Dick Trickle
Les Miserable
Lord Tisdale
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  Empty
PostSubject: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyWed Dec 09, 2015 5:54 pm

Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country in national survey (Exeter comes 16th!)

Plymouth has been named as one of the top five retail locations in the UK.

In a top 100 list, compiled for Property Week, Plymouth was ranked the fifth best city with the hottest mass-market retail potential.

Towns and cities from across the UK were depending on how they could support more mass-market retail brands based on the type of customer living in the catchment area.

Each catchment area reflects the levels of competition in nearby retail centres which was defined by CACI’s Retail Footprint catchment model.

Plymouth’s nearest competing cities were ranked at a lot lower with Bristol coming 15th and Exeter 16th.

Milton Keynes scoped the first place on the Hot 100 UK retail locations for the first time

Birmingham beat Plymouth by one place, sitting in 4th place.

Read more: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Plymouth-named-fifth-best-shopping-city-country/story-28327909-detail/story.html#ixzz3tqayZdnT
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyWed Dec 09, 2015 5:59 pm

I Can only assume the shoppers where blind and where mega into pound shops and coffee
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyWed Dec 09, 2015 6:04 pm

I Can only assume the shoppers where blind and where mega into pound shops and coffee
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyWed Dec 09, 2015 6:15 pm

What a load of crap. I know of no one who is impressed with the Plymouth shopping experience apart from our own Mr rapson.

Now, far be it for me to say all these publications are up the arse of certain industries and characters, but let me just remind folk of a certain character, a James "T" Brent, post Citi, who used to be a contributor for Property Week about the time he became self employed, when he had decided Citi wasn't a good place to be and the "market was about to make a correction".........in Citi's case about 50 billion dollars initially, and then a whole lot more. In fact, here's a link for several of his thoughts on property investment, life and the universe. A sort of Chris Webb column with roughly the same font of knowledge. Every budding new entrepreneur needs to try the column thing.

Jimmy Freelance giving his tablets of wisdom

Publishing used to be a mixture of advertisers and readers calling the shots, with advertisers just edging it. In today's online publishing bull, a third element has reared it's head, the online tribal click bait. Want to get a wide audience for your bull ? just invent a story and mention , say, Plymouth, or Pembrokeshire, anywhere really, release details of how great Plymouth is to, say the Herald and a list of colluding publications, and Bob's yer Trust leader, sit back and see those micro pennies add up for everyone concerned.
The internet is fast becoming my least favourite industry, now the usual suspects and wrong people are slipping into the trousers. I've downsized to a dongle, and am seriously considering throwing even that into the Dart river.
As to Winter holiday shopping, I highly recommend Totnes Fore St next Tuesday, where the whole town is full of festive stalls and great music right up and down the hill, under the clock tower, and into the square. Forget the pasty quarter in Plymouth, forget Drakes Circus and it's horrendous twaffic jams, and take the train to Totnes, or as TCM would say ,,,,,,,,
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 12:14 am

Come on guys, it's not a poll about where it is best to shop, it is a poll about towns which could do with some better shops.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 8:39 am

Well obviously, its an up and coming location with a growing professional population, it needs better shops for the increasingly wealthy citizens to spend their cash.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 9:51 am

For once, Lord Tis is right (had to happen eventually, I suppose). It's not about which city has the best shopping facilities, it's about the potential set against the competition for other local cities. And as Plymouth's nearest competitor city is 45 miles away, it's hardly surprising that we score highly.

Does anyone seriously believe we're better than Bristol? Read the article before giving the oh so predictable knee-jerk responses .
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 10:15 am

Pound shops, charity shops, pasty shops, what more does an affluent, thriving city need?

According to gorgeous George we've already got the 'Northern powerhouse' Very Happy the 'Midlands engine' Very Happy .....so how about the 'Westcountry ..........? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 1:20 pm

Not according to the woman I overheard at St. Pancras this morning....advising a friend on where to go in Devon she said "don't go to Plymouth, it's a shithole"
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 2:11 pm

Living in Newton I visit very regularly both Plymouth and Exeter, there is no question that Exeter is a far more enjoyable experience, yes has it's large quota of corporate shite chain shops, but there are are far more independents.
The Armada centre is a architectual disgrace what is there to like? Needless to say I naturaly gravitate to the Pannier market, as you may know there are two great street food stalls there.
Totnes is for me the best destination nearly all independent shops even shit Costa Crap coffee backed off from there.
Anyway I'm sure the masses are salivating at the prospect of all their fave chains heading to the no doubt latest corporate mostrosity heading to Bretonside.
It really is all so depressing, of course you may disagree.
bom
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 2:43 pm

I haven't been in the Pannier Market for about 25 years or more. That end of town with Frankfort Gate is proper dilapidated. It is an Independent haven because no big name retailer would want to associate itself with the general squalor in that area. That's the sad truth.

What's Gandy St like these days? I used to spend a small fortune in a few shops up there back in the day. Around about 25 years ago we used to go up to Exeter every couple of weeks to Mighty Force to buy our Vinyl.

Good times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 2:59 pm

Mighty Force, what a top ravey davey place that was. I bought some great clothes in there amongst other stuff Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 3:26 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
I haven't been in the Pannier Market for about 25 years or more. That end of town with Frankfort Gate is proper dilapidated. It is an Independent haven because no big name retailer would want to associate itself with the general squalor in that area. That's the sad truth.

What's Gandy St like these days? I used to spend a small fortune in a few shops up there back in the day. Around about 25 years ago we used to go up to Exeter every couple of weeks to Mighty Force to buy our Vinyl.

Good times.

Last time I was there Gandy Street seemed full of overpriced baby clothes shops and shops selling beads and crystals again overpriced. Mighty Force is long gone but theres good shops in the Real McCoy arcade, the rest of Fore Street has disapeared down the all bar one, shit in a tray merchant route.

I remember some good gigs down the Cavern a few years back.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 3:43 pm

Muff, 'imho', and sadly, is a dying, run-down shit-hole of a once great and proud city. It's now full of Chavs, weekend white lightening warriors, bin dippers, shit drivers, terrible transport infrastructure, complete cuunts who run the council,  mug sellers and mental midgets. and a dog shit football team with a class 1 cuunt at who owns it.

I'll pop up to muff from Cornwall to see my parents and the grand kids, and the odd night out with the lads or a gig at the Pavillions, but that's it. I much prefer places like Truro these days, it's only a short drive away.

Halcyon days for me were, Union Street, Argo (under Cider man), Arcadia records, Castaways, Woods, growing up in Ernesettle and then Southway, the old drakes circus, The cooperage, Belgrave Snooker, 50p a gallon, mehhhhhhhh, I'll STF up.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 8:31 pm

Person Of Interest wrote:
Muff, 'imho', and sadly, is a dying, run-down shit-hole of a once great and proud city. It's now full of Chavs, weekend white lightening warriors, bin dippers, shit drivers, terrible transport infrastructure, complete cuunts who run the council,  mug sellers and mental midgets. and a dog shit football team with a class 1 cuunt at who owns it.

I'll pop up to muff from Cornwall to see my parents and the grand kids, and the odd night out with the lads or a gig at the Pavillions, but that's it. I much prefer places like Truro these days, it's only a short drive away.

Halcyon days for me were, Union Street, Argo (under Cider man), Arcadia records, Castaways, Woods, growing up in Ernesettle and then Southway, the old drakes circus, The cooperage, Belgrave Snooker, 50p a gallon, mehhhhhhhh, I'll STF up.

I feel your pain.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 8:33 pm

Homeslice wrote:
For once, Lord Tis is right (had to happen eventually, I suppose).

Feck, I've been owned.
Back to top Go down
MikeWN

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 12:51 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

Good times.

Last time I was there Gandy Street seemed full of overpriced baby clothes shops and shops selling beads and crystals again overpriced. Mighty Force is long gone but theres good shops in the Real McCoy arcade, the rest of Fore Street has disapeared down the all bar one, shit in a tray merchant route.

I remember some good gigs down the Cavern a few years back.

Never quite sure which bit is Fore St and which bit is New Bridge, but having walked around the area there seemed to be plenty of quirky little independents - two comic shops, Sandyman's Chop Shop, a decent skate and BMX place, a weird little hair salon/steampunk clothing store, couple of tatooists, and the Fat Pig just one street back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 1:45 pm

At the bottom of the high street, turn right for Iron Bridge, The City Gate is a tidy little inn style boozer at the start of ironbridge.

Fore Street is the road that leads from Exebridges to the High Street, used to be full of nice little indepenednts like mighty force etc. A few remain but as I say it seems populated more now with shit pubs and ropey kebab shops.

The Fat Pig is a great little boozer, always a well kept range of beers and a real varied and interesting menu far removed from the standard burger and steak offering. Although it does suffer an influx from the trendy beard brigade, I would strongly recommend.

Up the other end is the Old Firehouse for live music and great atmosphere.
Back to top Go down
MikeWN

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 1:57 pm

Yeah, the Firehouse is another good boozer.

I would guess that you would lump me into the trendy beard brigade (I've had mine for 20 years, but that besides the point!) but I'm not that bothered. Give me hipsters over some of the knobs I grew up with on various married quarters, or the swivel-eyed pseudo-hardmen who seemed to inhabit every pub in the 90s any day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 4:38 pm

Czarcasm wrote:

Good times.

Me and Mrs Graiser spent a lot of time and money in Gandy Street in past years but it's not quite the same now, no Willeys or That Lacoste shop on the corner, still a better shopping experience than Plymouth though
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 4:47 pm

Why no mention of the excellent Phoenix Arts centre off Gandy Street ? Great place. Excellent well used facility for their city.

Still, jimmy's on the case getting a new arts centre up and running in Plymouth.Laughing  
He's just the man to build a vibrant new city arts hub. A land banker of many talents
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 5:11 pm

£4.2 million art hub heralds 'cultural resurgence' in Plymouth

PLYMOUTH'S £4.2million artistic hub was unveiled yesterday in front of crowds at Royal William Yard – with renowned members of the art world present.

Director of the Tate galleries and museums, Sir Nicholas Serota, unveiled Ocean Studios and said the project is "vital in ensuring that artists who otherwise might have left Plymouth will stay here".

He continued: "It brings opportunities for emerging artists and adds a new space in the south west, meaning people that come here will have a memorable experience and will come back.

"It will be good for the Plymouth economy and it will give the city a new kind of identity."

He also described the Grade I listed building as "one of the most beautiful buildings in the United Kingdom"

Read more: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Studios-herald-new-cultural-resurgence-city/story-

Plymouth is new 'artistic hub' of South West, says new arts centre director

THE new boss of Plymouth Arts Centre says the city has become the artistic 'hub' at the heart of the South West.

That's according to Ben Borthwick, who has recently been apponted artistic director at the centre.

The news that Plymouth has overtaken Exeter might surprise some who remember the city as it was in its post-Dockyard industrial decline.

But with no fewer than three higher education establishments, Plymouth is now as much a city of learning as a naval base. Borthwick, former chief executive and artistic director of Artes Mundi and assistant curator at Tate Modern in London, has little doubt.

There are big gaps in the visual arts between St Ives and Bristol, and Plymouth has a vital place as a stepping stone between those,” he says.

Exeter College of Art and Design relocated to Plymouth University in 2007, and the Arts Council has recently withdrawn funding for the leading Exeter art venue, SpaceX

Read more: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Plymouth-new-artistic-hub-South-West-says-new/story-25338209-detail/story.html#ixzz3u264S9qf

New Art Capital?

Plymouth is a city on a mission, but its race to success is not without competition.

Rewind to June 2013, and Plymouth had just failed in its attempt to be shortlisted for the 2017 UK City of Culture award. Had money-spinning been the sole aim of this endeavour, anything artistic would surely have been rubbed from the drawing board. But this was about creating something valuable, not something expensive – and the city’s cultural board were not going to sit back and accept their ship had sailed. Knowing they had all the foundations for a flourishing arts scene, and a growing roster of creative talent, they simply straightened their rudder, and stiffened their resolve. Today – with May having seen the inauguration of the Plymouth Fringe Festival, and this month bringing the opening of a multi-million pound artists’ residence in Ocean Studios – it’s clear the battle lost inspired an even greater will to succeed. After all, although the famous port may not be used to winning art competitions, it is used to winning wars

http://www.voice-group.co.uk/plymouth-the-south-wests-new-art-capital/

Major theatre hub to move in next to Plymouth's new-look Bretonside cinema and restaurants complex

PLANS have been submitted to create a £250,000 rehearsals and set design base for a theatre in Plymouth city centre.

The Barbican Theatre's Basement project has already bagged £80,000 - and now theatre bosses have formally handed their plans to the council.

If given the go-ahead, the custom-built theatrical hub would take over the lower ground floor of the Jury's Inn building, right next to the massive Bretonside redevelopment.

It would be accessible by Bilbury Street and sit below Exeter Street level in the building

Read more: http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/Major-theatre-hub-Plymouth-s-new-look-Bretonside/story-28178426-detail/story.html#ixzz3u286JrGE
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 5:33 pm

Ha ha. We shall see, Tg.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 5:53 pm

Sir John Hawkins wrote:
Why no mention of the excellent Phoenix Arts centre off Gandy Street ? Great place. Excellent well used facility for their city.

Still, jimmy's on the case getting a new arts centre up and running in Plymouth.Laughing  
He's just the man to build a vibrant new city arts hub. A land banker of many talents

Off to the Phoenix, this evening to see The Computers, a great band from Exeter of national and European standing, someone mentioned the Cavern in an earlier post. Give it a go everyone, it's my favourite gig venue, was there only last Saturday, really is a great venue catering from the strange to the more accessible (not covers bands of any sort). Apart from being alternative and friendly it's generally cheap very rarely paying more than about £7, also everyone check out the Underground and Junction on Mutley Plain, two venues in a similar vein.
Apart from that info, someone has already given the lowdown on the better watering holes, would just add the Beer Cellar by the catherdral and the Hour Glass up from the quay.
cheers
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 6:19 pm

To top it off we got this

A CELEBRITY visitor will be in Plymouth next week to help a city nightclub celebrate its second birthday.

Katie Price will be meeting fans at Barbican nightspot OMG as the club stages its birthday bash on Friday night.

The glamour model turned television presenter - who used to be better known as Jordan - is special guest at the celebration, which will begin at 10pm.

OMG said: "What's better than celebrating it with one of the UK's top celebs!

"This really isn't a night to miss."

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country     Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country  Empty

Back to top Go down

Plymouth named fifth best shopping city in the country
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next