Tgwu
Bronxbomber
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bronxbomber

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 4:31 pm

I posted a couple of months ago asking the best way to get from Torquay to Plymouth for the Wigan game on the 20th Jan I along with a few other hardy souls will be staying in Torquay for the weekend and will be traveling to the game on Saturday by public transport. I was advised that the best way was by train. I have just seen that there are no trains from Newton Abbot and there is a replacement bus service instead. Is it still the best way to get to Plymouth, or is it better to catch a bus directly from Torquay?
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 4:48 pm

Catch the Stagecoach Gold bus service, Torquay to Plymouth, every half hour. From  Torquay habour  (outside debenhams) to Plymouth Centre then ten mins walk to home park.

You can catch it at every bus stop from the harbour along the sea front to Paignton if it is easier for you.

Stagecoach Gold is a luxury bus service available at no extra cost.

Our blue and gold buses have leather seats, extra legroom, friendly and welcoming drivers and even free Wi-Fi
Takes around 1hr40mins
Back to top Go down

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 5:20 pm

Buses substitute the trains so if it was myself I would book my train ticket for whatever time suits you, as the buses will mimic the train timetables.
Back to top Go down

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 5:32 pm

The Gold bus service is a good one. A bit slow but very reliable, unlike the trains.A good view from the top deck.
I don't know how fast TG walks, but it will take you 25 minutes to walk from the city centre through the park to Home Park, not 10 minutes. Gently uphill, but down on the way back. Plenty of city busses obviously go to the ground from the city centre if you can't be bothered to walk.
The last thing I would recommend is a bus replacement for a train. Anyone caught at a rail station with too many passengers vying for the first bus is not a pleasant experience. There are next to no trains over the new year from Totnes to Plymouth. The rail price is about a fiver return, the rail bus substitute was quoted last night online at about £30 !! Mad, incorrect obviously and not confidence building. Basically, at the moment there are some ongoing strikes going on, lots of maintenance etc, and trains are a bit all over the place. I like the evening rail service around Devon, but half the trains have been late by quite some time recently. Can't see it changing much in the next few weeks.
Back to top Go down

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 6:52 pm

Well each to his own I suppose and I know which option I would opt for, but any action by the rail unions would not affect a bus replacement service and as our Wigan supporter is not travelling until January 20th the new Year positioning of rolling stock would be irrelevant, also the rail ticket cost would apply to travelling by the bus replacement service which probably ought to be compared to procuring a stand alone bus ticket in case there’s any financial benefit for either option.

Either way you’ll get there alright but I really hope you have a crap afternoon at HP but you enjoy the rest of your weekend, I lived in Torquay for 15 years and it’s not a bad place for weekend away.

Catch the 12-18 only one change at NA then bus substitute from NA
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptySun Dec 31, 2017 11:38 pm

Think we will lose.
Back to top Go down
Bronxbomber

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 11:08 am

Thanks for all the replies
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyMon Jan 01, 2018 12:44 pm

I will pick you up if you like?

10am outside WHSmiths?
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Bronxbomber

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 5:10 pm

Hi Mock just seen this post but there will be 2 maybe 3 of us. Thanks for the kind offer anyway
The problem we have is getting back to Torquay before 8.00pm as that is the last order for evening meal in the hotel. I see that there is a train( Bus) leaves Plymouth at around 5. 25pm will we be able to make it from the ground to the railway station in time, or will we need to leave the game early?
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 5:23 pm

This will be an interesting, but tough game. Two unbeaten sides clashing horns.

Draw or a slender 1-0.
Back to top Go down
Bronxbomber

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 5:26 pm

How far is the ground from the railway station? can we walk it in say 20 mins as we will need to catch the 5.25 train
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 5:28 pm

From ground guide

Plymouth Argyle's Home Park Stadium to the railway station is about one and a half miles away from the ground and takes approximately 15 minutes by foot.
Back to top Go down
Bronxbomber

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 5:31 pm

Thanks for your quick replies are there buses that run from the ground to the station? Looked on Google maps and it looks like you can more or less walk to the ground through a park? is this the most direct route?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 5:32 pm

Bronxbomber wrote:
How far is the ground from the railway station? can we walk it in say 20 mins as we will need to catch the  5.25 train

Should be able to do it in 15 minutes given a swift exit from the away end-downhill all the way through Central park and the station is easily visible. Break into a trot and catching the 5.25 with a bit of time to spare should be no problem.
Back to top Go down

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 5:36 pm

as Greenskin says, No reason why you cant make the 5.25, probably quicker to walk than wait around for a bus.
Back to top Go down

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 5:42 pm

Seeing as my mirthometer sounded long ago, may I suggest ditching your hotel evening meal and dining with Al Fresco. Or do you have a penalty clause in your contract ? cat
Back to top Go down

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 5:43 pm

You'll be able to leave at 4.30 to walk to the station because you'll be too far behind so 'you might as well go home!' lol!
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 7:41 pm

Bronxbomber wrote:
Thanks for your quick replies are there buses that run from the ground to the station? Looked on Google maps and it looks like you can more or less walk to the ground through a park? is this the most direct route?

As long as u are out of the ground and walking by 5pm you will make the 5.25 easily.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 10:05 pm

3-0 win over Bournemouth tonight.

Bleddy ol' 'ell.
Back to top Go down
Bronxbomber

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 10:12 pm

Thanks for all the comments, just got back home from the game soaked... A richly deserved win with our second string team. I hope it's drier on Saturday than it is here tonight.
Chapeaux to all the Cherries fans who made the trip
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 10:43 pm

I got room in the old lovewagon fer 3 stoat men from Wigan. I will give you a ride? 10am at WHSmiths fore shore? That line has never failed to pick up a honey before?
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Bronxbomber

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 10:53 pm

Hi mock thanks can you send me your mobile number and I'll give you a call on Friday evening when we arrive in Torquay to sort things out, you can email it to me at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] We aren't young kids we are all retired or nearly retired but we aren't OLD MEN L.O.L. We are staying at the Torbay Hotel is that near to SMITHS?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyWed Jan 17, 2018 11:24 pm

My advice is to get a bus. They are very frequent.

It's a tidier walk than it looks. If you are in your prime then 20 minutes is loads but if you ain't...

Get a bus opposite Milehouse Bus Depot/The Brittania. Whichever one comes along it'll drop you right outside the station. Cheap as chips and as reliable as could be.

Don't hang around though because whatever you decide to do time will be tight.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 7:36 am

Bronxbomber wrote:
Hi mock thanks can you send me your mobile number and I'll give you a call on Friday evening when we arrive in Torquay  to sort things out, you can email it to me at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] We aren't young kids we are all retired or nearly retired but we aren't OLD MEN L.O.L. We are staying at the Torbay Hotel is that near to SMITHS?

I worked at the Torbay Hotel years ago, food was bleddy awful for all the old dears coach parties. Laughing

We did have an awesome xmas staff party though.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 8:57 am

If you cannot take up the lift offer, the gold bus to Plymouth stops out side your hotel. every half hour.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Plymouth v Wigan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth v Wigan   Plymouth v Wigan Empty

Back to top Go down

Plymouth v Wigan
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next