seadog
Tgwu
Cornish Chris
Greenskin
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 5:53 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:
Got mullered on Innocent Egbunike's birthday once on drums of Colt 45 lager. Really sunny day and ended up sunbathing on the terrace. Can't remember the score...lost 4 nil I think....would be early 90's in April.

Just seen this.

A quick flick to GOS throws up the details: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

0-4 indeed and a hat-trick from Dave Regis, I believe. I turned 20 that day, not that I remember anything about it. Pretty sure I wouldn't be allowed in the ground in 2015 in that state.

Adam King, Darren Tallon (only ever appearance) and Paul Robinson all ended ignominous Argyle careers with that match.

He got all 4, not long after a particularly unproductive spell at argyle. However that was a bloody good notts team.

My mind must be playing tricks on me then, as I thought Regis played for us after that, rather than before.

Looking at that squad from 90/91, I'm incredulous we stayed up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 6:01 pm

Dick Trickle wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:
Got mullered on Innocent Egbunike's birthday once on drums of Colt 45 lager. Really sunny day and ended up sunbathing on the terrace. Can't remember the score...lost 4 nil I think....would be early 90's in April.

Did we go to the 0-2 at Hull the following week too? Got around well in the gold Cortina as students.

I think we did fella. Good old days - West Brom, Chester, Shrewsbury, Stockport, Tranmere, Sheff Utd (?) to name a few.

Gold Cortina - classy Very Happy

Hull via Norwich. RIP Dunts.

Never knock the gold Cortina - took us to many places otherwise unreachable.

Sheff U, yes - broken pub toilet somewhere in the Pennines...used by a car of 5 after a heavy night out. I was last in. Revolting.

West Brom 2-1 to us - Hodges winner from a yard.

Slaughtered 5-1 at Port Vale. Kwame Ampadu consolation.

Aldridge pen at Tranmere and sunk by the odd goal.

Lean times but not a care in the world and always an oasis of college girls and beer to which to return.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 6:45 pm

Kwame Ampadu !!! fekkin ell. did he play when we lost away to Millwall 5-0?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 10:20 pm

tigertony wrote:
Some years ago I remember Nottingham being touted as having the highest ratio of females to males.

That was once true but probably isn't any more except among the very oldest part of the city's demographic.

The Nottingham Regiment was one of the bigger ones in WW1 during which it got annihilated taking a whole swathe of Nottingham's young menfolk with it. This in itself was not so unusual for the time - lots of places lost lots of menfolk in WW1 - but Nottingham also had a huge lace industry which employed tens of thousands of women many of whom had migrated to Nottingham to work in it.

The combination of the two factors created an imbalance that time has been eroding ever since to the point that it probably no longer makes much difference.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 10:23 pm

90-91 happy days !
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 10:26 pm

I've been to Notts County twice. The first time was in the early/mid-80s and it was bloody freezing and we lost 2-0. I remember standing on a huge open terrace behind a goal. The 200 or so travelling fans were lost on it. No atmosphere. Frozen half to death. A thoroughly miserable day out. The other time was the game when Sturrock had just left. Luke saved a penalty. 0-0, I think. A far more uplifting occasion with thousands of Argyle fans by now being accomodated in a lovely big stand - presumably on the same end?
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 12:51 am

Tgwu wrote:
No one mention we have a warm up act before the main event

Exeter City 12:15 Stevenage
League Two, Sky Sports 1 HD (12:00)

Notts County 14:30 Plymouth Argyle
League Two, Sky Sports 1 HD (14:15)

Is the warm up due to the ratio of females or the footy laugh
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 5:21 am

Will be ensconced in Worcester then so might ferret out a sky boozer there or is easy train trip for about £20 return - Bandy ponders!!
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 5:39 am

Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:

Did we go to the 0-2 at Hull the following week too? Got around well in the gold Cortina as students.

I think we did fella. Good old days - West Brom, Chester, Shrewsbury, Stockport, Tranmere, Sheff Utd (?) to name a few.

Sheff U, yes - broken pub toilet somewhere in the Pennines...used by a car of 5 after a heavy night out. I was last in. Revolting.

Lean times but not a care in the world and always an oasis of college girls and beer to which to return.

Happy days fella indeed although probably more beer than college girls although I'm sure that will be a topic for our next reunion.

Proves also that despite the tag about "not being proper fans" many on here have followed Argyle for thousands and thousands of miles. Geography, family, other interests and downright cynicism about Argyle and "modern football" may have led to fewer games, but not proper fans? - do me a favour.  

Shall we have a sweepstake for when the first post by Newell takes a dig at the returning glory hunters and where were you when we lost at home to Morecambe etc?

Football has a funny habit of deriding people who having heard the product might be worth spending £20 on then find themselves subjected to turnstile queues, no food and the local populace criticising them for spending their money at the club. People can bucket rattle all they like but  an extra 1,000 people on the gate equates to £250k over the course of the season and when those extra 1,000 do turn up, whether they be first-timers or people with lapsed faith, they should be welcomed with open arms.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 9:03 am

[quote="Dick Trickle"]
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:

Happy days fella indeed although probably more beer than college girls although I'm sure that will be a topic for our next reunion.

Proves also that despite the tag about "not being proper fans" many on here have followed Argyle for thousands and thousands of miles. Geography, family, other interests and downright cynicism about Argyle and "modern football" may have led to fewer games, but not proper fans? - do me a favour.  

Shall we have a sweepstake for when the first post by Newell takes a dig at the returning glory hunters and where were you when we lost at home to Morecambe etc?

Football has a funny habit of deriding people who having heard the product might be worth spending £20 on then find themselves subjected to turnstile queues, no food and the local populace criticising them for spending their money at the club. People can bucket rattle all they like but  an extra 1,000 people on the gate equates to £250k over the course of the season and when those extra 1,000 do turn up, whether they be first-timers or people with lapsed faith, they should be welcomed with open arms.

Yeah, I meant more to look at than actually touch...or even communicate with.

Hands up - I think only saw Argyle twice last season. That'd be because I live 240 miles away and can't currently even get to local away games due to family commitments.

I don't think that diminishes all the long miles previously put in watching Argyle over the years, or, for example, once going to see Shrewsbury v Swansea because Kevin Summerfield and Russel Coughlin were playing.....but perhaps in the eyes of some like Mr Newell it does.

We should welcome every new, returning or floating fan going to build a proper club again....and happily, unlike the Labour Party, we don't have to slay our principles in the process. All that needs to happen is to fulfil the mission - 'play better football'
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 26, 2015 6:45 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
I've been to Notts County twice. The first time was in the early/mid-80s and it was bloody freezing and we lost 2-0. I remember standing on a huge open terrace behind a goal. The 200 or so travelling fans were lost on it. No atmosphere. Frozen half to death. A thoroughly miserable day out. The other time was the game when Sturrock had just left. Luke saved a penalty. 0-0, I think. A far more uplifting occasion with thousands of Argyle fans by now being accomodated in a lovely big stand - presumably on the same end?

I went to that game, it was a good day out. We stayed in Nottingham for a few hours after the match and sampled the local nightlife.
Back to top Go down
MikeWN

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 10:11 am

I've only been to Nottingham twice, and never for footy. 1st time was for a mate's stag which, as we were still fairly young, was much more of a shenanigans type of stag - constant bar-hopping, comedy outfit for the stag, one bloke cheating on his girlfriend, borderline fisticuffs, male nudity. Fun, in a hell on earth kind of way.

2nd time was the 20-20 world cup, when we had a cracking day enjoying everything the city had to offer, which was only spoiled when I woke up to find that some little shite had smashed my car window and nicked the stereo.

Anyway, I'll be in Brighton for this one, but with a bunch of fellow Janners, so we'll be finding a hostelry to watch the game in, I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 27, 2015 10:16 am

Anyone remember wba 'goal' never crossed the line.
Referee called wiseman !
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 4:48 pm

BREAKING NEWS

TICKETS are now on sale for our away game at Notts County on Sunday, October 10.
County have heavily discounted the game, which is due to be shown live on Sky Sports. Tickets for under 18s will cost just £5, with all other tickets priced at £12. The game at Meadow Lane will kick off at 2.30pm. 

Coach Details
Departure time - 7am 
Travel Club members - £29
Non members - £32

As usual, payment is via cash or cheque only with cheques made payable to "Plymouth Argyle Supporters Association"

If you are unable to make the Notts County game in person, remember that we will be screening the game live in the Tribute Lounge.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 3:40 pm

who's going then? taking my youngest, who, being born in Nottm, is a County fan!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2015 6:52 pm

Mapperley, darling wrote:
who's going then? taking my youngest, who, being born in Nottm, is a County fan!!

Well I'll say welcome back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2015 8:20 pm

Yes, good to hear from you again Mapperly. Nice to know the originals still use the forum.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 03, 2015 9:03 pm

Good to see you back old chap.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 9:50 am

Im touched! Been a busy year setting up my market garden, building yurts and delivering parcels, got a quieter month this month so its back to football.
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Notts County (A) Will be on Sky   Notts County (A) Will be on Sky - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Notts County (A) Will be on Sky
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2