Mock Cuncher
Elias
Tringreen
Sir Francis Drake
Rickler
10 posters
AuthorMessage

70 years ago today, Blair..... Empty
PostSubject: 70 years ago today, Blair.....   70 years ago today, Blair..... EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 7:43 am

had his novel, Animal Farm, officially published.
Lest we forget .......... over to you Tringy.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: 70 years ago today, Blair.....   70 years ago today, Blair..... EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 7:51 am

If I may butt in?

Imho...   Eric Blair is probably Britain's - if not the English speaking worlds - most important modern non fiction writer..

Which is why his works work well on a global as well as 'village' scale.

Awe... well!
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: 70 years ago today, Blair.....   70 years ago today, Blair..... EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 9:35 am

Speaking of "village"...

On Saturday I met several esteemed ATD posters for the first time. Unbeknownst to me I'd met one of them long ago when he was kid and we share several mutial friends and acquaintances. There really is something of the "village" about Plymouth - and I mean that in a good way.

Very sadly one of our MF&As is no longer with us and our meeting was, on reflection, unexpectedly emotional (for me at least).

It really is a funny old, villagey old world.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: 70 years ago today, Blair.....   70 years ago today, Blair..... EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 12:53 pm

"No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?" :pig

Geddon...........
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: 70 years ago today, Blair.....   70 years ago today, Blair..... EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 4:25 pm

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/jul/11/animal-farm-what-orwell-really-meant/
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: 70 years ago today, Blair.....   70 years ago today, Blair..... EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 6:04 pm

Coming up for air was a good read too
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: 70 years ago today, Blair.....   70 years ago today, Blair..... EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 11:30 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2013/jul/11/animal-farm-what-orwell-really-meant/
I am going to call out this rubbish article.

There's not even a single mention of PASOTI on there FCAL
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: 70 years ago today, Blair.....   70 years ago today, Blair..... EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 4:33 pm

I 'did' Animal Farm for my English Literature 'O' level. Did McBeth as well and watched McBeth at the Old Vic. 44 years ago!!!
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: 70 years ago today, Blair.....   70 years ago today, Blair..... EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 5:38 pm

I read The Road to Wigan Pier the other day. Really powerful stuff.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: 70 years ago today, Blair.....   70 years ago today, Blair..... EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 8:29 am

When i was at school our class was shown the film/animation version
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 70 years ago today, Blair.....   70 years ago today, Blair..... EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 3:51 pm

My favourite was Keep the Aspidistra Flying. Great book. Always reminds me of boring Plumpton.
Poor old Gordon Comstock had a tough old time, bless.
I have his "romantic ideals" as detractors would call them, and by and large it has been eminently possible to avoid the "money god", despite what the 'fikkos say, but you do have to mean it, and be prepared to not covet the latest IPhone/Ipad/merc/trinket/Lord Louis 2 for £15 Monday special eat all you can. Not particularly difficult in all honesty once you have tuned in your taste buds. Most beauty is free at the point of delivery. No direct debit required. The older I get, the more it seems the case. Glad I cottoned on early.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: 70 years ago today, Blair.....   70 years ago today, Blair..... EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Cornish Chris wrote:
Didn't know there was a pier in Wigan?
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: 70 years ago today, Blair.....   70 years ago today, Blair..... EmptyWed Aug 19, 2015 10:05 pm

tigertony wrote:
Cornish Chris wrote:
Didn't know there was a pier in Wigan?
about 15 feet long on the canal.
Back to top Go down
hippo

PostSubject: Re: 70 years ago today, Blair.....   70 years ago today, Blair..... EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 11:17 am

There are 2 big steam engines there too. I went there when I was a child and saw them working. My father thought it was funny that I share a name with one of them. I was never sure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 70 years ago today, Blair.....   70 years ago today, Blair..... EmptyThu Aug 20, 2015 12:29 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Speaking of "village"...

On Saturday I met several esteemed ATD posters for the first time. Unbeknownst to me I'd met one of them long ago when he was kid and we share several mutial friends and acquaintances. There really is something of the "village" about Plymouth - and I mean that in a good way.

Very sadly one of our MF&As is no longer with us and our meeting was, on reflection, unexpectedly emotional (for me at least).

It really is a funny old, villagey old world.

It was for me too. I had always intended to speak about our mutual friend in person, rather then mention it online, as it seemed the proper thing to do. To be able to do it on his old stomping ground was especially poignant for me. Its a shame I missed you later so next time we shall have to raise a glass or two to him drunken
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 70 years ago today, Blair.....   70 years ago today, Blair..... EmptyFri Aug 21, 2015 9:52 pm

Great programme on Radio 4 tonight now about the current writing of fiction, strategy of narrative and the Western novel. One new form of hidden meaning in France is now described as Auto fiction.
Fascinating how modern writers the world over are having to migrate away from certain countries, as their hidden meaning code has sort of been "hacked" and they have been rendered more vulnerable than ever.
The age old fight between subversive literature ( the truth. ATD ) and documented rigged and manipulated historical fact ( lies.......Pasoti ). Basically, some countries no longer tolerate "fiction"  study .Geddon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 70 years ago today, Blair.....   70 years ago today, Blair..... Empty

Back to top Go down

70 years ago today, Blair.....
Page 1 of 1