tigertony
Josh Pope
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Elias

Elias

Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 8:22 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Warnock's mob had Trigger and Littlejohn up front. That's a fair approximation to Alessandra and Reid now. He had Corrazzin too.

A typical midfield would have been Maugé, Ledbitter, Clayton and Logan. Plenty of knuckle there if needed but not much flare. Also Barlow, Baird, Billy and McCall.

A back four of Patterson, Hill, Heathcote and Williams. Pretty solid if you ask me. Also Curran.

He didn't really bother with a goalie but we had either Blackwell or Cherry so not bad there either.

They might have taken a while to bed in but that's a pretty formidable team, horrible to play against and definitely useful in a ruck.

I saw Warnock's lot draw 0-0 with Beck's Lincoln at Sincil Bank on a freezing cold day. It was comfortably the worst game of football I have ever seen.

Goodness me id forgotten about that game, terrible fare.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 9:38 am

Worst Argyle game seen? 0 0 against Oxford in a foggy Tuesday night at HP toward the end of Macauley's tenure, away game has to be another Tuesday night game, Kiddy in the cup I believe, another foggy nil niller, home fans were singing "we can't see you any more!"
Back to top Go down
pilgrimfather

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 9:46 am

I think we'd do well under Warnock: good motivational skills would make a difference at this level. I don't believe he'd come here though so it's a moot point.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 10:36 am

pilgrimfather wrote:
I think we'd do well under Warnock: good motivational skills would make a difference at this level. I don't believe he'd come here though so it's a moot point.

he hasnt got motivational skills though he just whines and moans and pisses people off scratch scratch

Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 10:55 am

Motivational or just pissing people off...?

Caution swear words but bleeped out.

Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 12:33 pm

troubling thing is he lives in Leeds....
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 1:17 pm

JS plays down Barnsley link.

Plymouth Argyle boss John Sheridan has played down speculation linking him to the vacant manager's job at Barnsley.

The Tykes, who are 19th in League One, sacked Danny Wilson last week and Sheridan is among the favourites with some bookmakers to fill the role.

"I haven't heard anything about Barnsley," Sheridan told BBC Devon.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here are some links from Barnsley on who they would want as new manager.

1) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2) [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sheridan 20/1 Struggles above League Two level? Has an aura of 'baggage' about him, to me.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 1:41 pm

'An aura of baggage'.................. laugh
Back to top Go down
pilgrimfather

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 2:06 pm

'Don't care' is high on the list - good to see that apathy isn't restricted to Janners
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 10:35 pm

We were pants but they were OK.

That Lincoln game was an affront to the senses in every possible way. Two awful teams (which was one more than the meaningful passes attempted by both sides combined) and a freezing cold day compounded by a stiff breeze all topped off by a journey of duration so long that it could have been measured with a calendar.

I guess you had to be there to appreciate how awful it was.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 10:45 pm

Lincoln away last season was atrocious, one of the worst I've seen in my short tenure watching Argyle in comparison to some of you lot! That was horrible, another 0-0 draw and Rommy Boco played the full 90. Think that was my third away game, having previously witnessed a 3-2 loss at Birmingham and the shocking 3-1 loss at Exeter.

No idea why I keep traveling. I promised myself that Mansfield was the last but just a few weeks later I was at Southend.. Ugh
Back to top Go down
Jeans & Sheux

Jeans & Sheux

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 10:49 pm

Oxford 5 -1 Argyle in 2011 has gotta be up there...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 10:54 pm

Sturrocks football at times took some beating for dull as feck. Both eras
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 11:18 pm

When my boys were at universities in London, the worse game we went to was the Brentford 7 nil beating in Mr Shilton reign, On the local bus going back to meet up with the wife it was heads down.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 16, 2015 11:38 pm

Tgwu wrote:
When my boys were at universities in London, the worse game we went to was the Brentford 7 nil beating in Mr Shilton reign, On the local bus going back to meet up with the wife it was heads down.

Again we were undeniably shocking on that day but they scored 7 so weren't totally clueless. In that Lincoln v Argyle game both teams were beyond poor. 90 minutes of aimlessly hoofing the ball forward to no disernable effect with a seemingly random change of direction half way through. I don't think they even managed a shot at goal let alone one on target. It was like football as imagined by 22 people who have never actually seen the game played before.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 6:28 am

Jeans & Sheux wrote:
Oxford 5 -1 Argyle in 2011 has gotta be up there...

My last game.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 8:33 am

Angry wrote:

A tad harsh. Second time around didn't amount to much and the first spell was originally built on keeping clean sheets and making the absolute best of set pieces. But Argyle definitely were more attractive to watch as they moved through the next league up-nothing dull about the 7-0 against Chesterfield,5-1 v Port Vale,6-0 V Tranmere or some fantastic away days at Swindon and Sheffield Wednesday, which was one of the very best and most stylish away performances that I've witnessed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 8:36 am

Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:

A tad harsh. Second time around didn't amount to much and the first spell was originally built on keeping clean sheets and making the absolute best of set pieces. But Argyle definitely were more attractive to watch as they moved through the next league up-nothing dull about the 7-0 against Chesterfield,5-1 v Port Vale,6-0 V Tranmere or some fantastic away days at Swindon and Sheffield Wednesday, which was one of the very best and most stylish away performances that I've witnessed.

It was a times nothing but Hoof Ball and sitting on 1-0 leads. 2nd time around was abysmal and shouldnt be forgotten by some who still want him to return.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 8:48 am

You don't amass 102 pts with hoof ball alone.....you just have to be angry at all times Angry.... don't you angry Angry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 8:54 am

zyph wrote:
You don't amass 102 pts with hoof ball alone.....you just have to be angry at all times Angry.... don't you angry Angry.

Noticed old man i said the words AT TIMES
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 9:03 am

Angry wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:

It was a times nothing but Hoof Ball and sitting on 1-0 leads. 2nd time around was abysmal and shouldnt be forgotten by some who still want him to return.

Not in the 2003/4 season. Just had a quick peep at the results for that season-Argyle won two matches by 1-0,both against Blackpool oddly enough, and were by far the highest scorers in the division with 85 goals. I'm definitely not advocating Sturrocks return but credit where it's due,that team developed from the clean sheets baseline into a very good attacking side which could be fluent and good to watch as well as being prolific.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 9:08 am

Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:

Not in the 2003/4 season. Just had a quick peep at the results for that season-Argyle won two matches by 1-0,both against Blackpool oddly enough, and were by far the highest scorers in the division with 85 goals. I'm definitely not advocating Sturrocks return but credit where it's due,that team developed from the clean sheets baseline into a very good attacking side which could be fluent and good to watch as well as being prolific.

And it certainly wasnt Barcelona stuff either. the league one winning season was good however even if he did walk at the worse possible time. half the reason he was fired so quick at Southampton was the football he had them playing and being an out of touch dinosaur with high profile players which would later effect him here in his 2nd spell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 9:15 am

It wasn't hoof ball or anything close to it. Kemp played hoof ball, as did Warnock and Jones. What the Sturrock 102 team played was miles different.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 9:47 am

I remember Timar hoofing the ball diagonally up the field to Halmosi more than once for Halmosi to score or cross, feck all wrong with that. It was the hoof it up the field to Fallon that smacked of desperation and earned us the hoofer moniker.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 17, 2015 10:02 am

Sturrock football was more direct than hoof. The keeper (usually Ro/ but sometimes Luke) would throw a quick ball out to one of the full backs they would either play it to a wide player and overlap or a diagonal ball to Lee Hodges would be played (who usually outjumped the oppo right back). Through the combined movement of the wide players and Friio taking up attacking positions, chances could be created. Stevie Adams was vital to that side also as he was disciplined enough to sit and allow the others to attack. The long ball to Trigger was often used as a release, but Trigger was so good at holding the ball and releasing to Argyle players, that his lack of goals wasn't a huge issue as he created so many other chances. Sturrock's football was fairly basic (which is why he struggled at Southampton, although his record wasn't terrible there- better than Redknapp) but was very effective which made it entertaining. The fitness of Sturrock's mk 1 side also aided results where a number of games were won/ recovered due to late goals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan to Barnsley   Sheridan to Barnsley - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sheridan to Barnsley
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next