Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Penlee disaster 34 years ago

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Penlee disaster 34 years ago  Empty
PostSubject: Penlee disaster 34 years ago    Penlee disaster 34 years ago  EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 10:42 am

Spare a thought for the family of these volunteers who gave their lives upholding the standards of the RNLI

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penlee_lifeboat_disaster

The greatest act of courage that I have ever seen, and am ever likely to see, was the penultimate courage and dedication shown by the Penlee [crew] when it manoeuvred back alongside the casualty in over 60 ft breakers and rescued four people shortly after the Penlee had been bashed on top of the casualty's hatch covers. They were truly the bravest eight men I've ever seen, who were also totally dedicated to upholding the highest standards of the RNLI.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Penlee disaster 34 years ago    Penlee disaster 34 years ago  EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 10:55 am

I was 2nd Mate on a 100m coaster hove to in the same storm but in the Med heading for the Gibraltar straits, massive swells breaking over each end of the ship! I listened to the tragedy unfold via the world service and Radio 4 on 198 mHz.

The Old Man was from Penzance, he later went Skipper on the Scillonian III, he was very shocked when he heard the news.

The official report is very detailed, shocking disregard of common sense. The ship was brand new, the Chief Engineer who had stood by it's build was sacked just before she sailed, lots of factors involved but ultimately she should never have been out there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Penlee disaster 34 years ago    Penlee disaster 34 years ago  EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 11:09 am

seadog wrote:
I was 2nd Mate on a 100m coaster hove to in the same storm but in the Med heading for the Gibraltar straits, massive swells breaking over each end of the ship! I listened to the tragedy unfold via the world service and Radio 4 on 198 mHz.

The Old Man was from Penzance, he later went Skipper on the Scillonian III, he was very shocked when he heard the news.

The official report is very detailed, shocking disregard of common sense. The ship was brand new, the Chief Engineer who had stood by it's build was sacked just before she sailed, lots of factors involved but ultimately she should never have been out there.

I did think that, but ultimately I suppose it's what they do
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Penlee disaster 34 years ago    Penlee disaster 34 years ago  EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 1:01 pm

Self preservation should always come above commercial interest.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Penlee disaster 34 years ago    Penlee disaster 34 years ago  EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 1:05 pm

Is it the Solomon Browne you refer to?
Back to top Go down
Lord Melbury

PostSubject: Re: Penlee disaster 34 years ago    Penlee disaster 34 years ago  EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 1:51 pm

Yes Hugh, Solomon Browne was the lifeboat that was lost.
If a deal had been agreed for a salvage tug to take the Union Star in tow earlier in the afternoon the disaster would never have happened.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Penlee disaster 34 years ago    Penlee disaster 34 years ago  EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 2:10 pm

FY 310 wrote:
Yes Hugh, Solomon Browne was the lifeboat that was lost.
If a deal had been agreed for a salvage tug to take the Union Star in tow earlier in the afternoon the disaster would never have happened.  
Remembering this for me always herald the beginning of the Xmas period, a bunch of hardy volunteers going out in treacherous weather out of a sense of duty.  

i love the way mousehole turn off the lights for an hour this evening, it seems so much more poignant than the forced you WILL remember those that died in the war that goes on in November
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Penlee disaster 34 years ago    Penlee disaster 34 years ago  EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 3:06 pm

Dartmoor folkster Seth Lakeman did a great tribute song to the Penlee lifeboatmen: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SYCf-Esfjb8
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Penlee disaster 34 years ago    Penlee disaster 34 years ago  EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 9:33 pm

Was It that long ago, bleddy tragic disaster
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Penlee disaster 34 years ago    Penlee disaster 34 years ago  EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 6:13 pm

Graiser wrote:
Was It that long ago, bleddy tragic disaster
Just what I thought Graiser beh!
Don't think the RNLI have the phrase ''self-preservation'' in their vocabulary.
Back to top Go down
fridgey

fridgey

PostSubject: Re: Penlee disaster 34 years ago    Penlee disaster 34 years ago  EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 6:55 pm

RNLI = bravest of the brave.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Penlee disaster 34 years ago    Penlee disaster 34 years ago  Empty

Back to top Go down

Penlee disaster 34 years ago
Page 1 of 1