sufferedsince 68
Les Miserable
Freathy
Tgwu
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage

Grimsby match special - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grimsby match special   Grimsby match special - Page 5 EmptySun May 07, 2017 6:44 pm

Elias wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Feck me can't this website just enjoy promotion for a day so without all the usual bollox being spouted.

we just chuc ked away a chance of silverware and you think thats bollox jesus wept.

Jesus wept when he was nailed to the cross, not drawing a football match.
No the bollox is the reverting to type cos that appears to be the thing to do, rather than appreciating we've finished equal top on points, so your pot can be half empty if you want, my feckers half full for a few weeks with the glorious thought that L1 awaits us Thumbs
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Grimsby match special   Grimsby match special - Page 5 EmptySun May 07, 2017 7:14 pm

Freathy wrote:
Our crap goal difference is a major disadvantage today

And so it came to pass with Pompey's invisible extra point winning the day. It's all decided over a season of 46 games and eventually the best team emerges at the top and that was Pompey.

It was also indicative of the complaints that have raised their heads all season: we have been too negative too often. Pompey ended up scoring more goals than us and had a better goal difference. Attacking football emerged victorious over obdurate defence. Well payed and well done, Pompey! Ya bastards.

That said I'm gutted. Forgive me for feeling a little down but the scenes of celebration, fun though they were, were a bit forced compared to the explosion of joy that followed the win at Crawley or the braingasm that the Newport game ended up being.

Of course we should celebrate and enjoy the promotion and I have and I did and I will continue to tear the arse out of it for as long as I can and of course only the promotion matters and yesterday wasn't the whole empty, horrible, flat occasion that losing at Wembley last year was but nor was it the release of tension and exuberant celebration that winning at Wembley was in '96.

No matter how you cut it yesterday was a bit of a bummer. It wasn't the whole bummer and it wasn't even mostly bummer but there was some bummerness in the mix and you'd be in denial not to accept that.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Grimsby match special   Grimsby match special - Page 5 EmptySun May 07, 2017 8:53 pm

It's been a poor league this season where 78 points would have got you automatic promotion. With just 5 games remaining Pompey made up 13 points on Doncaster and 7 points on us.
I agree about how Adams' negative approach has cost us the title.
I can't see him changing his style for league one.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Grimsby match special   Grimsby match special - Page 5 EmptyMon May 08, 2017 8:26 am

Clearly not winning the title is affecting people in different ways on this forum.
All season long I couldn't give a toss if we had come
First, second or third as long as we move up.
The main concern is that the club have a plan to do the same again in league 1 there is no reason with an improved squad and the retention of Adams that argyle can challenge again in a higher league.
However just heard the shysters gloomy down beat voice on radio Devon talking with sparksy.
It's all about keeping it all steady and planning to be competitive (whatever that means) with him, I don't think he has a shred of ambition to take the club forward to the championship, he is already making noises about the cost of wages in the higher leagues.
So reality is PAFC will aim to languish in league 1 until for a few seasons until we struggle maybe due to manager change and back down the ladder.
So enjoy the moment of glory while you can but  unless something changes,  this club is going nowhere in the longer term under the current set up.
LACK OF AMBITION AT THE TOP AND A COMPLIANT FANBASE WILL NOT BRING FURTHER SUCCESS :Suicide: deadhorse
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Grimsby match special   Grimsby match special - Page 5 EmptyMon May 08, 2017 12:46 pm

Targets are just that: targets.

It doesn't really matter whether you hit them or not because they are just an arbitrary benchmark for expectation and as reality takes over from hypothesis the targets change.

At the start of a season the first target has to be [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: avoid relegation. Once that is achieved, if that is achieved, it becomes [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: Get a play-off spot. Once that is achieved, if etc, it becomes automatic promotion. Once that is achieved, if etc, it becomes [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]: win the division.

The expectation is important though because it reveals a mindset. Anybody that espouses the 3 targets above is just avoiding the issue because those targets are inane, vague, universal. After that there has to be a genuine realisation of what may be achieveable but disclosing these, unless they are all-conquering, is ill-advised because if you are not trying to win the competition what is the point of being in it?

So I don't really care for or believe in anything the club says about targets. Whatever the statement of intent it is just column filler for the local media and PR.

Next season I expect us to be going balls-out to win the title and having seen the spirit engendered in the squad by Adams I don't expect to be disappointed by either him or the players.

Argyle right now is in the envious position of having a manger that gets it done, players that'll bust a gut to get it done, supporters who are desperate to get it done, some money in the bank and, perhaps most precious of all, momentum.

The cards in James Brent's hand could hardly be better the limiting factor here is how he decides to play them.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Grimsby match special   Grimsby match special - Page 5 EmptyMon May 08, 2017 8:59 pm

Brent has not given any indication that he is gearing the board up to aim for promotion in the coming season.
The lack of ambition pervades the club still, I don't think fans are completely up for it either, I have had or heard conversations recently from fans who believe the team should consolidate in league 1 for a season or two first.
As always we will see, believe me I would love the board to come out and make an unequivocal statement of promotion intent.
But they won't.
cheers :pighug:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Grimsby match special   Grimsby match special - Page 5 EmptyTue May 09, 2017 4:17 pm

Graiser wrote:
Elias wrote:
Graiser wrote:
Feck me can't this website just enjoy promotion for a day so without all the usual bollox being spouted.

we just chuc ked away a chance of silverware and you think thats bollox jesus wept.

Jesus wept when he was nailed to the cross, not drawing a football match.
No the bollox is the reverting to type cos that appears to be the thing to do, rather than appreciating we've finished equal top on points, so your pot can be half empty if you want, my feckers half full for a few weeks with the glorious thought that L1 awaits us Thumbs

Have you not heard the expression 'Jesus wept' before? It is used to express exasperation/disbelief.

If you look at the number of trophies PAFC have actually won compared to the number of years the club has existed, it is pretty easy to understand the disappointment. In a lifetime of supporting Argyle, how many trophies are you likely to see the club win? 2? 3? 4? Viewed from that angle, missing out by so little is pretty gutting and people are allowed to express that without you butting in with your little agenda.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Grimsby match special   Grimsby match special - Page 5 EmptyTue May 09, 2017 4:48 pm

Two trophies proper in 45 years for me as a supporter. I was keen for us to win a third.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Grimsby match special   Grimsby match special - Page 5 EmptyTue May 09, 2017 8:53 pm

akagreengull wrote:
Clearly not winning the title is affecting people in different ways on this forum.
All season long I couldn't give a toss if we had come
First, second or third as long as we move up.
The main concern is that the club have a plan to do the same again in league 1 there is no reason with an improved squad and the retention of Adams that argyle can challenge again in a higher league.
However just heard the shysters gloomy down beat voice on radio Devon talking with sparksy.
It's all about keeping it all steady and planning to be competitive (whatever that means) with him, I don't think he has a shred of ambition to take the club forward to the championship, he is already making noises about the cost of wages in the higher leagues.
So reality is PAFC will aim to languish in league 1 until for a few seasons until we struggle maybe due to manager change and back down the ladder.
So enjoy the moment of glory while you can but  unless something changes,  this club is going nowhere in the longer term under the current set up.
LACK OF AMBITION AT THE TOP AND A COMPLIANT FANBASE WILL NOT BRING FURTHER SUCCESS :Suicide: deadhorse

i want argyle to win not celebrate second place 'glory'....... some on here so obviously didn't travel to Grimsby
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grimsby match special   Grimsby match special - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Grimsby match special
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5