The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk Empty
PostSubject: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk EmptySat Jan 16, 2016 1:04 pm

ARGYLE fans now have even more opportunity to lubricate their vocal chords as they cheer on the Pilgrims at Home Park

The club has opened an additional match-day supporters' bar in the Lyndhurst stand, serving a selection of soft drinks, Tribute Ale, Carlsberg and Thatchers Gold, supplied by sponsors St Austell Brewery.

The bar can be found in the former Lyndhurst Superstore, beneath blocks seven and eight, and is the first in a series of planned changes to improve supporters' match-day experience.

Supporters wishing to feed back to the club about any aspect of match-day catering can contact Stadium Catering Manager Andrew Bradford at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or by telephoning 01752 562561
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk EmptySat Jan 16, 2016 3:15 pm

About feckin time too. Follow this up with getting some small independant suppliers for pies, pasties and sandwiches, think local.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk EmptySat Jan 16, 2016 4:01 pm

Couldn't agree more. Get Ordinary Chaps pasties in. They're ace, and just a little bit Cornish too.

Of course, fans have carried on drinking behind the grandstand uninterrupted through the hooly days as if nothing ever happened. In fact, with the move to the grandstand of the Nooligans, there's more problems to be had there than anywhere, what with the pint throwing and boorish behaviour.
The Lyndhurst 70s bar was a great way to see the game through rose tinted spectacles.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk EmptySat Jan 16, 2016 4:42 pm

I can't remember the last Argyle game I saw sober. Mobbing up on a 1988 Plympton reunion next week at Bristol Rovers. 23 of us staying on an overnighter. Starting off in a real ale/cider pub at 11.30am.

Geddon.

:greenrave:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk EmptySat Jan 16, 2016 4:46 pm

good work Mr Trickle
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk EmptySat Jan 16, 2016 6:23 pm

Amsterdamage wrote:
About feckin time too. Follow this up with getting some small independent suppliers for pies, pasties and sandwiches, think local.

Tbf the pasty supplier is local, and when they are not nuked to blast furnace temperatures by baffoon-like catering operatives, the are really quite good.

Also credit where it's due, the opening of the 'beer bar' under the Spion Kop is the first pro-active common sense Catering move Argyle have made in years. Kudos to the new Catering Manager if he is behind this. It certainly helped ease the pressure on the queues at the main kiosks further down the Lyndy.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk EmptySat Jan 16, 2016 6:47 pm

[quote="Czarcasm"]
Amsterdamage wrote:
About feckin time too. Follow this up with getting some small independent suppliers for pies, pasties and sandwiches, think local.

Tbf the pasty supplier is local, and when they are not nuked to blast furnace temperatures by baffoon-like catering operatives, the are really quite good.

Also credit where it's due, the opening of the 'beer bar' under the Spion Kop is the first pro-active common sense Catering move Argyle have made in years. Kudos to the new Catering Manager if he is behind this. It certainly helped ease the pressure on the queues at the main kiosks further down the Lyndy.

To be fair I haven't eaten a pasty in HP for about ten years I just assumed they were still Ginsters.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 8:49 am

Lord Biro wrote:
Couldn't agree more. Get Ordinary Chaps pasties in. They're ace, and just a little bit Cornish too.

Of course, fans have  carried on drinking behind the grandstand uninterrupted through the hooly days as if nothing ever happened. In fact, with the move to the grandstand of the Nooligans, there's more problems to be had there than anywhere, what with the pint throwing and boorish behaviour.
The Lyndhurst 70s bar was a great way to see the game through rose tinted spectacles.

Was too young to buy booze early 70s but remember that great beery aroma in those 2 little bars - living in Midlands now, my consumption of the same is on the train down and occasions in the JSV!! Cheers!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 8:55 am

Dick Trickle wrote:
I can't remember the last Argyle game I saw sober. Mobbing up on a 1988 Plympton reunion next week at Bristol Rovers. 23 of us staying on an overnighter. Starting off in a real ale/cider pub at 11.30am.

Geddon.

Great trip DT, having recently moved to Worcester I had this one pencilled in for the easy train down but alas no ticket - sounds good, loads of proper old boozers in Gasville!! Cheers!!

Any single spare ticket - I'm yer man!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 8:58 am

When did the original Lyndhurst bars close? I'm too young to remember them.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 9:00 am

Dick Trickle wrote:

Geddon.

It'll be interesting to see how many of us make it out for the evening after an afternoon and post-match skinful.

Geddon
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 9:02 am

Innocent Egbunike wrote:
I reckon about 76ish?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 9:44 am

There used to be an old fella (probably about 35 but I was about twelve) who used to stand about where block 17 is now who would always bring a slab of cans in with him, he'd be pissed when he got there and paralytic when he left.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 1:29 pm

Bandwagon wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
I reckon about 76ish?

Figures. I was 5. Think my first game was 2-2 v Swansea last game of 78-79
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 1:56 pm

Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Bandwagon wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
I reckon about 76ish?

I attended with my grandfather & uncle from around 1968'ish as a kid and remember the ground had no fences between the sides/ends and you could walk right around the ground - I'm not sure if the beer drinking kiosks stopped serving when they sectioned off these areas, perhaps an older fan could put me right? Cheers!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 3:44 pm

Bandwagon wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Bandwagon wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
I reckon about 76ish?

I attended with my grandfather & uncle from around 1968'ish as a kid and remember the ground had no fences between the sides/ends and you could walk right around the ground - I'm not sure if the beer drinking kiosks stopped serving when they sectioned off these areas, perhaps an older fan could put me right? Cheers!!

Wasn't there a small fence between the Mayflower and the Demport or am I thinking of the barrier they put there for people to chuck coins over? Me and a mate of mine made a good few quid picking up fifty pence pieces once no fecker could afford to do that nowadays. I'm thinking of a wrought iron fence where one rod goes up bent over then down again making a semi circle at the top? Or is that what they had pitch side? Too long ago.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 4:51 pm

Yes, you could always career around the whole ground, until the Nooligan thing got out of hand. The sectioning off of the Barn Park was the first response that stopped all the fun of the bored kids.
It was a progressive thing, and at one time there was actually a stewarded gateway between the Lyndhurst/Spion Kop and the Devonport, where you could pass through in a Stardust way if you could convince the gatekeeper you weren't a hooly or the heir to  Stormhold.
I do seem to remember there may have been something similar between the grandstand and Devonport too, going back a long long time, but again, a gate which you could pass through if asked nicely. I think it might all have been because a slightly cheaper price was charged in the Devonport, being a poorer view of the game, so the access was one way only, until the final whistle. The Lyndhurst beer drinking thing ( in the poor stands, not the grandstand, that never stopped ) stopped when the mad pitch fencing went up. Not sure if it had actually already stopped stopped before the seating went in. I was a May flower by then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk   Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk Empty

Back to top Go down

Lubricate your vocal chords or get drunk
Page 1 of 1