Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!

Go down 
+7
seadog
RegGreen
mouldyoldgoat
harvetheslayer
Greenskin
VillageGreen
Dog Bone Malone
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 17, 2021 10:38 am

Lifted from Plymouth Old Pictures group. Question was asked what year with a response of 1920's

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 20, 2021 7:10 pm

Freathy wrote:
Typical Plymouth having a tiny pier.  Obviously everything was done on the cheap back then also.  

PCC should really look at building a new pier perhaps similar to the ones in Weston-Super-Mare , Eastbourne, Bournemouth et al.  I am sure it would bring in a decent cash flow.

By all accounts the pier in Weston-Super-Mare held concerts by certain stars and bands before Covid-19 struck.
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptySat Feb 06, 2021 10:27 am

As far as I'm aware. This is the only picture out there of someone actually standing on the temporary suspension bridge built for local traffic, farmers and construction workers prior to the flooding of the valley and the building of Burrator reservoir commencing. Note Sheepstor in the background and fields or open moorland to the left of the bridge railings - which is now obviously water!

Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 12:42 pm

A rare one indeed.

Concorde flying up the Hamoaze during an air show in, what I would hazard a guess at sometime in the 80's

Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 2:27 pm

Freathy wrote:
Typical Plymouth having a tiny pier.  Obviously everything was done on the cheap back then also.  

Much bigger and it would encroach on the main channel into Devonport.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 02, 2021 2:29 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Freathy wrote:

PCC should really look at building a new pier perhaps similar to the ones in Weston-Super-Mare , Eastbourne, Bournemouth et al.  I am sure it would bring in a decent cash flow.

By all accounts the pier in Weston-Super-Mare held concerts by certain stars and bands before Covid-19 struck.

Big enough to take Cruise ships.
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 8:47 am

A few old Argo pics.

1920's football special

1912 Team Photo

Early 1900's HP
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 9:40 am

My Gran told me that the trams were deadly as they didn't make a lot of noise, a neighbour of hers was run over and killed by one.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 14, 2021 9:44 am

POI wrote:
A rare one indeed.

Concorde flying up the Hamoaze during an air show in, what I would hazard a guess at sometime in the 80's

I remember Concorde flying over Braunton when they did the Chivenor Air Show which I reckon was about mid seventies. I remember it coming in low over the Pill (a river) at the end of Chivenor then steeply climbing like a rocket and we heard the sonic booms as it went off into the distance. As a young bhey I was pretty amazed by the size and noise of it all. I wonder if it went on to Plymouth after that?
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 07, 2022 12:59 pm

Can you name these grounds? Laughing

Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2022 1:19 pm

Motorbike racing at HP - 1902. Shocked

Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2022 6:06 pm

I can remember the sound of the speedway.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2022 7:27 pm

My old man was telling me about going Dog racing with Ivor Dewdney I guess would have been in the fifties at a track down by pennycome quick where the speedway was. I can't say I remember a dog track in Plymouth anybody has any memories?
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 24, 2022 7:37 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
My old man was telling me about going Dog racing with Ivor Dewdney I guess would have been in the fifties at a track down by pennycome quick where the speedway was. I can't say I remember a dog track in Plymouth anybody has any memories?

Pretty sure there was a dog track at Pennycross
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2022 8:04 am

I think Pennycross stadium was used for speedway and dog racing. Obvs no memories, but I do seem to remember as a kid some sort of ramshackle stadium/building behind the Cherry Tree pub. I'm not sure when it was taken down.
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2022 8:14 am

After a little butchers into smoogle - It was built in 1928. Closed in 1970 and demolished in the early 70's. So I reckon that's what I remember.

It was used for speedway, stock car racing, dog racing and had a golf range! Who knew?

Fleetwood Mac even played there in 1969! Rock

Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2022 9:04 am

Good work POI, [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Wiki page on the stadium, it was built near Pennycross Village lol. By the sounds of it the stadium was completely surrounded by fields when it was built, also Honicknowle would have been a village well outside town back then. My old man lived in Crownhill after the war in that row of houses opposite Crownhill Fort where you used to turn off for the Marines swimming pool (Seaton Barracks) he said that Crownhill was well outside of Plymouth with green fields all around them then.
His parents lived at Plympton village between the wars and again that was miles from town they said it was lovely back then, amazing amount of sprawl in 100 years.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2022 10:12 am

They had pony racing at Pennycross as well and i may be wrong but some bell is ringing that Plymouth City FC used to play there as well.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2022 2:05 pm

Greenskin wrote:
They had pony racing at Pennycross as well and i may be wrong but some bell is ringing that Plymouth City FC used to play there as well.

They certainly did.

Remember going for the Speedway. Have a feeling that Bob Coles(?) was the star rider and went on to race for Exeter.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 25, 2022 5:29 pm

Rod Mason, saw him a few times in the Millbridge with my Mum and Dad.
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 27, 2022 8:57 pm

We moan about segregation!

This is how the OB dealt with it in the 1927 cup final. Cardiff V Arsenal. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 27, 2022 10:09 pm

Underneath that crowd is a veritable sea of whippets.
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 28, 2022 7:19 am

With some of those crowds in the early 30'3 and 40's, I'm amazed there was never another Ibrox or Hillsborough disaster back in the day.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 28, 2022 8:20 am

POI wrote:
With some of those crowds in the early 30'3 and 40's, I'm amazed there was never another Ibrox or Hillsborough disaster back in the day.

To get that crowd into HP you'd have to open the gates about four days early.
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 07, 2022 7:55 pm

Sitting in the sun on Plymouth Pier!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!   Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Just to pass a little time...........if you're bored!
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next