Greenskin
Mock Cuncher
Earwegoagain
Czarcasm
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 12:04 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Mpenza was one of the best players I've seen at HP. What happened behind the scenes that stopped him playing was a mystery.
The weirdest of signings though has to be Taribo West we could all see he was about fifty why couldn't the management?

Absolutely he was a fantastic player, head and shoulders above anyone we had at that time. I don’t know what went on either, one of the players at that time told me they only met him twice in 3 months. I wonder if he ever took Luggy to court like he said he was going to lol!
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 12:22 pm

It was Cardiff at home where he made his debut I believe we were 1 3 down and Mpenza came on as sub and banged 2 straight in power he had a foot like a traction engine . I remember getting stuck in the car park with loads of holies rocking the land rover I had at the time . Me and my mates started handing round crowbars and hammers from the toolbag in the back and it was like the parting of the red sea. Horrible bunch.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 12:22 pm

It was Cardiff at home where he made his debut I believe we were 1 3 down and Mpenza came on as sub and banged 2 straight in power he had a foot like a traction engine . I remember getting stuck in the car park with loads of holies rocking the land rover I had at the time . Me and my mates started handing round crowbars and hammers from the toolbag in the back and it was like the parting of the red sea. Horrible bunch.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 12:23 pm

Feck knows how that happened?
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 12:44 pm

Thought Gallagher was quality tbh, football eh.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 5:02 pm

beesrus wrote:
Still, Luggy's been given a role where he can't do any more damage. Chief scout for Dundee United.
I'm sure Blair could do a job for them, he's only 36 years old. LOL
Thought lionel blair was in his 70s now laugh
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 5:21 pm

issac vassell!!!!!

another who had talent yet was a lazy fecker here.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 6:59 pm

RegGreen wrote:
beesrus wrote:
Still, Luggy's been given a role where he can't do any more damage. Chief scout for Dundee United.

Half time guest yesterday [Blair Sturrock that is, not Lionel] along with Leigh Cooper. Lives in Canada now, runs some sort of coaching school there. Seem to remember he did quite well somewhere after he left Argyle and was a very good golfer, not much else though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 7:30 pm

Greenskin wrote:
RegGreen wrote:
beesrus wrote:

Half time guest yesterday [Blair Sturrock that is, not Lionel] along with Leigh Cooper. Lives in Canada now, runs some sort of coaching school there. Seem to remember he did quite well somewhere after he left Argyle and was a very good golfer, not much else though.

Did he ? he went on to play for Swindon and Southend, and little else .... guess who was the manager at those clubs.  flower
Nice to have a personal sponsor, and just illustrates  Barnes' point  in how getting on with the manager is 80% of the gig in lower league playing journeyman circles, as long as you can run for 90 minutes and string a couple of passes together. Stringing sentences together, of course, optional.

I seriously believe there are a lot of ex-player wide boy managers out there that really don't like the young bloods, and take perverse pleasure in blunting their cut, almost animal-like. It happens in life.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 8:08 pm

beesrus wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
RegGreen wrote:
beesrus wrote:

Did he ? he went on to play for Swindon and Southend, and little else .... guess who was the manager at those clubs.  flower
Nice to have a personal sponsor, and just illustrates  Barnes' point  in how getting on with the manager is 80% of the gig in lower league playing journeyman circles, as long as you can run for 90 minutes and string a couple of passes together. Stringing sentences together, of course, optional.

I seriously believe there are a lot of ex-player wide boy managers out there that really don't like the young bloods, and take perverse pleasure in blunting their cut, almost animal-like. It happens in life.

Kidderminster and Rochdale before those clubs, a dozen goals in 50 matches, not terrible, not good, just bang average. Not that it really bothers me either way TBH, it was just a casual comment on a distant memory.

Intriguing comments about the wide boy managers. Not sure who would qualify as being one of that type but it does strike me as being a bit odd that any manager would jeopardise his own career, which obviously depends on results, by "blunting the cut" of someone merely because the happen to be young. No doubt it does happen in other walks of life but football is rather different in that a managers actions and consequences are there to be judged in a very public way-why would a manager cut off his nose to spite his face in that way if he had a young player on his books who was genuinely good enough to make the grade?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 8:49 pm

In my experience with league managers and ex-pro players, some of them can be an absolute nightmare, Cliff Jackson for one, ego the size of Saturn who really didn't like kids taking the limelight off him. It's no big deal, but in a testosterone filled macho environment, you'ld be amazed jusy how nasty some ageing characters can be to young guys, and that's before we even get into the likes of Bennell, although the fact he got away with it so long, just shows how youngsters were viewed at many clubs. It's a boot room, it's a matelot beneath decks routine. I told them to stuff it at Torquay.
The manager of the day rules the roost, what he says goes, until he gets the heave ho, that's how it is.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 8:57 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
Angry wrote:
mcfry wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:
Angry wrote:
its a pity we didnt get rid of that decaying dinosaur luggy sooner given some of the talent we had that he couldnt see or refuse to play.

It was a pity he came to us in the first place. Just showed how painfully out of his depth Stapleton was that he was desperate to get him back refusing to countenance other candidates. It was the backward step that led to all this nonsense we have had over the last 8 years. The sort of Journeymen Scottish footballers that might have done a job in the basement wasn't the correct approach in the Championship, Instead we stuck to the same approach as we always did, 1 up front away home however we were playing. Shite like Clarke, Patterson playing week in week out, talented players left to rot, falling out with players on weekly basis and then putting them on the 'transfer list' knowing full well no one else wanted them, a squad of 30 shit players....

Southampton should have been a neon sign to Staplewallet that Luggy was out of his depth in he higher leagues. Lower leagues you can get awway with signing injury prone players that barely played in 2 years not the championship. Its no wonder he lost alot of the dressing room.

And yet his record for Southampton was better than most of their managers including the worshipped Strachan. I do agree that the second term was not good but isn't hindsight a great thing.

he pissed off alot of people behind the scenes not just the players and almost faced an all out mutiny due to his out of date coaching and management methods despite his results on the pitch. He only came back the second time due to fans continually living in the past like historians and staplewallet being his mate and was pining for his return even when he had pulis and hollowords here. i dont think he did that well with wednesday when he took them up into the championship hence why they got shot even after giving him a new 4 year contract a few weeks previous so thats another sign he shouldnt have returned.

I could see a mile off that Sturrock MK II was going to a pile of wank at the time.

Well done
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 9:01 pm

Greenskin wrote:
beesrus wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:
Signing Yoann Folly to replace the better Jimmy Abdou wasn’t the best move either.

Spent more time in the treatment room than on the pitch.

I think out of all of Luggy mark 2 signings Jamie Mackie was the only one that was half decent. Another who exceeded expectations elsewhere and went on to bigger things.

There was also Noone, Bolasie, Arneson and Wright Phillips-you have to say in Sturrocks defence that Argyle may well have had sufficient fire power to stay up if the latter had not sustained a long term injury in some idiotic pre season friendly, exactly the same scenario as Bickle in 1967/68. Gallagher,Judge and Anderson were also decent loan signings which kept the wolf from the door for a while.

Bolasie was hopeless for us, as was the ever busy, doing nothing Judge. And Anderson caused the fall out with Seip when he was no better a player. Like it or not, Luggy seemed to have a thing with most of the favourites from Holloway, there was almost a palpable feeling of territorial competition with Holloway's memory. I've always assumed it was this background dressing room split that caused the disaster that followed.
Galagher promised, but didn't really deliver on his reputation, but Arnason and Noone  I liked. I also really liked the ex Wigan winger too that used to feed Ellington and Roberts, the blond guy, he was always a good player, but he was a short term loan and not committed. You've got to get some right. Good managers get 90% right. Luggy's spell was a disater, and left the club with a massive underperforming squad on big wages. Still, wasn't his money, and Todd was busy gambling on a golden egg.... "another player Paul ? how much a week ? ah, go on".

Bolasie was mercurial, not hopeless. Sometimes the genius, other times the last pick in the school playground team, totally infuriating player admittedly. Seem to remember you disparaging Judge on numerous previous occasions but I thought he was a decent player and his record at championship level since would seem to bear that out. On the other hand, i didn't rate Teale at all, thought he was crap-the only thing he did for us was to supply a decent cross or two for Fallon when Argyle won at Bristol City. Game of opinions in the end.

Bolasie was çlass had he played earlier that season we would have not been relegated fromntg championship
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3