Tgwu
RegGreen
mouldyoldgoat
Chancellor
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 8:28 am

Lord Biro wrote:
They'll still be in the wake of the Penzance and Newlyn Pirates in ten years time.

Not so sure, Chiefs attendances are propped up by a lot of Albion fans that go there to watch the better quality rugby, if Albion put good players on show the punters will turn up. I wonder how many "I bleed green" bleeders would sneak off to Sid James if they got to the prem? More than you'd think. People like success.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 9:46 am

The last rugby game I went to was Albion v Exeter at Beacon Park. Albion lost 5-6, I think. The game was played in pouring rain on a quagmire. Real Mud Monster stuff - it was impossible to tell one team from the other apart from the direction of their play. There was precious little to recommend the occasion other than the drinking (it was a buddy's 40th and he's a keen rugby fan) which was epic.

That game was played when Albion were on their way down and Exeter (yet to be "Chiefed" - what is that all about? Exeter has a proud Apache/Sioux/Cherokee* heritage does it?) were on their way up. There was a biggish crowd (maybe about 2000 or so) and a few, and I mean only a few, Exeter fans about the place.

Since then the relative merits of each club has been transformed so much so that I actually know a few people who travel up to watch the Chiefs once in a while which they never once would have. If you ask them why they go to support somebody other than Albion you get all the stock answers: "I just want to watch good quality rugby"; "it's a good day out"; "I was a guest at hospitality" etc.

Which is kind of puzzzling to me on a fan level. Are these people really fans of the team? Not particularly - not to start with anyway - but they still go, maybe not every week but go they do, up there.

After the recent Exeter game we eventually wound our way back to St David's some time after the game and went in the pub as we awaited our train back. The pub was fairly full with Chiefs fans on their way back to wherever so obviously they weren't citizens of Exeter which means that the rugby must be quite a draw with regards to pulling people into the city who otherwise might not be there.

I suppose the same applies to Somerset CCC. If you are in Plymouth where else is there to go other than Taunton to watch a bit a of good standard cricket should you want to?

*Why didn't they go for Gladiators, Centurions, Bishops or something?
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 9:58 am

It's a wierd one Franny and no mistake, is following football just more tribal? I'm not so sure, I know plenty of people in London that follow Dag and Red as their local team but then go and watch Spurs, Hammers or Chelski on a Saturday. I love an underdog which looks like keeping me following the greens for ever, and ever, and ever...
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 10:04 am

I have a friend of a friend who is an Arsenal season ticket holder. Has been for years. Trains it up there for every game. It must cost him a fortune but if you get an early train up to London on matchday it's surprising, to me at least, how many there are like him doing the same.

Rugby is less tribal. Much less. It is a completely different vibe. Not the same thing, or even vaguely similar, at all.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 10:17 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
The last rugby game I went to was Albion v Exeter at Beacon Park. Albion lost 5-6, I think. The game was played in pouring rain on a quagmire. Real Mud Monster stuff - it was impossible to tell one team from the other apart from the direction of their play. There was precious little to recommend the occasion other than the drinking (it was a buddy's 40th and he's a keen rugby fan) which was epic.

That game was played when Albion were on their way down and Exeter (yet to be "Chiefed" - what is that all about? Exeter has a proud Apache/Sioux/Cherokee* heritage does it?) were on their way up. There was a biggish crowd (maybe about 2000 or so) and a few, and I mean only a few, Exeter fans about the place.

Since then the relative merits of each club has been transformed so much so that I actually know a few people who travel up to watch the Chiefs once in a while which they never once would have. If you ask them why they go to support somebody other than Albion you get all the stock answers: "I just want to watch good quality rugby"; "it's a good day out"; "I was a guest at hospitality" etc.

Which is kind of puzzzling to me on a fan level. Are these people really fans of the team? Not particularly - not to start with anyway - but they still go, maybe not every week but go they do, up there.

After the recent Exeter game we eventually wound our way back to St David's some time after the game and went in the pub as we awaited our train back. The pub was fairly full with Chiefs fans on their way back to wherever so obviously they weren't citizens of Exeter which means that the rugby must be quite a draw with regards to pulling people into the city who otherwise might not be there.

I suppose the same applies to Somerset CCC. If you are in Plymouth where else is there to go other than Taunton to watch a bit a of good standard cricket should you want to?

*Why didn't they go for Gladiators, Centurions, Bishops, 6 toes or something?

clown

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  affraid

Now an officially semi retired old fart! bounce
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 4:36 pm

Angry wrote:
Chancellor wrote:
To give an analogy it would be a little bit like Warnock and Paladini taking over at HP Exclamation Question

so thats Gangsters in the boardroom and paddy kenny as prop then Laughing Laughing
lol!
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 4:48 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
I have a friend of a friend who is an Arsenal season ticket holder. Has been for years. Trains it up there for every game. It must cost him a fortune but if you get an early train up to London on matchday it's surprising, to me at least, how many there are like him doing the same.

Rugby is less tribal. Much less. It is a completely different vibe. Not the same thing, or even vaguely similar, at all.
absolutely loads doing that kinda trip my brother in law at chelsea sits next to a fella that slaps it up from torquay every home game never misses one and all the european away games
Back to top Go down
Chancellor

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 11:33 am

Hmm, not so sure about this now. Graham Dawe has quit apparently.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 11:43 am

are they nuts?
Back to top Go down
vincent_vega

vincent_vega

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 12:12 pm

I am assuming either Dawe costs to much for the new world or Albion have a better/cheaper offer coming in? Got to say this puzzles me but symptomatic of all things Plymouth sport at the moment. scratch

Would be great to get a David Flatman type of figure down here to cut his teeth in pro coaching.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 12:17 pm

I've just seen Bill Beaumont in Lidl, Union St.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 12:20 pm

Sparksy on Twitter wrote:
Graham Dawe has been asked by the new owners of #Plymouth Albion to step down immediately.

Doesn't sound like he's jumped.
Back to top Go down
vincent_vega

vincent_vega

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 12:20 pm

AstiSpumante wrote:

He is on a walking holiday with Dusty Hare - nothing to see here Question
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 12:22 pm

vincent_vega wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:

cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 12:51 pm

GRAHAM DAWE: His statement in full

From the link wrote:
I have been asked by the new owners of Plymouth Albion Rugby Football Club to step down immediately.

I met with Bruce Priday and Nigel Sparrow yesterday for the first time where they informed me I was not part of their current plans as they wanted a fresh start. This came without any previous dialogue between myself and them.

I was willing to listen to them before making any decision on my future but they had already made their minds up on the direction they wanted to go in.

It is sad for the players that the new owners want to make these change now with two games of the season still to go and such a promising future with this group of talented and close group.

I would personally like to thank all the players and staff for their efforts this season, all the supporters who have cheered the team on home and away and all the superb sponsors.

It was not an easy decision for me to return last year when the club was facing administration and were rock bottom of the Championship. I was persuaded to come back to try and do my best to help save the club and try and rebuild it, even though I was aware of the difficulties.

In 2014 the then board took out a significant loan and that debt and others remained on the club's books when a new board took over last year. However, the loan could and should have been cleared by a group of guarantors.

On the field, the club were also facing the difficulty of losing over 30 players in the summer after relegation from the Championship.

No other team in National One was having to start again from scratch and there was a great danger the club could go straight through the division.

The board unanimously agreed a budget to try and stay in National One and then hopefully look to push for promotion back to the Championship in 2016/17. There have been recent reports about the size of the playing budget this season, but the truth is the budget is a lot less than has been reported and a fraction of last year.

The majority of the players recruited were young ambitious Devon and Cornwall players who it was hoped would develop and serve the club over a number of seasons.

Those players have surpassed all expectations this season, playing winning and ambitious rugby. Despite being one of the youngest squads in the division, they have won 20 of their 28 league matches.

Up until a few weeks ago there was still a chance the team could win the title, when a mid-table finish was the main target.

The players have been class and are one of the best groups I have ever had the privilege to work with.

The coaching staff, Simon Lane, Tristan Lark and Lee Jago, team manager Simon Hicklin and the medical personnel have worked tirelessly this season to improve the players technically, tactically and physically. I cannot thank them enough for their efforts and it has been a pleasure to work with them.

The players were very frustrated over losing 30 hard-earned league points for going into administration, but were told it was for the good of the club moving forward.

I always felt there was an achievable solvent solution, especially if certain parties had been willing to play ball. We were exceptionally close to finding a way to do that but unfortunately it did not happen in time.

I hope the club can move forward. Plymouth Albion will always hold a special place in my heart and I know I have always done my utmost for the club.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 1:10 pm

Albion. Will not succeed without Dawe. Not a good start at all. He has been used. That WILL cause bad feeling

Last edited by Lord Biro on Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 1:11 pm

The new owners probably want a compliant manager, with Dawe what you see is what you get and if he disagreed with direction he wouldn't hesitate to say so. A lot of successful businessmen prefer a yes man. My way or highway innit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 1:23 pm

Lord Biro wrote:
Albion. Will not succeed without Dawe. Not a good start at all. He has been used. That WILL cause bad feeling

Both of the new owners will live to regret getting rid of Dawe like they have if the new guy they have in mind doesnt hit the ground running, especially as Dawe was putting together a squad good enough to go up next season and Albion had a good season this year the first for a long time.

Its a baffling decision and the bad feeling lord biro you mentioned has already started on twitter amongst some of the players.

only been owners for a week and already less popular than brent Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 1:42 pm

Oh dear!....Can't we just talk about the rugby raised eyebrow
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 2:53 pm

One would imagine that Dawe is best out of it.

These new owners are ex players and would invariably want to have an input into the tactical and training aspects.

Whoever they choose as coach you can guarantee he'll need to be a yes man.
Back to top Go down
vincent_vega

vincent_vega

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 3:03 pm

Angry wrote:
GRAHAM DAWE: His statement in full

From the link wrote:
I have been asked by the new owners of Plymouth Albion Rugby Football Club to step down immediately.

I met with Bruce Priday and Nigel Sparrow yesterday for the first time where they informed me I was not part of their current plans as they wanted a fresh start. This came without any previous dialogue between myself and them.

I was willing to listen to them before making any decision on my future but they had already made their minds up on the direction they wanted to go in.

It is sad for the players that the new owners want to make these change now with two games of the season still to go and such a promising future with this group of talented and close group.

I would personally like to thank all the players and staff for their efforts this season, all the supporters who have cheered the team on home and away and all the superb sponsors.

It was not an easy decision for me to return last year when the club was facing administration and were rock bottom of the Championship. I was persuaded to come back to try and do my best to help save the club and try and rebuild it, even though I was aware of the difficulties.

In 2014 the then board took out a significant loan and that debt and others remained on the club's books when a new board took over last year. However, the loan could and should have been cleared by a group of guarantors.

On the field, the club were also facing the difficulty of losing over 30 players in the summer after relegation from the Championship.

No other team in National One was having to start again from scratch and there was a great danger the club could go straight through the division.

The board unanimously agreed a budget to try and stay in National One and then hopefully look to push for promotion back to the Championship in 2016/17. There have been recent reports about the size of the playing budget this season, but the truth is the budget is a lot less than has been reported and a fraction of last year.

The majority of the players recruited were young ambitious Devon and Cornwall players who it was hoped would develop and serve the club over a number of seasons.

Those players have surpassed all expectations this season, playing winning and ambitious rugby. Despite being one of the youngest squads in the division, they have won 20 of their 28 league matches.

Up until a few weeks ago there was still a chance the team could win the title, when a mid-table finish was the main target.

The players have been class and are one of the best groups I have ever had the privilege to work with.

The coaching staff, Simon Lane, Tristan Lark and Lee Jago, team manager Simon Hicklin and the medical personnel have worked tirelessly this season to improve the players technically, tactically and physically. I cannot thank them enough for their efforts and it has been a pleasure to work with them.

The players were very frustrated over losing 30 hard-earned league points for going into administration, but were told it was for the good of the club moving forward.

I always felt there was an achievable solvent solution, especially if certain parties had been willing to play ball. We were exceptionally close to finding a way to do that but unfortunately it did not happen in time.

I hope the club can move forward. Plymouth Albion will always hold a special place in my heart and I know I have always done my utmost for the club.

Looks like the direction is sell the stadium land to Redrow and become a provincial giant like Launceston - ffs.

As much as we hear about the sleeping giant that is PAFC, I think that the real sleeping giant is Albion. Premiership Rugby is now reaching out to USA & Japan and will be one of the next boom leagues in regard to global outreach. With the right backing on and off the pitch, Albion in the Rugby premiership is much more likely and achievable than Argyle in the premiership. Problem is we should have had a strategy in place for this 10 years ago.

Saying that, I dont have a problem in continuing to scoot up the A303 to watch Bath. Could never follow the Chiefs, even though Sandy Park is a pretty good day out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 4:23 pm

Only farmers use the A303 Razz
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 4:58 pm

vincent_vega wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:

ive just seen J P R Williams in nandos top of town Wink
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 5:01 pm

Gareth Evans was out Asders.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 18, 2016 5:21 pm

Madness surely keeping Dawe on with his rugby knowledge and of the club itself should have been a no brainer it makes sense think albion fans need to keep close eye on what these new ownwers are up to
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Good news for Albion fans ....   Good news for Albion fans .... - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Good news for Albion fans ....
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next