Flat_Track_Bully
Greenskin
Charlie Wood
Sir Francis Drake
Tgwu
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 5:31 pm

ejh wrote:
harvetheslayer wrote:
Paven wrote:
Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
Angry wrote:

These game count for nothing its a friendly in all but name .

True, but it is still an opportunity for those one the fringes of the first team to show the manager what they can do in a semi competitive fixture. Smalley getting himself sent off is unlikely to impress, especially as he's fighting for a place on the bench against Harvey and Rooney, both of whom scored.

To be fair, Smalley's lack of any discernable ability is more likely to stop him getting in the side that one silly red card. Laughing

I had to google up if he had ever scored for Argyle so little did I know about him. Getting a red on the comeback trail wont help

Smalley scored a cracking goal against Swindon here.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

He also scored the penalty in the last seconds if the Stevenage game, stopping Westley take 3 points away from Home Park.

He netted 12 in 22 starts for Chesterfield in a promotion season from this division.

However like many players at Argyle, he has his detractors. Well at least one anyway.

Far from a useless player, I hope he returns from his injuries fighting fit because there is definitely more to see from him.

wgen he played last season he was pretty much crap. that pen he scored probably the only thing he did of any merit.
Back to top Go down

Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 6:07 pm

He's had 3 league starts for us. Then come on for ten mins at a time in other games.

Not really enough to write him off is it?

I've seen bits and bobs of him, I think he's a good all rounder who doesn't deserve half the criticism that comes his way. He is not going to displace Reuben so he is, like Brunt, always going be largely reduced to making an impact from the bench. When not blessed with pace, and reliant on service, it is quite hard to come on and score goals like Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, but that is what fans expect when they bring up Wikipedia stats to prepare the case that a reserve striker is shit or deserves to be frozen out.

He could do a job I'm sure, if he ever had to cover Reuben's number 9 role. Hopefully we will see a bit of him from the bench soon.
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 10:51 pm

I'm pretty relaxed about his comeback, he barely played under John Sheridan who obviously liked him as a person, so I can't say I'm that arsed - he wont fit into an Adams side. Largely because he's one of the laziest strikers I've ever seen.

If he was black he'd be much more disliked among a certain group of Argyle fans for sure. Though ejh that is absolutely not aimed at you - I'm sure you can guess who it is aimed at though.

I just think he's shit. Complete and utter shit. Literally everytime I've seen him he's been shit too, I even used to watch every game with an open mind and he'd continue to be shit. He wont play much, if at all, and will fall into non league obscurity over the next few years of his career.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 10:55 pm

Some bizarre and highly opinionated comments there, been on the cider again bhey ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 10:56 pm

Paven wrote:
I'm pretty relaxed about his comeback, he barely played under John Sheridan who obviously liked him as a person, so I can't say I'm that arsed - he wont fit into an Adams side. Largely because he's one of the laziest strikers I've ever seen.

If he was black he'd be much more disliked among a certain group of Argyle fans for sure. Though ejh that is absolutely not aimed at you - I'm sure you can guess who it is aimed at though.

I just think he's shit. Complete and utter shit. Literally everytime I've seen him he's been shit too, I even used to watch every game with an open mind and he'd continue to be shit. He wont play much, if at all, and will fall into non league obscurity over the next few years of his career.

who is that aimed at then Paven?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2015 11:03 pm

I'm happy to agree that he has hardly set the world alight in his time here but I think we have a potentially tidy player in Smalley. For starters he was qute prolific for Chesterfield so he obviously has it in him to get a few. Secondly Sheridan, for all his faults, appeared to know a player when he saw one and he signed him twice.

His main issue would appear to be fitness. Wasn't he out for a while before he joined us? So he was almost certainly not at his best when we saw him previously. And now he has to do it all again and getting match fit when you're not likely to be in the staring XI is going to be tricky all over again.

The odds are stacked against him being a hit here but you never know and I'm hopeful he'll show us the form that made him such a threat at Chesterfield even if it is all a bit like Steve McLean mk II.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 12:08 am

Angry wrote:
Paven wrote:

Err, racists mostly. The common stereotype that Reid is lazy exists while there isn't one for Smalley, despite the fact Smalley is the lazy one of the two.

Racial undertones.. But not from anyone on here I must say.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 1:18 am

Paven wrote:
Angry wrote:
Paven wrote:

Err, racists mostly. The common stereotype that Reid is lazy exists while there isn't one for Smalley, despite the fact Smalley is the lazy one of the two.

The guy you are referring to is a bit of a dinosaur granted, but that is unfair.

Reid gets called lazy because he spends one portion of the season being unplayable (e.g. Notts County), spends another portion ticking over getting the odd finish and penalty, and then spends an irritating chunk of it hardly interested in the match.

With regards to the latter bracket, symptoms of lazy Reuben are refusing to close down the ball when it is clearly his man, not jumping for headers that are only feet away from his centre of gravity, moaning at the ref that his shirt is being tugged (no other foul appears to have been committed as the CB clears the danger with ease), and moaning at the defence/midfield that their passes aren't perfect enough. He can be so frustrating when the game is close, and he is acting like a diva.

No one has any gripes with Reuben when he fully applies himself, as he is pretty much the best forward in the league. But he IS a moody player and a sulker, which is nothing to do with his skin colour, but is a reality that supporters should have the freedom to acknowledge and discuss.

Curtis Nelson appears to a black player, and not one have I ever known his effort, mentality or application to have been brought under question. Au contraire - for many he is the model young pro, and he wears the captains armband for the club with distinction.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 9:12 am

I don't buy into the notion that Reid is lazy. Not at all. Mind you given that he's clocked 20 goals per season fot two years during which he's apparently been in pipe and slippers mode then long may it continue if he is.

To be honest I don't recall Tommy Tynan over-exerting himself unneccessarily and he did OK for us.

Reid has been sensational for us since he came back... Maybe people expect too much. Besides if he had the pace of an Olympic sprinter, took penalties like paul Wotton, the strength if Hercules, the first touch of Trigger, a shot in both feet like Bobby Charlton, could jump like Stevie Cooper, the dribbling skills of Charles "Charlie" Charleston, an engine like David Norris, positional awareness of David Friio, the experience of Steve McCall and eye for goal like a French impressionist painter he wouldn't be playing for us in the first place. He's not perfect, far from it, but he'll do for me.

Like dear old Joni once said "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone..." and we'll come to rue the day that Reid is no longer with us - of that I am certain.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 9:55 am

Paven wrote:
Angry wrote:
Paven wrote:

You're talking bolleaux Paven, none of our other black players are labelled 'lazy' because of their ethnicity. A lazy inference on your part I'd say.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 10:42 am

AstiSpumante wrote:
Paven wrote:
Angry wrote:
Paven wrote:

You're talking bolleaux Paven, none of our other black players are labelled 'lazy' because of their ethnicity. A lazy inference on your part I'd say.

I think the kid is just exploiting the fact that he can get away with saying that on ATD.

He'd have solicitors papers served if he insinuated that over on Nools Farm.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 7:42 pm

For our Spanish friends

Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 15, 2015 8:02 pm

Good highlights folks
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 12:00 am

Czarcasm wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:
Paven wrote:
Angry wrote:
Paven wrote:

I think the kid is just exploiting the fact that he can get away with saying that on ATD.

He'd have solicitors papers served if he insinuated that over on Nools Farm.

Partly yes - my opinion that there are racial undertones in existence for opinions of players from certain groups is a view I've held for a while now, but very rarely speak of. There are certain places you can say it, and others where I'd be crucified for doing so.

It is of course, more a theory than anything else but knowing of certain individuals and their views, it wouldn't surprise me. I just do hope it's a minority (in the unlikely event I'm actually right lol! )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 10:00 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
I don't buy into the notion that Reid is lazy. Not at all. Mind you given that he's clocked 20 goals per season fot two years during which he's apparently been in pipe and slippers mode then long may it continue if he is.

To be honest I don't recall Tommy Tynan over-exerting himself unneccessarily and he did OK for us.

Reid has been sensational for us since he came back... Maybe people expect too much. Besides if he had the pace of an Olympic sprinter, took penalties like paul Wotton, the strength if Hercules, the first touch of Trigger, a shot in both feet like Bobby Charlton, could jump like Stevie Cooper, the dribbling skills of Charles "Charlie" Charleston, an engine like David Norris, positional awareness of David Friio, the experience of Steve McCall and eye for goal like a French impressionist painter he wouldn't be playing for us in the first place. He's not perfect, far from it, but he'll do for me.

Like dear old Joni once said "you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone..." and we'll come to rue the day that Reid is no longer with us - of that I am certain.

Rarely does energy and industry get you a goal. That is why Reid, when he can't be arsed, doesn't bother. That's why all selfish strikers don't because there isn't much in it for THEM. Why close down and chase the ball through to their defensive mid, you will only end up in a position nowhere near goal and excessively panting (even if you could potentially pressure a wayward pass from the opposition and retrieve possession for the team). Is it worth it? On a good day yes, on a bad day no it bloody isn't. Letting play go on around the defence, standing still, being near goal, conserving energy, and doing nothing until the rest of the team retrieve the ball is the sensible option. Of course most big goalscoring strikers are selfish and confident by nature. And when they hit 20 +a season they don't have to overly worry about being dropped.

Your logic seems to be that Reuben scores 20 a season so he clearly is trying. Dimitar Berbatov, the famous black striker, was top scorer at Manchester United but divided the fanbase, and got dropped and subsequently released by Ferguson despite being in goalscoring form. Basically being an idle forward who didn't close down, run the channels, who could only operate if the ball came into his feet and couldn't be arsed if it went anywhere else, wasn't working for Fergie anymore. No one can deny that Berbatov is/was a gifted technical player, but there is so much more to playing in a team than just netting the goals and having a glorious first touch. Fans will demand effort and application if their team doesn't have the ball. It's not just about the goals.

What is frustrating for me about Reuben is he is not overall like Berbatov. He is inconsistent, sometimes he will try hard and be a thoroughly dominant forward in all departments, other times he will refuse to do the donkey work and appear to be sulking. That is what must frustrate the fans. Why does he switch off or think he can't be arsed to run in some games more than others? Why can't we bottle the industrious, hard working, physical, unplayable Reuben and throw him out to devour the opposition 46 games out of 46?

I think this is what frustrates a few fans, as well as John Sheridan, who admitted he had to work with Reuben big time on his mentality and motivation. I think we all just know what a brilliant player he would be for Argyle if he was fully and consistently motivated.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 10:16 am

Dimitar Berbatov......the famous "black " player.....has he had a genes tranplant then red card ?.....
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 16, 2015 10:31 am

zyph wrote:
Dimitar Berbatov......the famous "black " player.....has he had a genes tranplant then  red card ?.....

Oh dear zyph.....get with the program fella cyclops
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 01, 2015 9:07 pm

ARGYLE cruised to victory over bottom club Vospers Oak Villa, thanks to four goals from first-team striker Deane Smalley.
It was always going to be a difficult task for Vospers, who are propping up the table in Division 1 West of the Peninsula League and the challenge became even greater when Connor McAuley opened the scoring on 15 minutes.

Smalley got involved in the fun with the second just before half-time and then he ran riot after the interval, bagging three more goals. The excellent Ryan Lane added number six and Jason Vincent completed an easy win.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service   Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Devon St Luke's Challenge Cup and Smalley this is a ATD free service
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2