish themselves at league 1 clubs, seldom any players with a good pedigree in the division-can't believe that managers would regard that situation as ideal but it looks like Argyle are struggling to compete financially with many of their peers and that is the reality. In that case an avoidance of relegation could be said to be a success in basic terms but obviously that will not be forefront in the minds of many supporters during any periods of struggle and good wishes to Lowe in his endeavours. Hopefully this proves to be a load of pessimistic nonsense but unless the problems of leaking goals like a sieve, virtual nil return of goals from set pieces and the drying up of contributions from strikers in the second half of last season [which could have been related to the general team malaise in fairness] have been addressed satisfactorily then it doesn't bode well. Fingers crossed anyway, won't be getting a season ticket though.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 11:41 am

Well it doesn't look like we have a squad that will get promotion, which is openly the aim of the club. Agree with Freathers points to some extent, concerns over striking power with the players we have, defence opening up as demonstrated by the Championship games. And yes although I'm a supporter of Lowe would agree - he was well and truly out thought tactically by some very able experienced managers last season.
So fingers crossed!
COYG cheers
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 12:34 pm

I reckon we will struggle quite a bit, hopefully finish above relegation places, don't think that sustainable budget will ever see us compete in this league. How many years into the five year plan are we now?
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 12:38 pm

Agree with Skinny pretty much word for word.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 1:21 pm

No doubt that we're stronger defensively this year, Wilson looks a good signing and Scarr is a ball winner, something that we badly lacked. Houghton will also strengthen sitting in front of the defence. No doubting also the quality of players like Mayor and Grant, but they need to produce on a more regular basis than last season.

Up front worries me, Ennis is quality, Hardie can be when he's on his game, Jephcott doesn't have the quality for all his work rate. Would have liked to have seen one more striker brought in, the options are limited.

Can't see us anywhere near the bottom 4, but a challenge for the play offs looks a bit far off at the moment.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 1:29 pm

Agree with PP.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 5:47 pm

Good for me would be a top 10 finish, avoiding relegation a relief, relegation and Lowe is on his way. However I think we’ll do better than a lot of us are expecting, biggest worry is the strike force, Jephcott has lost it completely, all that early season adulation last year has got to him, Ennis is Bleddy good but he needs a mate, Hardie needs a run in the team and I’m sure he’ll come good, if anyone of them become injured then what then ? We need another experienced striker.
I do like the look of Rhys Shirley though maybe he’ll do a “Jephcott”
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 7:09 pm

Looks a very strong league with several more than usual big clubs to compete with, so anything over sixteenth will be a good season, and we wont be anywhere near the top six thats forshore.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptySun Aug 01, 2021 7:34 pm

Generally... I'm with PP.

I'm reasonably optimistic.  For me, the forwards are now the big worry. We really need another two strikers.  If the ones we have can score (or somebody comes in who can) then I think we could do well.  A good start to the season is imperative.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 6:42 pm

Bump Basketball sunny
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 7:06 pm

All those brave enough to make a prediction with egg on their faces eh Czarks? TBF this squad has massively exceeded everybody's expectations this season and tbh I think Lowe dipping his wick whe4 he shouldn't was the turning point we were looking for. Fickle business football.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 8:32 pm

Les Miserable wrote:

Half right maybe 🤞
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptyWed Mar 23, 2022 10:05 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Not really inspired by the pre season signings and first instinct is that a long hard season is ahead. Seems like a pattern is emerging whereby Argyle sign players from the division below or ones who have failed to establish themselves at league 1 clubs, seldom any players with a good pedigree in the division-can't believe that managers would regard that situation as ideal but it looks like Argyle are struggling to compete financially with many of their peers and that is the reality. In that case an avoidance of relegation could be said to be a success in basic terms but obviously that will not be forefront in the minds of many supporters during any periods of struggle and good wishes to Lowe in his endeavours. Hopefully this proves to be a load of pessimistic nonsense but unless the problems of leaking goals like a sieve, virtual nil return of goals from set pieces and the drying up of contributions from strikers in the second half of last season [which could have been related to the general team malaise in fairness] have been addressed satisfactorily then it doesn't bode well. Fingers crossed anyway, won't be getting a season ticket though.

Yes indeedy
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 8:19 am

Greenskin wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

Yes indeedy

Yet when read in context ie. after watching the absolute shitshow of football at the end of last season you'd have to be mad to assume we were about to storm league 1. One of the worst collapses I have ever witnessed.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Season-Good, bad unacceptable    New Season-Good, bad unacceptable   Empty

Back to top Go down

New Season-Good, bad unacceptable
Page 1 of 1