Freathy
Greendave
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 6:08 pm

Pretty ordinary first half,not too much of note at either end,Wotts almost scored with a long range effort,surprise,surprise.Second half,different story.Walton scored with a superb 20 yard shot,excellent piece of marksmanship after good set up work by Luke Young,who had a very strong second half.Argyle should really have buried the game after this and had plenty of chances to do so,failed to take them,unfortunately.Inevitably a free kick was given away unnecessarily,high ball to the far post which everyone seemed to think was going out,headed back across the goal,1-1,very bad goal to concede.Hemmings,who earlier had scandalously elected to shoot rather than pass to Walton in acres of space and with a free shot at goal,was tripped inside the box,stonewall penalty converted with aplomb by Walton.Well deserved win IMHO,the second half was one of the better performances this season and a very crucial 3 points picked up.Argyle looked more solid today with Wotton instead of Hourihane,not sure if a tanner ball player is what we need in the middle in these circumstances.Good performances from Walton,Young and Bhasera,a not discouraging afternoon for a change,still think we need another striker to come in though.
Back to top Go down
Bodmin Tew

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Tringreen wrote:
You've got an audience again Sad Act. Same old bait too jocolor lol!

That's what I thought Tring. Is he really Shane Ritchie and needs this outlet to get rid of his depression so that he can appear overly positive?

You should bring in an ignore button on this website?

PP - any chance?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 6:29 pm

Bodmin Tew wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

That's what I thought Tring. Is he really Shane Ritchie and needs this outlet to get rid of his depression so that he can appear overly positive?

You should bring in an ignore button on this website?

PP - any chance?

Nope,no ignore buttons and no bannings unless final straws have been reached.Actually,if you look beyond Freathy's somewhat tongue in cheek [i think] ultra negativity and carefully trawl through his posts on this and other forums,then it has to be said that his viewpoint over the past four years about the direction the club was taking was far more accurate than the happy clappy shite spewing forth from other quarters.There is a balance to be achieved though,i'll concede that.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 6:36 pm

Tringreen wrote:

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 6:59 pm

Fair play to your boys today. A decent result (gritting teeth)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 7:27 pm

The Red Star wrote:
Fair play to your boys today. A decent result (gritting teeth)
What about your lot then? 0-0 wasn't it? In front of a M A S S I V E!!!!!!!!!!! 4,016 CROWD (snigger). Game any good?
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 8:44 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Pretty ordinary first half,not too much of note at either end,Wotts almost scored with a long range effort,surprise,surprise.Second half,different story.Walton scored with a superb 20 yard shot,excellent piece of marksmanship after good set up work by Luke Young,who had a very strong second half.Argyle should really have buried the game after this and had plenty of chances to do so,failed to take them,unfortunately.Inevitably a free kick was given away unnecessarily,high ball to the far post which everyone seemed to think was going out,headed back across the goal,1-1,very bad goal to concede.Hemmings,who earlier had scandalously elected to shoot rather than pass to Walton in acres of space and with a free shot at goal,was tripped inside the box,stonewall penalty converted with aplomb by Walton.Well deserved win IMHO,the second half was one of the better performances this season and a very crucial 3 points picked up.Argyle looked more solid today with Wotton instead of Hourihane,not sure if a tanner ball player is what we need in the middle in these circumstances.Good performances from Walton,Young and Bhasera,a not discouraging afternoon for a change,still think we need another striker to come in though.

Good summary and agree with most of that. Wotton was ok, lashed a couple of free kicks wide and was quite vocal. Hemmings was tricky, but little end product. Our front two struggled against the two CB's (who weren't exactly monsters). Blanchard played fairly well (but was probably involved in the poor defending that led to the goal- 2 headers won by them,only for Zola to nod in on the line). Young was much better today and turned and went forward on a number of occasions (instead of the Chris Clarke crab ball he played against Torquay)- needs to work on his concentration with a couple of wayward passes. Burton looked quite average.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 8:57 pm

I think your summary was spot on Greenskin and there is nothing I could add to that myself. When you think that Burton were 8th before kick off today and we were better than them overall it says a lot. We could have won this much more comfortably but if we are going to be going upwards then I would take this scoreline anytime and for the rest of the season. We never did do anything the easy way did we. We have played much better against other teams who were no better than Burton and lost previously.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 9:07 pm

Forgot to add that the £3.5k flag and Forza Verde 1886 were crap. I recognised Tynan, Mariner and Friio- who was bottom right (someone from the 60s?)?
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 9:08 pm

Yep, I agree with Skinny too. It was a lucky win, Hemmings getting a pen running out of the box so late on...but..it shouldn't have needed that little bit of luck, we should have been gone and clear by then. Second half was a lot more productive although I don't see any tactical masterplan unfolding. Luke Young was my MOM for his driving runs but I don't know if he was following orders as the right side lacked an outlet or support for Bignot with Luke pulling inside so much.

I'll give my meeting thoughts tomorrow.

Johnny Williams Ali.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 9:15 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
Forgot to add that the £3.5k flag and Forza Verde 1886 were crap. I recognised Tynan, Mariner and Friio- who was bottom right (someone from the 60s?)?

Indeed. It hardly floated across the Devonport did it? I thought it rather odd that a lot of spectators were 'buried' under an apparently static flag whilst the teams were being announced.

It was then hastily dumped in a heap behind the barrier behind the goal.

Anyone from here buried under it?

And what the hell was that dirge that was being sung halfway through the first half? DIRE!

Much better when the Green and White Barmy Army took off.
Back to top Go down
125+1

125+1

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 9:43 pm

[quote="Freathy"]
Andy_Symons wrote:
Freathy wrote:
Well done Argyle! Never in a million years did I think we'd get another goal. Burton seemed far more likely to score.

And yes, I was fully expecting a Northampton win when they went in front.

Still rooted to the bottom though with an unwinnable match next up.

Sorry to piss on your chips, but Northampton are bottom.

We're on the same points as Northampton[/quo

I thought Northampton were pulling away from the bottom after a change of manager Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 9:46 pm

There's a thread on pbay about Forza Verde being excellent? I was in Block 14 and didn't hear anything until after we scored the second- I'm assuming it was better, if you were sat closer to the Devonport?
Back to top Go down
JonB

JonB

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 10:25 pm

I was sat on the end of the Lyndy, just around from the Spion Kop, & for the first time this season I thought that the Demport were on good form throughout the afternoon.

I very much agree that it was something of a fortunate win, Burton had taken control of the game for a good 15 minutes preceding our penalty which although a foul, was soft as a soft thing.

Plus.... Burton had a very similar shout for a pen turned down in the first half.

Still, other days have seen us play better & lose so let's bank the 3 points & steel ourselves for next week.....

Jon
Back to top Go down
http://www.grumpypig.co.uk
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 10:31 pm

Huzzah, a victory!

Cool

Much needed with Saafend and Crawley next..

rendeer
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 11:08 pm

Have to say the flag does look amazing. Still skeptical about the whole Ultras thing, but full marks to the people who got the flag made. The photos on Pasoti look good, but the sparse crowd around it spoils it. Easy for me to say not being there but it is a bit of a trek for me. Hopefully the flag will be at Port Vale in two weeks so I can see it in person.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 11:36 pm

Ultras were decent today.
Back to top Go down
Bodmin Tew

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 7:52 am

Chemical Ali wrote:
There's a thread on pbay about Forza Verde being excellent? I was in Block 14 and didn't hear anything until after we scored the second- I'm assuming it was better, if you were sat closer to the Devonport?

As others have said most of the feedback was that the Devonport End were much better yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:25 am

125+1 wrote:

I thought Northampton were pulling away from the bottom after a change of manager Laughing

A temporary glich - they will finish way above us and you know it.
Back to top Go down
Bodmin Tew

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:34 am

Freathy wrote:
125+1 wrote:

Glich definition - 2.An unexpected setback in a plan; a hitch, a snag.

That would suggest of course Freathy that you hope that Northampton finish above us.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:42 am

Bodmin Tew wrote:
Freathy wrote:
125+1 wrote:

That would suggest of course Freathy that you hope that Northampton finish above us.

Northampton ditched a failing manager in Johnson and replaced him with an even more experienced one with a very good track record. Wheras we're sticking with fletch. Southend clearly mullered Northampton yesterday like they will us but there is a gulf in class between Boothroyd and Fletch and this will be very apparent in May.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:19 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Huzzah, a victory!

Cool

Much needed with Saafend and Crawley next..

rendeer

I see that Dickinson geezer bagged another couple yesterday.

I thought Napoleon said he had dodgy ankles or something, which was why he didn't sign for Argyle ? lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:24 am

Bodmin Tew wrote:
Freathy wrote:
125+1 wrote:

Or, of course, and far more likely, it suggests a glitch in Northampton's plan. It's not a dictionary you need Bodmin, it's a total makeover. geek
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:39 am

Cynical or not, he's normally right!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:59 am

3 points in the bag and off the bottom if we get anything from the next couple of games I will allow myself a little touch of optimism about surviving as a football league team come the end of the season, but this being Plymouth Argyle I expect they will clutch defeat from the jaws of victory.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Argyle v Burton preview and match thread   Argyle v Burton preview and match thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Argyle v Burton preview and match thread
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next