Rickler
akagreengull
Freathy
Earwegoagain
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Promotion written off already Empty
PostSubject: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptyThu Dec 19, 2019 5:14 pm

Don't expect any transfer activity in the window because its a "waste of money". Never mind we might actually need a couple in, its unlikely to happen.

Hallett in the Herald wrote:
Plymouth Argyle owner and chairman Simon Hallett reckons January transfer window spending on players is usually a waste of money.

The United States-based businessman has data analytics to back up his belief.

However, Hallett has not ruled out giving Pilgrims’ boss Ryan Lowe some funds to strengthen his squad next month.

It would only be done so provided certain evidence-based conditions were met.

Hallett said: “It will be down to Ryan and the football people to make proposals and we will look at them, the same as last year.

“Our core belief is that spending in the January transfer window is usually ineffective.

“The data shows that very clearly. Teams tend to overpay for players who have got strong recent performance who then revert to their more usual mediocrity.

“I think there is some statistic that players transferred in the January window play on average 40 or 45 minutes a game.

“So, on average, January transfers are not successful.

“There is going to have to be a strong evidence-based case for the need for a replacement, for the particular replacement player and for what he is worth.

“But, as last year, we will look at anything that is put to us,” he added.

Hallett would give the go-ahead to a deal in January provided his evidence-based case criteria were met.

“One of the things we are doing with Neil Dewsnip (Argyle’s director of football) is trying to get more evidence base.

“Most teams that try to introduce more rigorous use of data analytics face opposition from certain constituents in the club.

“But at a meeting we had with a data analytics provider (on Wednesday) we had four members of the board, the chairman, CEO, the first team manager and his assistant, and the director of football.

“That is almost unique. Talk to any of these data analytic companies and they spend the first two years trying to persuade people that it’s worth considering the facts.”

Hallett has injected vast sums of money into Argyle, notably the £8 million-plus Mayflower Grandstand, but remains committed to the club becoming financially sustainable.

Hallett said: “I have spent a lot of money on Argyle. My goal and the board’s goal is that we be financially sustainable.

“You can generate financial sustainability by injecting money in, which I’m not going to do forever.

“You can do it by generating more commercial revenue, like we are doing with the Mayflower Grandstand facilities.

“And you can do it by generating more revenue relative to your competitors from your academy, and through buying players cleverly, improving them and selling them on.

“We hope to get better at all of those. Argyle has not been good at generating player revenues.

“We have generated quite a lot this year from the (Freddie) Ladapo transfer and a sell-on from Sam Gallagher, but that is the first time for a long time.

“We recognise that is always going to be lumpy, but we want more of that.

“One of our goals, now that we have got the grandstand out of the way, is to think about the academy and what our players are worth

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Hugh Watt on Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptyThu Dec 19, 2019 5:47 pm

I've been saying the same since the start of the season, I agree with Hallett for once.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptyThu Dec 19, 2019 6:51 pm

It would take more than a couple of additions in January to get this 'team' anywhere near promotion ready. We'll be in this appalling division for a few years yet. By the time we get promoted again Lowe will be long gone.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptyThu Dec 19, 2019 6:58 pm

Wonder how RL feels about Hallett's statement?
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptyThu Dec 19, 2019 8:11 pm

akagreengull wrote:
Wonder how RL feels about Hallett's statement?

I expect RL has known Simon Hallett's viewpoint since about ten minutes after his job interview started.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptyThu Dec 19, 2019 8:43 pm

Great message to the supporters, I won't be wasting my time and money, thanks for the heads up Simon.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptyThu Dec 19, 2019 9:06 pm

So same back three and ineffective strike force then.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptyFri Dec 20, 2019 5:58 am

Jesus wept Guys wise up. RL reports in January that Hallett has now funded additional players and Simons stock value subsequently rises even further.
Whether its purchases or loans we'll have incoming and doubtless outgoing. Clear from Halletts statement that nobody should be expecting big signings though
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptyFri Dec 20, 2019 7:57 pm

Hallett's right of course. Liverpool really dropped a bollock getting Van Dyke in mid season.

Typical American moneyball cobblers.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptySat Dec 21, 2019 10:02 am

Grovehill wrote:
Hallett's right of course. Liverpool really dropped a bollock getting Van Dyke in mid season.

Geez Grovey. You really do have to a special kind of bitter twisted blinkered miserable fooker to not recognise Hallett is benefiting Argyle in a pretty substantial way.

Humbug.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptySat Dec 21, 2019 10:21 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

Geez Grovey. You really do have to a special kind of bitter twisted blinkered miserable fooker to not recognise Hallett is benefiting Argyle in a pretty substantial way.

Humbug.

Bring back the mid devon messiah.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptySat Dec 21, 2019 9:51 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
Don't expect any transfer activity in the window because its a "waste of money". Never mind we might actually need a couple in, its unlikely to happen.

Is it?  

Argyle have Ryan Lowe's wish list regarding his needs and have been on the case for several weeks, already having identified several players and are now talking with those clubs.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptySun Dec 22, 2019 8:29 am

According to Bury FC website there's still four first team players left on Bury's books. Must have crossed Lowe's mind at least. Harry Bunn up front?
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptySun Dec 22, 2019 9:15 am

I think there will be at least a couple of loanees in, definitely been some tweaking of the squad although barring injuries the defence will probably stay consistent given the stats which so far are pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Innocent Egbunike

Innocent Egbunike

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptySun Dec 22, 2019 9:55 am

There is nothing controversial in what SH is saying. It’s simply dragging us into the 21st century. Data drives everything now, at least to some degree.

The example of Van Dijk simply proves the point - he was probably a top 5 defender, statistically, when they signed him.

Hallett isn’t saying no signings, he’s simply saying he wants Lowe and co to intelligently show what that player is going to bring.

I don’t think we’re far off. Would certainly back us for a comfortable play-off spot.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptySun Dec 22, 2019 7:31 pm

Innocent Egbunike wrote:
There is nothing controversial in what SH is saying. It’s simply dragging us into the 21st century. Data drives everything now, at least to some degree.

The example of Van Dijk simply proves the point - he was probably a top 5 defender, statistically, when they signed him.

Hallett isn’t saying no signings, he’s simply saying he wants Lowe and co to intelligently show what that player is going to bring.

I don’t think we’re far off. Would certainly back us for a comfortable play-off spot.

I agree to that too.

It is just the case of will it be this season, or next - I am going on the lines of Sturrock MKI.

Looking at the table as it stands, some of those top teams are bound to have a wobble as the new year kicks in and on, sods law.

If Argyle can regain the early doors form, then this season could end well.

Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptySun Dec 22, 2019 7:48 pm

VillageGreen wrote:

It is just the case of will it be this season, or next

Can you imagine if Exeter go up and we don't?

There be 'ell on bhey.

First time ever they played in a division above us...
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptyMon Dec 23, 2019 10:25 am

Rickler wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:

There be 'ell on bhey.

I'd say the odds are pretty good for it myself. We should be a shoe in for a playoff place now unless we keep up our knack of literally slipping on any banana skins we can find. Then of course if we reach the playoff we'd have to turn up for three games in a row. I'd not be too confident of his team.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptyMon Dec 23, 2019 10:29 am

Rickler wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:

There be 'ell on bhey.

i believe they where in league one when we where relegated into league two whilst under administration..
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptyMon Dec 23, 2019 4:08 pm

Rickler wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:

There be 'ell on bhey.

Yep a scary but realistic possibility, Shitty had a blip but currently don't show any signs of blowing promotion like they usually do.
I don't mind admitting I am an admirer of Matt Taylor, he has done a great job since Tossdale went.
I'ts great that ECFC and PAFC have relatively young managers getting their respective clubs playing "progressive football" - how refreshing!
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptyMon Dec 23, 2019 4:48 pm

Angry wrote:
Rickler wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:

There be 'ell on bhey.

i believe they where in league one when we where relegated into league two whilst under administration..

Correct I believe.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptyMon Dec 23, 2019 4:56 pm

Correct!
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptyWed Dec 25, 2019 5:12 am

Uh-oh!  A fly in the doomsayers ointment.

Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptyFri Jan 03, 2020 12:01 am

I don't think promotion will happen this season
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already EmptyFri Jan 03, 2020 10:27 am

Rickler wrote:
Uh-oh!  A fly in the doomsayers ointment.

"We have one deal agreed in principle"

What a time to be alive.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Promotion written off already   Promotion written off already Empty

Back to top Go down

Promotion written off already
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next