UFC

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

UFC Empty
PostSubject: UFC   UFC EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 2:06 am

I caught some of the hype when the Irishman McGregor KOed his oppo in 13 secs to become world champ.

Never having seen any UFC I was intrigued the other day when a re-run popped up on the telly and decided to see what had happened. On the undercard there was a fight between two yanks: Rockhold and Weidman. Well! Gosh.

I don't think I've ever seen anything so brutal (it was much worse than the KO) in my life. It wasn't so much exciting as unrelentingly ugly.

The obvious comparison is boxing. Boxing can be very exciting and it can be as brutal as hell - people get killed occasionally after all - but it has a sense of fair play and rules and nobility. There's none of that, during a fight anyhow, in UFC; it's just full-on pummel the other guy until he's pulped.

Once it was over it was all hugs and respect between the combatants, just like boxing usually is, so it wasn't all barbarism and gore but I've been left unsettled by the experience. It was all a bit too "rollerball" (without the motor bikes and roller skates) for those who can recall the film.

I hope they get extremely well paid but I'm in no hurry to see any of it again.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 2:21 am

mma is great no more brutal than football or reading one off your rants Basketball
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 3:32 am

You can't have seen the Rockhold/Weidman fight then. I've never seen anything like it. I thought he was going to be killed at one point.
Back to top Go down

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 10:33 am

Couldn't agree more, UFC is just messy and ugly I've no intention of ever watching it. There seems no discipline, Benn v Eubank was horrible but there was an element of sport about it
Back to top Go down

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptySat Dec 19, 2015 3:45 pm

cleary both hugh and sir havent watched it for long or know anything about the sport. if they did they would know since its origins it has beome one of the most regulated sports around with health and safety being strict including fighters saftey and again more injuries occur in football than in a mma fight.
Back to top Go down

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 12:50 am

Angry wrote:
cleary both hugh and sir havent watched it for long or know anything about the sport. if they did they would know since its origins it has beome one of the most regulated sports around with health and safety being strict including fighters saftey and again more injuries occur in football than in a mma fight.
I'm not saying its unsafe, I'm saying its a bastard game. In boxing you box, inwrestling you wrestle . If you don't stick to disciplines then it's little better than legitimised scrapping which I can't be bothered with.
Back to top Go down

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 10:09 am

I like it. Humans in their raw form. I think all future prospective mods should learn a few moves before indoctrination into modism.
Back to top Go down

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 5:32 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
Angry wrote:
I'm not saying its unsafe, I'm saying its a bastard game. In boxing you box, inwrestling you wrestle . If you don't stick to disciplines then it's little better than legitimised scrapping which I can't be bothered with.

read up on the sport Hugh you clearly dont know much about it. If its not for you fair enough no problems here with that but dont make stuff up to appease your point of view when it couldnt be more false if you tried. Its MMA not ballet again, it has more regulations and rules that are very strict the sport wouldnt be grossing billions world wide if it wasn't or launch careers of fighters to go into movies/tv/modeling or brand endorsing. UFC is nothing like what it was when it started which i think you still thnk it is where there were only 3 rules max no eye gauge, no fish hooking and no biting and you where free to do anything else causing damage with no intervention.
Back to top Go down

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 5:41 pm

It's not for me, but I certainly respect your opinion on it. I get bored of explaining why I like cricket
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 5:57 pm

I did say: "Never having seen any UFC..." and most certainly do not claim any degree of expertism on the subject.

Judge for yourself.

Not for the faint-hearted.
Back to top Go down

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 6:05 pm

glad you admitted if only this one time you dont know what your talking about SFD.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 6:14 pm

You're funny.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 6:14 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
I did say: "Never having seen any UFC..." and most certainly do not claim any degree of expertism on the subject.

Judge for yourself.

That is neither pleasant or entertainment.
Back to top Go down

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 6:18 pm

Dick Trickle wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Judge for yourself.

That is neither pleasant or entertainment.

there is always pdc darts for you dick drunk drunk drunk cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
lawnmowerman

lawnmowerman

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 6:37 pm

now your talking angry. The best nights out ever when PDC came to plymouth. I thought I could drink but omfgg the regulars at the darts can certainly drink for england.
Back to top Go down

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 7:11 pm

lawnmowerman wrote:
now your talking angry. The best nights out ever when PDC came to plymouth. I thought I could drink but omfgg the regulars at the darts can certainly drink for england.

YOu need lots of booze to find darts on a par with football for entertainment and sing lots of football related songs all night .... otherwise its just another BDO tournament dull and boring Laughing
Back to top Go down
MikeWN

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 2:29 pm

Thought Weidman should have been stopped in the 3rd when Rockhold was in full mount and he was just covering up and shipping punches. I think the referee Herb Dean might think so too, given how he jumped in to stop the Dos Anjos/Cerrone the following week, with Cerrone looking mostly unflustered and seemingly getting back to his feet.

Like anything and everything though, these are human beings making spilt second decisions under extreme pressure. Not every fight is a beatdown or a bloodbath, but it IS a fighting sport.

Personally I'd ban elbows, especially on the ground. They cause cuts, and you can't sell a sport to a wider audience with both fighters wearing bloody masks. Which is a shame, because it can be entertaining. The best boxing matches are still, for me, a million miles better, but I'm probably biased given that I went the local gym through my uni years in the late 90s. If I was there now, I'd probably have trained MMA, and had no time for the politics and fight-dodging that happen in boxing.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptyWed Oct 17, 2018 8:08 pm

After the latest UFC debacle involving McGregor and Normangeddenov (I forget his proper name) I guess McGregor's goose is cooked (at least until the rematch).

However I see there is to be another Mayweather fight with him taking on Norm this time.

Oh! And this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Every. Single. Word.
Back to top Go down

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptyWed Oct 17, 2018 10:09 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
After the latest UFC debacle involving McGregor and Normangeddenov (I forget his proper name) I guess McGregor's goose is cooked (at least until the rematch).

However I see there is to be another Mayweather fight with him taking on Norm this time.

Oh! And this: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Every. Single. Word.

zzzzzzzzzz still dont know what your talking about i see.
Back to top Go down
MikeWN

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptyWed Oct 17, 2018 11:10 pm

Did Rousey ever break anyone's arm? The point of an arm bar is to force an opponent to submit, due to extreme pain/risk of injury. I've seen people get their arm broken in arm bars, but injuries happen in contact sports.

I don't understand why the author is so upset about MMA, and not other fight sports, given that his stated central premise is that he doesn't understand people who want to be punched in the face, or watch others do it. That's not whataboutism, that's a direct response to the points raised in the article. As it stands, it has a whiff of 'isn't the modern world just awful?' pearl-clutching.
Back to top Go down

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC EmptyThu Oct 18, 2018 8:20 am

I just happen to think its ugly. Boxing has a kind of brutal beauty to it. UFC is just legitimised scrapping. As I said its not for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

UFC Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFC   UFC Empty

Back to top Go down

UFC
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: Half Time-
Jump to: