HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How times have changed...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rickler

Rickler

How times have changed... Empty
PostSubject: How times have changed...   How times have changed... EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 7:08 am

How times have changed... In sport!

Reading the 'sporting heroes' thread got me to thinking...

Got to athletics and the name 'Daley Thompson' came up and it opened a floodgate of memories...

Firstly...
I remember him taking the pitch half time at Home Park when it was rumoured he was dating 'Sharron Davies' during the height of her fame... She was standing next to him and with microphone in hand and addressing a large captive audience, saying something along the lines of, "I just want to address the rumours... Sharrons lovely... but it's her mother I'm after!"

Next time was the 1984 Los Angeles Olympic games..

I had lived here about 18 months...

Carl Lewis was the American track and field hero and he came through big time for the USA. What was obvious and well known was that Carl was gay. Probably quite correctly, this was never really discussed in the media.

However.. The label of "The worlds greatest Athelete" was attached to Carl Lewis, and since Daley was billy big time in the decathlon, he used it to argue the cause that in fact 'he was'!

Nobody British who lives here will ever forget Daley taking off his Track suit top on TV and showing off a T-shirt that proclaimed "The worlds greatest athlete who isn't gay!"

Can you imagine that these days? You'd be thrown out of the games!

He also had another memorable 84 Olympic USA prime time TV moment --

When being questioned about his great rival Jurgen Hingsen's claim that he, the German, would be taking home the Decathlon gold medal... Daly replied, " Let me tell you... The only way he is taking home a gold medal is, if he enters another event, or he steals mine!" Daley prove to be right!

But personally... The icing on the cake was to come the following year!

I was back visiting friends in Crawley (how appropriate for today) where I had lived for a couple of years before leaving for the states..

I had arranged a game of Tennis with a good pal and was waiting for my court to open up on the council pay courts in Ifield, and who should be playing, but DaleyThomposn and his girlfriend, or a girl he wanted to impress, because they were tied six apiece in the set!

Considering, I reckon, I could have beaten her with my left hand, she was sure doing an amazing job going forehand to forehand with the "worlds greatest athelete!"

Anyway... Cognizant of the time, Daley looked over and asked if we minded if he finished a tie break!
"Of course not..." Who would want to miss the possibilty of the "worlds greatest' being beaten by a girl?

Why the tennis court money taker, that's who! Totally oblivious to anything, especially who Daley is, he arrives courtside, and in mid point shouts " Hey you... Times up.. Off!"

We just all look at each other and burst out laughing... I obviously make the offer to him to please feel free to keep playing, but the both of them laugh and give up the court. The attendant walks away, none the wiser about anything but pleased with his ability to 'run' things.

My friend and I got on with warming up as Daley and his lady friend took off, but before he went, I took the time to tell him how much fun he had made it to be a Brit during the LA games and to congratulate him on his achievements. I can't really remember what he said, but I remember it to be against 'type' as he was really humble.

To use much overused words and phrases, but in this case it's applicable...

A real legend and a real gent!

I will always wonder if he would have let his lady friend beat him?

Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: How times have changed...   How times have changed... EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 10:39 am

Great post.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: How times have changed...   How times have changed... EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 1:34 pm

Yeh.....nice one Ricks.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How times have changed...   How times have changed... Empty

Back to top Go down

How times have changed...
Page 1 of 1