The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday Empty
PostSubject: Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday   Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday EmptyMon Mar 01, 2021 10:28 pm

Doncaster Rovers have been left hugely unimpressed after manager Darren Moore quit the South Yorkshire club to take charge at neighbours Sheffield Wednesday.

The 46-year-old, who had been in charge of Rovers since July 2019, succeeds Tony Pulis following his dismissal in December. The Owls have had Neil Thompson in interim charge for the intervening period.

Moore’s first match in charge of the Owls will be Wednesday night’s Championship clash against Rotherham at Hillsborough.

Wednesday will be Moore’s third job as a manager following his 18 months in the helm at West Brom.

Doncaster has put defender Andy Butler put in temporary charge.

Chairman David Blunt said on doncasterroversfc.co.uk: “We are disappointed that Darren has chosen to leave the club part way through what has been a season full of promise.

“We have made significant efforts to support Darren over the past 18 months. We ensured he was able to build a team capable of challenging in the top six. This has included supporting him through the past two transfer windows despite the difficult financial circumstances.

“Our ambitions remain to achieve a top-six finish. We hope and expect that Andy will use this time to put himself in the prime position to secure the role on a permanent basis at the end of the season. Andy’s first priority will be to halt the team’s recent run of poor form and put our season back on track.”

Moore’s brief at Wednesday will be a simple one – survival. The Owls are currently 23rd in the Championship, having started the season on minus six points.

Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday   Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 1:30 am

Ouch.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday   Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 7:45 am

Almost exactly the same time of the season as when Sturrock buggered off to Southampton. Not sure that Doncaster fans would wish him good luck but Moore will need it at Wednesday in their current situation-maybe he'll get some slack this year but if Wednesday go down,then the expectations will be for him to get them straight back up and if they still have major financial problems,then it ain't going to be easy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday   Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 9:32 am

Greenskin wrote:
Almost exactly the same time of the season as when Sturrock buggered off to Southampton. Not sure that Doncaster fans would wish him good luck but Moore will need it at Wednesday in their current situation-maybe he'll get some slack this year but if Wednesday go down,then the expectations will be for him to get them straight back up and if they still have major financial problems,then it ain't going to be easy.

never understood Rupert Lowe's logic in demanding Luggy started right now when it was the tail end of the season and not have him takeover at the end of the season and started a fresh. Especially as Southampton had literally nothing to play for and werent in danger of going down and we had promotion to secure that almost went tits up as a result of Luggy leaving.

If Luggy took over there at the end of the season he could have had Summerfield and Blackley from day one (although Blackley didnt go there in the end but would have at somepoint) he probably would have had a better time in charge there certainly a longer spell but ultimately the fact remains he would have still been sacked before he did a year in charge.

Darren Moore i feel should have stayed at Doncaster imo he could be a good manager but sheffield wednesday is a basketcase of a club and i cant see him lasting too long in the job.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday   Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 3:52 pm

Angry wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

never understood Rupert Lowe's logic in demanding Luggy started right now when it was the tail end of the season and not have him takeover at the end of the season  and started a fresh. Especially as Southampton had literally nothing to play for and werent in danger of going down and we had promotion to secure that almost went tits up as a result of Luggy leaving.

If Luggy took over there at the end of the season he could have had Summerfield and Blackley from day one  (although Blackley didnt go there in the end but would have at somepoint) he probably would have had a better time in charge there certainly a longer spell but ultimately the fact remains he would have still been sacked before he did a year in charge.

Darren Moore i feel should have stayed at Doncaster imo he could be a good manager but sheffield wednesday is a basketcase of a club and i cant see him lasting too long in the job.

IIRC the reason given at the time was because of the financial differences in final premier league placings,ie the higher you finished the more money you got,which presumably still holds today. Lowe obviously thought that getting a new manager in was the way to achieve this and Southampton did have some reasonable results in the remainder of that season.Definitely derailed Argyle for a while,only the arrival of Big Bobby steadied the ship for the QPR and remaining games.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday   Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 9:34 am

finished 12th that season i have just seen and above Portsmouth and Spurs so that would be a good season for them. Quite the turn around the next season when it all fell apart thanks to ego's and old time methods.

Bobby coming in when he did was a lifesaver as had he not have come in and added some managerial experience to the preparations that Summerfield/Blackley lacked we certainly wouldn't have won Division 2 that day let alone ended the season with it.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday   Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 10:26 am

The team carried on as they left off when Bobby arrived, as soon as he really took control it went to shit, budgets definitely helped but whilst a nice guy we were mugged off by Luggy getting his mate the job.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday   Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 5:30 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
The team carried on as they left off when Bobby arrived, as soon as he really took control it went to shit, budgets definitely helped but whilst a nice guy we were mugged off by Luggy getting his mate the job.

i recall the team were losing and in danger of losing out to qpr for the title so bobby did enough to get us over the line and no one gave a shit after that for the rest of the season cause we just one the division 2 the last winners of that under that name.
i cant honestly say he was an outright flop here. He kept us in the championship in our first season which was a mammoth task considering the gulf in finances and class compared to some clubs in that league so on paper that was a good first year.
He certainly didnt succeed the next season due to many matters on and off the pitch so yes i would say he was a flopb for that. i don't think he helped himself with comments like players don't need coaching when we were so out of sorts, losing and players not trying and definitely didnt help in the eyes of his fanclub on pasoti that where making up stories about him being a drunk and thrown out of pubs Laughing

staplewallet being the unprofessional prick he was listening to luggy over his own manager something both pulis and hollowords both atested too being a huge issue during their reigns here probably didn't help matters i recall we could have had a couple of top players from the championship glen whelan for one i forget the strikers name but he was a good one those deals got vetoed as luggy didnt think they were worth the money.

not defending bobby sacking him was the right desicion but i just cant see his reign here being a total flop as some do.

but off topic or back on topic which ever one it is the radio guy made mention that darren moore was runner up to lowe for the job here i dont recall him being in the running back then does anyone else?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday   Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 10:38 pm

Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

i recall the team were losing and in danger of losing out to qpr for the title so bobby did enough to get us over the line and no one gave  a shit after that for the rest of the season cause we just one the division 2 the last winners of that under that name.  
i cant honestly say he was an outright flop here. He kept us in the championship in our first season which was a mammoth task considering the gulf in finances and class compared to some clubs in that league so on paper that was a good first year.
He certainly didnt succeed the next season due to many matters on and off the pitch so yes i would say he was a flopb for that.  i don't think he helped himself with comments like players don't need coaching when we were so out of sorts, losing and players not trying and definitely didnt help in the eyes of his fanclub on pasoti that where making up stories about him being a drunk and thrown out of pubs Laughing

staplewallet being the unprofessional prick he was listening to luggy over his own manager something both pulis and hollowords both atested too being a huge issue during their reigns here probably didn't help matters i recall we could have had a couple of top players from the championship glen whelan for one i forget the strikers name but he was a good one those deals got vetoed as luggy didnt think they were worth the money.

not defending bobby sacking him was the right desicion but i just cant see his reign here being a total flop as some do.

but off topic or back on topic which ever one it is the radio guy made mention that darren moore was runner up to lowe for the job here  i dont recall him being in the running back then does anyone else?

Didn't hear anything about Moore,not sure that he would have left Doncaster for Argyle anyway.

Back on/off topic again,remember Williamson saying in an interview long after he had been sacked that he tried to sign Lilian Nalis and also had a deal lined up to get Leroy Lita from Bristol City but the board put the kybosh on it because of the wages,which would figure.Bobby made some good signings in Doumbe,Crawford,Buzz,Blackstock and Dodd to keep us in the CCC but the following summers intake wasn't so good,West and Brevett being complete hasbeen disasters and it took Pulis to bring in a few players of the required standard.BW didn't merit some of the crap thrown at him though,especially from some influences at a high level within the club apparently.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday   Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday EmptyWed Mar 03, 2021 11:21 pm

I imagine Donny salary would be 150k Wednesday surely would be 600+
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday   Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday EmptyThu Mar 04, 2021 9:10 am

Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

i recall the team were losing and in danger of losing out to qpr for the title so bobby did enough to get us over the line and no one gave  a shit after that for the rest of the season cause we just one the division 2 the last winners of that under that name.  
He certainly didnt succeed the next season due to many matters on and off the pitch so yes i would say he was a flopb for that.  i don't think he helped himself with comments like players don't need coaching when we were so out of sorts, losing and players not trying and definitely didnt help in the eyes of his fanclub on pasoti that where making up stories about him being a drunk and thrown out of pubs Laughing

but off topic or back on topic which ever one it is the radio guy made mention that darren moore was runner up to lowe for the job here  i dont recall him being in the running back then does anyone else?

Didn't hear anything about Moore,not sure that he would have left Doncaster for Argyle anyway.

Back on/off topic again,remember Williamson saying in an interview long after he had been sacked that he tried to sign Lilian Nalis and also had a  deal lined up to get Leroy Lita from Bristol City but the board put the kybosh on it because of the wages,which would figure.Bobby made some good signings in Doumbe,Crawford,Buzz,Blackstock and Dodd to keep us in the CCC but the following summers intake wasn't so good,West and Brevett being complete hasbeen disasters and it took Pulis to bring in a few players of the required standard.BW didn't merit some of the crap thrown at him though,especially from some influences at a high level within the club apparently.

that was the guy leroy lita thankyou he was quite good at the time for what i recall of him and Nalis was another player too. I dont remember which manager out of Pulis and Holloway that had Carl Fletcher lined up before staplewallet vetoed that one before his friend went on to sign him.

As for Moore he was unemployed at the time and joined Doncaster after we hired Lowe.

edited to add

i felt so bad for rufus brevett he had the worst of times at this club on and off the pitch he was a very nice guy and he was only signed to be cover and competition to peter gilbert who threw a spanner in the works by demanding to move on to bigger and better things (how did that work out pete?) and he ended up being first choice with no one else bar barness able to play there. Shouldnt have been signed agreed and as for West lol who ever did his medical needs shooting 31 indeed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday   Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday EmptyThu Mar 04, 2021 8:34 pm

I think at the time it was Moore’s wife pushing for him to get the Argyle gig as I thought she was from the West Country
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday   Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday EmptyFri Mar 05, 2021 10:52 am

Taribo West lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday   Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday Empty

Back to top Go down

Doncaster boss quits for Sheffield Wednesday
Page 1 of 1