Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

First Major News Story You Can Remember?

Go down 
+12
vincent_vega
zyph
Charlie Wood
hippo
Czarcasm
pepsipete
Hitch
Les Miserable
tigertony
mouldyoldgoat
Greenskin
Sir Francis Drake
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

First Major News Story You Can Remember? Empty
PostSubject: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 10:15 pm

I just saw this question posed on Twitter.

The first news thing I can remember is decimalisation. Spotlight came round to our school (Hyde Park) and interviewed me and a girl named Beverley Hoskins: "How many new pence makes a shilling?" and so on.

The footage pops up every now and then when the Beeb is trawling for old film... If it does again and you see it then I'm the little boy. Can't remember the year exactly but it was probably '71 because that's when it happened so I'd've been about 6 depending on the time of year it was filmed.

After that the '72 Munich Olympics.

So what's the first one you can remember?
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 10:22 pm

Munich plane crash for me, I was quite young, about 8 I think and I couldn't quite understand football players being killed, started me following Man U ever since
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 10:28 pm

Vaguely remember the JFK assassination and, much more clearly ,that of Bobby Kennedy. Also remember being fascinated by the term Vietcong-didn't have a clue what it meant but was fascinated nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 10:29 pm

Moon landing and the Beatles splitting up.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 10:56 pm

JFK. I can remember the babysitter screaming and running to her house to tell her parents (about 3 houses away) - not certain they had a tv.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 11:02 pm

Strangely, the Sex Pistols tour 76? ish. Not sure why it sticks in my mind but Plymouth was on their list of venues so I'd imagine the local tv and radio and the 'erald would've been creaming their pants as most of the gigs on the tour were cancelled due to their reputation for being the spawn of satan.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 11:04 pm

My "vietcong" was Lebanon/Beirut. Seemed to be on every news bulletin all the time but I had no idea what it was all about or even where they were. I wasn't so much fascinated as baffled as to why everybody was being so horrible to everybody else. I wouldn't like to even guess the year.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 11:06 pm

'76? The Drought. That long, long, hot, hot summer. It seemed endless.

The West Indies slaughtering England at an absolutely parched Oval is the only event I can tie to it though.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 11:08 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
My "vietcong" was Lebanon/Beirut. Seemed to be on every news bulletin all the time but I had no idea what it was all about or even where they were. I wasn't so much fascinated as baffled as to why everybody was being so horrible to everybody else. I wouldn't like to even guess the year.

I remember the news reporter in some hotel, the Hilton I think, with a gunman firing through a big hole in the wall and seeing the ruins of the city.

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 11:09 pm

There is something else in '76: Borg v Nastase at Wimbledon.

I was supporting Nastase and he was winning to start with. I had to go into town to the opticians to pick up my first ever spectacles and when I got home Borg had won.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 11:27 pm

Mick Jones of Leeds breaking his arm in the FA cup final in 1971 or 72 ???

Back to top Go down
Hitch

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyWed Jul 06, 2016 11:37 pm

The Aberfan disaster in '66 and the Torrey Canyon disaster the following year.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 12:06 am

mouldyoldgoat wrote:

'72.

'71 was Charlie George laying down and '73 was Liverpool v Newcastle.
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 4:29 am

The British army crossing the Rhine in 1945
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 6:28 am

i remember the 79 cup final between arsenal and man u, the biggest news event would be John Lennons assasination.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 7:08 am

pepsipete wrote:
The British army crossing the Rhine in 1945

Trumps the lot, that must have been something to behold
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 7:10 am

Street party for the Queens Silver Jubilee in '77.
Back to top Go down
hippo

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 7:17 am

The Falklands war.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 7:46 am

John Lemon assassination. (That's what I thought he was called at the time)
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 8:08 am

JFK for me as well, fecking annoying as the Beeb just had a picture of a vase of flowers and somber music all that evening. they may not have, of course, but that's what I remember.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 8:30 am

I would have been nearly ten at the time......the year would have been 1949..... the occasion was the announcement on the radio that the comedian Tommy Handley had died.....he had been well known for his radio show ITMA.....he had helped during the war years to keep a smile on listeners faces......why did I remember it.....because my mum burst into tears at the news.....and I had never seen her cry before.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 9:30 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
mouldyoldgoat wrote:

'72.

'71 was Charlie George laying down and '73 was Liverpool v Newcastle.

Right. I knew it was one or the other.

Thumbs

Back to top Go down
vincent_vega

vincent_vega

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptyThu Jul 07, 2016 4:55 pm

Miners Strikes. Buses getting bricked and the oil drum fires roaring.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 3:39 pm

Remember the 66 World Cup well so I was 6
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? EmptySat Jul 09, 2016 5:18 pm

I remember clearly the freezing winter of 1962/63.

There was snow for a number of months and the football league fixture list was decimated.

I also remember the Man Utd v Leicester Cup Final, Clay v Liston, Beatles v Stones and the Kennedy assassination.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Major News Story You Can Remember?   First Major News Story You Can Remember? Empty

Back to top Go down

First Major News Story You Can Remember?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next